LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

Baker Mayfield-QB Oklahoma

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Guy has been on fire as of late, along the same lines as a Russell Wilson, makes something out of nothing with his elusiveness. Wouldn't mind taking him in the 3rd round and up.
Love me some Baker Mayfield. I was hoping he would be available in the 6th round but he's playing his way up draft boards. His size and pocket presence will be the biggest knocks on him though.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Good college QB.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Good college QB.

he'll probably switch to wr in the nfl
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
he'll probably switch to wr in the nfl

Good college QB.

I think its especially critical for him to wind up in the right scheme. You pretty much have to tailor your offense to him freestyling and playing backyard football, his pocket passing ability is pretty limited and he isnt the same caliber of prospect that a guy like Russell Wilson was.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Good college QB.

I think its especially critical for him to wind up in the right scheme. You pretty much have to tailor your offense to him freestyling and playing backyard football, his pocket passing ability is pretty limited and he isnt the same caliber of prospect that a guy like Russell Wilson was.

Couldn't have said it better myself. That's exactly the type of QB Mayfield is, backyard type radical QB. Loves to bail from the pocket and make plays on his own, sometimes tries to do too much. That stuff will work in college, but NFL defenses will eat that up all day. Don't get me wrong I think he does some good things when he throws on the run, but I think he's gonna need some major tutoring in the NFL, he doesn't exactly have a laser rocket arm either.

I think Hue Jackson would be a good coach for him to work with, I think he could mold Mayfields mobility into his offense.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
MAYFIELD is GROSSMAN all over again..
I liked his game today...kid seems to have leadership skills and a winners mentality. Reminds me a bit of a smaller Derek Carr....Carr in a Drew Brees sized package. Gunslinger type. Now you can tell me how he's not like Carr in any way.

• jimrat
  • Veteran
According to ESPN he is not declaring.
I saw that just after I posted. I guess he got discourages by lack of support on this board.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Good thing he didn't declare.

Originally posted by Jcool:
Good thing he didn't declare.

NEW ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED:Undrafted Status!
Winner!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone