LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 410 users in the forums

LG Quenton Nelson - Notre Dame - Jr

Soon as the trade happened I went all in on this guy. Trade down a few spots and draft Nelson. Sign Weston Richburg, draft someone like Martez Ivey to be the swing tackle, and you have a solid line.

Nelson is a mauler at about 325, and he moves so well in space.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
He does not look like a nice guy hahaha
Quenton Nelson literally is BPA at 2, but I don't expect us to take him there if they want him.

They have to be smart about trading back if they do. With the state of college OL and OL-needy teams in the draft(ie everyone except the Cowboys and Raiders), someone could easily take in the top 5.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 31, 2017 at 11:26 AM ]
Do it. Then draft Price or sign a C
Start the rebuild of the Oline with this kid please!
I had a dream about this guy last night and just came to make a thread about him
If we don't get Barkley I am all for drafting this guy if we trade down. Even Iupati changed the culture of the team when we drafted him. This guy could be better.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Quenton Nelson literally is BPA at 2, but I don't expect us to take him there if they want him.

They have to be smart about trading back if they do. With the state of college OL and OL-needy teams in the draft(ie everyone except the Cowboys and Raiders), someone could easily take in the top 5.

yeah with Rosen, Barkley, Allen, Landry, L.Jackson, and possibly Darnold in the draft...it could push him down. Taking a guard that high is a little unheard of. I think the Redskins took Schrieff at 4 a couple of years and i still think that was a dumb mistake when Leonard Williams was on the board
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
yeah with Rosen, Barkley, Allen, Landry, L.Jackson, and possibly Darnold in the draft...it could push him down. Taking a guard that high is a little unheard of. I think the Redskins took Schrieff at 4 a couple of years and i still think that was a dumb mistake when Leonard Williams was on the board

Scherff is pretty much the perfect zone blocking guard. He has been terrific for Washington.
I wouldn't have a problem with this if we could move down a few slots if we are drafting 1 or 2

I had us taking him in the second round a few weeks ago. I like him. Not sure we could do that now, unless we move around in the draft.
Don't guards usually go in the 20's?
I don't care who, if we take a guard in the top 10 I will be pissed. We already have a first round pick OG coming off IR (another first round OG we acquired) and starting caliber OG can easily be had in rounds 2-4 and FA.

Reason I'm so anti-guard is rarely are guards ever worth their second contract whereas we could use a top 10 pick on a great player at a position you don't let great players hit FA (notably pass rush or a guy like Barkley).

Spending a top 5 pick on OG is such an overreaction when we could've easily spent a 3rd rounder on a few of the falling OG/OC in years past who have all become far superior to Fusco and Kilgore.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Oct 31, 2017 at 6:05 PM ]
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I don't care who, if we take a guard in the top 10 I will be pissed. We already have a first round pick OG coming off IR (another first round OG we acquired) and starting caliber OG can easily be had in rounds 2-4 and FA.

Reason I'm so anti-guard is rarely are guards ever worth their second contract whereas we could use a top 10 pick on a great player at a position you don't let great players hit FA (notably pass rush or a guy like Barkley).

Spending a top 5 pick on OG is such an overreaction when we could've easily spent a 3rd rounder on a few of the falling OG/OC in years past who have all become far superior to Fusco and Kilgore.

Tell that to the Cowboys who used a Top 16 pick on Zack Martin who has been worth every bit of that. Or the Redskins who drafted Brandon Scherff even earlier who is the best pure zone blocking guard in football. Quenton Nelson is a better prospect than Martin and could also be better than Scherff. Not sure how you could complain if the 49ers went that way considering the current state of the OL. You'd be bringing in a top end prospect who would start at LG from Day 1. Suddenly your new franchise QB has more time to throw and there's a lot more room for your RBs to run. Add a center in free agency and this OL becomes a night and day difference.
Absolutely love what I've seen with this guy, but I have a terrible track record in judging interior OL... I once said Jonathan Cooper was the top player of the 2013 draft!

Still, Nelson seems to move REALLY well for a guy his size.
Share 49ersWebzone