LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

LG Quenton Nelson - Notre Dame - Jr

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
yeah with Rosen, Barkley, Allen, Landry, L.Jackson, and possibly Darnold in the draft...it could push him down. Taking a guard that high is a little unheard of. I think the Redskins took Schrieff at 4 a couple of years and i still think that was a dumb mistake when Leonard Williams was on the board

Scherff is pretty much the perfect zone blocking guard. He has been terrific for Washington.

If the niners draft Nelson and he is 75% of Scherff it would be a win bc you are correct Scherff might be the best G in the league..
I'd be ok witb taken a OG as long as we can trade back 4-6 picks ...This may also be tha draft we draft a LT high like 3rd round Staley isnt getting any younger ...
Watching Scherff move in space is kind of silly. The guy runs like a tight end.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
I don't care who, if we take a guard in the top 10 I will be pissed. We already have a first round pick OG coming off IR (another first round OG we acquired) and starting caliber OG can easily be had in rounds 2-4 and FA.

Reason I'm so anti-guard is rarely are guards ever worth their second contract whereas we could use a top 10 pick on a great player at a position you don't let great players hit FA (notably pass rush or a guy like Barkley).

Spending a top 5 pick on OG is such an overreaction when we could've easily spent a 3rd rounder on a few of the falling OG/OC in years past who have all become far superior to Fusco and Kilgore.

Tell that to the Cowboys who used a Top 16 pick on Zack Martin who has been worth every bit of that. Or the Redskins who drafted Brandon Scherff even earlier who is the best pure zone blocking guard in football. Quenton Nelson is a better prospect than Martin and could also be better than Scherff. Not sure how you could complain if the 49ers went that way considering the current state of the OL. You'd be bringing in a top end prospect who would start at LG from Day 1. Suddenly your new franchise QB has more time to throw and there's a lot more room for your RBs to run. Add a center in free agency and this OL becomes a night and day difference.

Top 16 and top 5 are two different stories. I will still maintain Scherff was not worth that selection and pick should've been Leonard Williams. Teams can't sustain success paying OG's what Scherff will command when his rookie contract is up. If your top 5 paid players includes a guard you're going to be in trouble because guards are so much easier to find and have such a smaller impact on the game than a pass rusher, impact WR or FQB. Top 5 picks are so rare to attain you simply can't waste that pick on one of the least important positions on the football field. If we trade down to the 15 range and he's there then sign me up, but we already have 3 first round picks on our OL and Trent Brown. The problem isn't needing a top 5 pick caliber OG, it's needing a starting caliber one (and Fusco is not). We also quickly forget that Garnett who should be the left guard is on IR. Seems like a major waste to burn that high of a pick when we have a 1st round OG slotted for that position.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Oct 31, 2017 at 9:25 PM ]
trade down & draft him. get another 2nd if can. this kid plus frank ragnow would upgrade our line
Originally posted by bkbkeahi:
trade down & draft him. get another 2nd if can. this kid plus frank ragnow would upgrade our line

This.

Billy Price from OSU has a pretty high ceiling at C too.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
I don't care who, if we take a guard in the top 10 I will be pissed. We already have a first round pick OG coming off IR (another first round OG we acquired) and starting caliber OG can easily be had in rounds 2-4 and FA.

Reason I'm so anti-guard is rarely are guards ever worth their second contract whereas we could use a top 10 pick on a great player at a position you don't let great players hit FA (notably pass rush or a guy like Barkley).

Spending a top 5 pick on OG is such an overreaction when we could've easily spent a 3rd rounder on a few of the falling OG/OC in years past who have all become far superior to Fusco and Kilgore.

Tell that to the Cowboys who used a Top 16 pick on Zack Martin who has been worth every bit of that. Or the Redskins who drafted Brandon Scherff even earlier who is the best pure zone blocking guard in football. Quenton Nelson is a better prospect than Martin and could also be better than Scherff. Not sure how you could complain if the 49ers went that way considering the current state of the OL. You'd be bringing in a top end prospect who would start at LG from Day 1. Suddenly your new franchise QB has more time to throw and there's a lot more room for your RBs to run. Add a center in free agency and this OL becomes a night and day difference.

