LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 156 users in the forums

Harold Landry Boston College DE/OLB

Yea, I admittedly havnt watched much of him this year, so if he's showing improvement and an effort to incorporate a variety of counters, then that only helps his draft stock.

I'm in the minority (and a broken record) but I think Clelin Ferrell passes the eye test and that Jeff Holland will present the most value as a pure edge due to his technique
Can Landry and Key both play SAM in base? Also how far away is Landry from Mack coming out of college? Thats why i was curious on how you would trade both out of 5 stars.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Can Landry and Key both play SAM in base? Also how far away is Landry from Mack coming out of college? Thats why i was curious on how you would trade both out of 5 stars.

Landry definitely could. Haven't watched enough of Key, but he seems like a good enough athlete to play SAM (more athletic than Lynch). None of these guys are close to Mack coming out of college. Mack would probably be the #1 or #2 pick in this class depending on whether Darnold comes out and how teams evaluate Rosen. Landry is the best pass rusher in a weak pass rushing class, but he's not an elite prospect like Landry. I like the Vic Beasley comparison - Beasley was a little more athletic/stronger and a little more refined as a pass rusher, but Landry has better length. Mack was a can't miss elite prospect like Clowney.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Nov 10, 2017 at 6:18 AM ]
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

Landry definitely could. Haven't watched enough of Key, but he seems like a good enough athlete to play SAM (more athletic than Lynch). None of these guys are close to Mack coming out of college. Mack would probably be the #1 or #2 pick in this class depending on whether Darnold comes out and how teams evaluate Rosen. Landry is the best pass rusher in a weak pass rushing class, but he's not an elite prospect like Landry. I like the Vic Beasley comparison - Beasley was a little more athletic/stronger and a little more refined as a pass rusher, but Landry has better length. Mack was a can't miss elite prospect like Clowney.
Did you mean Mack with the bolded? The sad part is that, when you are the top pass rusher, that immediately propels you to being a top-10 pick. So do you think Landry's future, if he were on our team, would project him being the SAM or LEO? It's not that I'm counting on Malcolm Smith to be a great player for us, but want that constant pass rushing presence that will compliment what Buckner and Thomas are bringing to the table.
Looks like the best fit in our system
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Did you mean Mack with the bolded? The sad part is that, when you are the top pass rusher, that immediately propels you to being a top-10 pick. So do you think Landry's future, if he were on our team, would project him being the SAM or LEO? It's not that I'm counting on Malcolm Smith to be a great player for us, but want that constant pass rushing presence that will compliment what Buckner and Thomas are bringing to the table.

Yeah, I meant Mack. Landry is probably a top 10 or 15 pick, but Mack was a lock to be a top 5 pick in his draft class as one of the 4 elite non-QB prospects available (I thought he could have been picked as high as #2 in that draft class after Clowney).

I think Landry or Key would play LEO on our defense. You want your most explosive edge rusher to rush the passer. Landry could play either position in my opinion, so he could shift down the road if we brought in another guy who could play LEO. Dont'a Hightower is the classic SAM linebacker who you probably wouldn't want at LEO. Landry is more like a poor man's Von Miller who can cover if you need him to, but you'd rather use him as a pass rusher.

Yeah, I meant Mack. Landry is probably a top 10 or 15 pick, but Mack was a lock to be a top 5 pick in his draft class as one of the 4 elite non-QB prospects available (I thought he could have been picked as high as #2 in that draft class after Clowney).

I think Landry or Key would play LEO on our defense. You want your most explosive edge rusher to rush the passer. Landry could play either position in my opinion, so he could shift down the road if we brought in another guy who could play LEO. Dont'a Hightower is the classic SAM linebacker who you probably wouldn't want at LEO. Landry is more like a poor man's Von Miller who can cover if you need him to, but you'd rather use him as a pass rusher.

So intriguing. There are lots of scenarios bouncing in my head. But they are all contingent on some team(s) getting excited about a QB, which we know will happen, and having the right trade on the table.

So intriguing. There are lots of scenarios bouncing in my head. But they are all contingent on some team(s) getting excited about a QB, which we know will happen, and having the right trade on the table.

We need to get atleast 2 pass rushers(1 that can play SAM) this upcoming off season. FA/Draft.
It sucks that Landry's ankle has kept him out of games. He's kind of become forgotten by the masses. I'm still on the Landry war wagon.

2. San Francisco 49ers | Harold Landry | EDGE | Boston College

Saquon Barkley is the popular pick here, but I'm not sure the 49ers would spent this pick on a running back. Pass-rushers tend to be more valuable in this range, and Landry would give them another explosive weapon on the edge to pair with last year's top pick, Solomon Thomas
http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/11/29/2018-nfl-mock-draft-updated-4-round-projections-after-week-12/
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 30, 2017 at 11:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
It sucks that Landry's ankle has kept him out of games. He's kind of become forgotten by the masses. I'm still on the Landry war wagon.

Saquon Barkley is the popular pick here, but I'm not sure the 49ers would spent this pick on a running back. Pass-rushers tend to be more valuable in this range, and Landry would give them another explosive weapon on the edge to pair with last year's top pick, Solomon Thomas
http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/11/29/2018-nfl-mock-draft-updated-4-round-projections-after-week-12/

In a trade back I'd be all for it. I can't see him going top 5. After that point you have to seriously consider it.

Originally posted by saniner:
In a trade back I'd be all for it. I can't see him going top 5. After that point you have to seriously consider it.

A combine performance comparable to Vic Beasley's should secure a top-10 spot for Landry. His tape is already great.

He needs to have a strong combine, tho.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 30, 2017 at 1:06 PM ]
Agree his injury and missed games was a bummer. Would love to end up with him
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

it could be a good thing if he slides.

It looking like we could trade down to #7-#15 and still get a difference maker. Ive seen some mocks having Harold at the tail end of the 1st too. Im sure he will ball out at the combine and raise his stock
Originally posted by Heroism:

I'm still bigger on Chubb. I think Chubb offers more versatility to his game. I will concede however that Landry is probably a better fit for this scheme as a SAM or LEO. His quickness and elite ability to bend and dip would be very difficult to handle split out wide.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Nov 30, 2017 at 2:36 PM ]
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Agreed I do think he would fit great in this scheme. Hopefully we can do a trade back and get him with a couple extra picks too
Share 49ersWebzone