There are 221 users in the forums

Nathan Peterman-QB-Pitt

I'm watching more of this kid and I like what I see...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/nathan-peterman?id=2558191

OVERVIEW A highly-recruited passer coming out of Florida, Peterman signed with Tennessee to get a chance to play SEC football. He had to feel snake-bit in Knoxville, however, since he didn't make it through his first start as a redshirt freshman or sophomore. Peterman played in four games in 2013, but broke his hand in his first start and never regained that spot (10-23, 45 yards, two INT). The next season, he was benched after two series in his only start and then was replaced by Joshua Dobbs -- who didn't let go of the reins. Peterman played in seven games that year (10-20, 49 yards). He earned his degree in only three years, however, so he transferred to Pitt to finish his career. Peterman started 11 games in 2015 (2,287 yards, 20 TD, seven INT) and held the job as a senior (2,855 yards, 27 TD, seven INT, 60.5 completion pct.)

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS- Smooth, quick set-up in pocket. Grips the ball with big, 10-inch hands. Poised in pocket and takes the hit to deliver a completion. Will set-up, slide and then re-set before making his throw. Can cut it loose from off-balance angles from bootleg or play-action if he sees a winning option break open early. Full field reader. Works all the way through his progressions. Shoots glances at safeties to keep them in check. Strong natural accuracy. Able to throw receivers open and lead them away from danger. Can pinpoint passes to moving targets in his intermediate work. Has enough arm to work field side, intermediate throws. Great vision. Sees passing windows before they develop. Throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Can put the ball on receivers' hands as soon as they come out of a break if coverage dictates it. Utilizes accuracy and anticipation to challenge windows on all three levels. Won at Clemson hanging five touchdown passes on their talented stop unit. Good escapability and can extend drives with his legs. Excellent deep ball accuracy completing 46.2 percent of his deep throws.

WEAKNESSES Inconsistent delivery base causes some throws to sail. Has instances where he short strides and is forced to muscle it to his target. Will float some throws on seams and dig routes. Will have to be mindful to drive the ball on pro level to avoid the ballhawks who are lurking at safety. Has to prove he has enough arm to challenge the same tight windows he did in college. Ball handling a little sluggish in wide receiver screens, hitches and most RPOs (run, pass option). Wants to play hero-ball at times. Needs to learn when to air-mail throw and move to next play rather than trying to get too cute with sideline throws. Can improve overall touch.

SOURCES TELL US "I like him. He made me a believer when I watched him against Clemson. I do want to see him throw live and get a feel for how the ball comes out. I never saw him in person and you can't get a feel for that stuff on tape." - NFC Director of PersonnelNFL

COMPARISON Derek Carr

BOTTOM LINE Peterman's experience in a pro-style passing attack gives him a head start headed into the league. His physical attributes are just average, but his accuracy, composure and anticipation are what sets him apart from some of the more physically gifted quarterbacks in this year's draft. Peterman's tape is sure to catch the eye of at least a few teams in need of a quarterback and he should come off the board by day two with a chance to become a solid starting quarterback in the future.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
The NFL draft profile compared him to Derek Carr?

Derek Carr and Kirk Cousins are two of the most frequent comparisons he's been getting. Don't think he's up there with Carr, but I can see the Cousins comparison. Smart quarterback that can operate on the move, beat a defense with his feet, good at throwing on the run, would fully expect the 49ers to bring him in for a workout.

Imo Cousins is a better quarterback then Carr. . . Stats seem to support that as well
Originally posted by Zachary13White:
Imo Cousins is a better quarterback then Carr. . . Stats seem to support that as well

I don't think you'd find one NFL GM that wouldn't take Carr over Cousins. He's about 4 years younger, a much more clutch player with better physical ability.

If Peterman turns out to be anywhere close to either one of them he'd be an excellent pick considering where he is currently slated to go.

Stats never lie...oh wait.
I'm thinking this kid may turn into Carson Wentz of this years draft...I really hope not hoping he stays under tha radar and we can get him in tha 3rd round...
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I'm thinking this kid may turn into Carson Wentz of this years draft...I really hope not hoping he stays under tha radar and we can get him in tha 3rd round...

Not a chance. I can see him move up somewhat but no more than a late 2nd rounder.
Seems like he'd be one of those good third or fourth round value picks to see if he develops. But second is reaching when we have the power to get a top 2 college prospect or the top 2 free agents.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

Not a chance. I can see him move up somewhat but no more than a late 2nd rounder.

Yeah I'd bite in the 3rd...I think he's got all the stuff Kyle looks for. Still on the Mitch bandwagon but I'd take Peterman over Mahomes value wise for sure.
I think he's a little underrated. Below average arm strength will hold him back from climbing up the draft boards too much. Exaggerated throwing motion, but he throws an accurate ball. Looks like a gamer. Has experience in a pro-style offense. What I like best is how he moves in the pocket, there are several instances when you see him slightly lean left or right to avoid pressure and deliver an accurate ball. Thats an underrated skill.

I don't think you'd find one NFL GM that wouldn't take Carr over Cousins. He's about 4 years younger, a much more clutch player with better physical ability.

If Peterman turns out to be anywhere close to either one of them he'd be an excellent pick considering where he is currently slated to go.

Depending how my roster was set up there would be instances I'd take Carr over Cousins and instances I'd take Cousins over Carr. .

Stats don't totally support that. And stats don't show you the TD he scored to beat the Ravens with 2 min left. Or the TD and 2 point conversion to beat the saints with 50 seconds left. Or the TD with 1:38 left to tie the Bucs then beat them in OT with 1:55 left. Or how about in the 4th quarter tying the panthers with a TD and 2 point conversion then on the next drive marching them down for the game winning field goal?
Per matt Miller

If I had to pick a quarterback winner today, Pitt's Nathan Peterman would be it. Ball zips out. Jimmy Garoppolo lite.
Got peterman as my #3

Mitch
Watson
Peterman
Kizer
Mahomes
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Got peterman as my #3

Mitch
Watson
Peterman
Kizer
Mahomes

If they get Garrett in the 1st, Peterman makes the most sense to me. Go OL or WR in the 2nd.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Got peterman as my #3

Mitch
Watson
Peterman
Kizer
Mahomes

If they get Garrett in the 1st, Peterman makes the most sense to me. Go OL or WR in the 2nd.

I say no matter who we pick in tha 1st & 2nd rounds we take Peterman in tha 3rd round
Share 49ersWebzone