Top 16 and top 5 are two different stories. I will still maintain Scherff was not worth that selection and pick should've been Leonard Williams. Teams can't sustain success paying OG's what Scherff will command when his rookie contract is up. If your top 5 paid players includes a guard you're going to be in trouble because guards are so much easier to find and have such a smaller impact on the game than a pass rusher, impact WR or FQB. Top 5 picks are so rare to attain you simply can't waste that pick on one of the least important positions on the football field. If we trade down to the 15 range and he's there then sign me up, but we already have 3 first round picks on our OL and Trent Brown. The problem isn't needing a top 5 pick caliber OG, it's needing a starting caliber one (and Fusco is not). We also quickly forget that Garnett who should be the left guard is on IR. Seems like a major waste to burn that high of a pick when we have a 1st round OG slotted for that position.
Hi guys, my question for you guys then, can he play LT once Staley retires or gets injured or Is he strictly an OG? Didn't Branden Albert played OG then moved to OT later in his career? We all agree the Oline should be a priority this offseason.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Hi guys, my question for you guys then, can he play LT once Staley retires or gets injured or Is he strictly an OG? Didn't Branden Albert played OG then moved to OT later in his career? We all agree the Oline should be a priority this offseason.

His physical talent reeks all pro potential at Guard why would you move him?
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Ttade back and and get him. Only ither pisution Id consider is an edge ruahet, but this line needs some day 1 talent.

Originally posted by jcs:
No I don't want to move him. I'm just asking as the poster don't want a OG picked that high and argued that it's not worth paying them on their second contract. If he can play a solid LT but not all pro level once Staley leaves, would that justify paying him big money then? Will he transition to LT is what I'm asking? I guess my impression from what he's saying if he gets that big contract, we still have to spend a high pick or big money on a LT FA. We all know Staley is on his way out soon. I don't watch CFB that much and all I see are highlights and reviews. That's why I'm here is to read and ask knowledgeable posters like Phoenix, MD and yourself. Just because I ask doesn't mean that's what I want.
https://twitter.com/PFF_Mike/status/906733278522200064

Just ridiculous awareness.

That's amazing.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
No I don't want to move him. I'm just asking as the poster don't want a OG picked that high and argued that it's not worth paying them on their second contract. If he can play a solid LT but not all pro level once Staley leaves, would that justify paying him big money then? Will he transition to LT is what I'm asking? I guess my impression from what he's saying if he gets that big contract, we still have to spend a high pick or big money on a LT FA. We all know Staley is on his way out soon. I don't watch CFB that much and all I see are highlights and reviews. That's why I'm here is to read and ask knowledgeable posters like Phoenix, MD and yourself. Just because I ask doesn't mean that's what I want.
I look at a Guard like Nelson in the Larry Allen way.
Allen was good enough to be a probowl OT the two seasons or so that the cowgirls needed him there but he potentially is the GOAT at OG so he spent most of his time there not because of need but because he was so impactful from that position. Our HC/OC needs a great pulling guard to get his ZBS to work and we don't have anyone like that on this roster. They aren't that easy to find in F/A as you would think either as OG's are getting paid OT money these days.
Ok thanks. I really like what I see in this kid. We still have to find or groom Staley's replacement eventually. Get this kid and also OC in FA/draft and we should have a solid line. We need to fix that crappy line.

And this I think is the problem. To justify that pick AND then that second salary we will need him to have an even bigger impact on the game than being a top 5 guard, which could involve a move like that. Cowboys look great now because they have their elite QB and RB on rookie contracts but when it comes time to pay Dak, Martin may be one of the first casualties. You can't have Elliot, Dak, Tyron Smith, and Bryant paid fair market and the luxury of paying Martin what his contract will command.

Larry Allen at guard in today's NFL isn't worth a Top 5 pick. No matter how good an OG you have, your run and passing game will still suck if you don't have 4 other starting caliber OL around him. An OL is as strong as it's weakest link and paying $10M+ to the easiest to draft and least impactful of the OL positions defies logic. You would need him to hit his maximum possible potential to even come close to justifying it. Also look at how first round OG have performed lately? (we have 2 examples on our team). There are almost as many success stories in rounds 3/4 than round 1.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Nov 1, 2017 at 11:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone