LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Aaron Jones-RB-UTEP

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by gored49:
I agree but my notes clearly point out that you probably need to take a risk after round 3 (like Mixon will be really good but are you taking the chance on him keeping his nose clean? He could be a top 5 rusher for sure). If I took the time, I'm sure I could put together a list of rushers that should've been really good after round 2 and they didn't pan out. One right now for me personally is Tyler Ervin. I really thought he was going to be an overlooked RB in the draft last year that would surprise.

Not sure what your debating? There's pluses and minuses to just about every player in the draft. I can throw out 1st rd picks at RB that never reached their draft slot potential just as well. What I've been saying is you can fine good production at RB and not have to spend a top 5 pick on them. The top 10 list proves it...and regardless of the negatives you added to the guys on that list none were "generational" talents even if they had some off field issues, weren't the ideal size, injuries etc...

I'm all for going RB but not in the 1st, there's a ton of talent at that position and we need someone that fits what Kyle wants.

I was just pointing out why some of those later picks shined. I don't think I'm debating anything with you. Sounds like we are on the same page mostly. I just don't get hyped (or hopeful) about RBs not drafted high though. I think I blame Baalke for that. His RBs were garbage:
-Hunter (serviceable)
-James (late 2nd but close to a 3rd... terrible)
-Lattimore (waste)
-Davis (seems like a waste with better talent on the board)
-Kelvin Taylor (didn't even make the team)

Onto brighter days I hope!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I know right

this is a generational draft.
Originally posted by fatalherban:
Kinda hoping we draft him just cause he's from my home town.

You're from El Paso too? Yeah man he tore it up at utep. Saw him play several times. He was their only weapon and they still couldn't stop him.
I was just pointing out why some of those later picks shined. I don't think I'm debating anything with you. Sounds like we are on the same page mostly. I just don't get hyped (or hopeful) about RBs not drafted high though. I think I blame Baalke for that. His RBs were garbage:
-Hunter (serviceable)
-Lattimore (waste)

Could be that he's just a s**tty offensive evaluator
He seems a like genuinely good kid. Aside from the DUI, I wonder what the other character concerns were.

Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by fatalherban:
Kinda hoping we draft him just cause he's from my home town.

You're from El Paso too? Yeah man he tore it up at utep. Saw him play several times. He was their only weapon and they still couldn't stop him.

Yes sir, got to support the locals!
He had an excellent workout at the combine

Prior to the combine I had him as an UDFA that would get signed right afterwards. But obviously after that show he is getting drafted in the late rounds.

Very similar body to Freeman.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Real efficient runner.Makes good reads and does a great job setting up his blocks. Really good vision. Does a nice job in pass pro as well. Not really a physical back but rarely makes mental mistakes.
-Hunter (serviceable)
-Lattimore (waste)

And this is why I hope we suck it up and draft Mixon. The kid is talented. Yes he made a mistake 3 years ago. He owned up to it his draft stock took a hit and he has to live with that. Tired of drafting this late round rbs with hopes they can be serviceable. Mixon is a perfect fit for our scheme. He would probably start over Hyde if drafted.
Beyond his numbers, I immediately thought, "this guy's a lot like Gore". Virtually the same size, relentless, blue-collar, all kinds of adjectives you could describe him with, but at the end of the day, he's a baller. That the Niners gave him a private workout tells me they're definitely interested. Why wouldn't they be...he'd be a terrific compliment to Hyde, and you know Shanahan would exploit his receiving abilities. This is some draft for RB's...wow. I can't remember a draft so rich in quality RB's...especially so many that are excellent receivers. For what Coach wants to do with his RB's, I'd say Jones stacks up well against his competition.

Originally posted by Jaysimms:
-Hunter (serviceable)
-Lattimore (waste)

And this is why I hope we suck it up and draft Mixon. The kid is talented. Yes he made a mistake 3 years ago. He owned up to it his draft stock took a hit and he has to live with that. Tired of drafting this late round rbs with hopes they can be serviceable. Mixon is a perfect fit for our scheme. He would probably start over Hyde if drafted.

Ya Mixon is probably better than Hyde and I don't think anyone would argue that this kid is better than Mixon but I doubt Lynch will draft someone like that in his first draft.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
4.56, almost but not quite pedestrian.

Frank says hi with his 4.58
[ Edited by fan49 on Mar 29, 2017 at 2:39 PM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
What stood out to me is how well he sees the holes
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Beyond his numbers, I immediately thought, "this guy's a lot like Gore". Virtually the same size, relentless, blue-collar, all kinds of adjectives you could describe him with, but at the end of the day, he's a baller. That the Niners gave him a private workout tells me they're definitely interested. Why wouldn't they be...he'd be a terrific compliment to Hyde, and you know Shanahan would exploit his receiving abilities. This is some draft for RB's...wow. I can't remember a draft so rich in quality RB's...especially so many that are excellent receivers. For what Coach wants to do with his RB's, I'd say Jones stacks up well against his competition.

That was my first impression too. Same size same skills. But I dont think he can bulldoze like gore, or make a cutback like him. But I like the kid alot
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone