LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

Malik McDowell DL/OLB - Michigan State

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Hard to see this guy not getting any love.

- Uses technique to plug gaps inside and fight double teams.
- Uses athleticism off the edge to contain and get to the QB.
- He's everything we wanted from our last 2 1st rounders.
- Very explosive off the ball.
- Great pad level doesn't give up leverage eventhough he's 6'6".
- Skilled and violent hands.
- High motor, relentless until the whistle.
- Would be an absolute steal from the late 1st and on.

Ideal position. 4-3 DT/ 3-4 DE
Film: http://draftbreakdown.com/players/malik-mcdowell/
I like him better than Buckner or Armstead.
One position we simply wont address.
Originally posted by English:

Agreed. If he can't play OLB you are right we won't even look at the guy
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by English:

Agreed. If he can't play OLB you are right we won't even look at the guy

Depends on who is selecting for us.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Very tempted to trade up if he's there at 20+ and grab him. We would fix the mistake we made for the last 2 drafts lol. I would even package AA or Buck in the deal while their stock is still high.
Originally posted by TheNef77:

Very tempted to trade up if he's there at 20+ and grab him. We would fix the mistake we made for the last 2 drafts lol. I would even package AA or Buck in the deal while their stock is still high.

Stop...buckner played so much better than this kid in college.

Love how you can close a book on a player after 5 games. If they aren't pro bowlers after a little more than a month in the league they suck ...tell me this who's playing better at DL as a rookie?
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Love how you can close a book on a player after 5 games. If they aren't pro bowlers after a little more than a month in the league they suck ...tell me this who's playing better at DL as a rookie?

I think Malik plays more violent than Buckner and AA but I'm not saying our ducks boys are bad. Not by any means. I just think Malik will be a better pass rusher than them.

I think Malik plays more violent than Buckner and AA but I'm not saying our ducks boys are bad. Not by any means. I just think Malik will be a better pass rusher than them.

Yeah he wasn't violent in college

One thing that both are good at is rushing the passer...Buckner hasn't been the issue with the D, yeah the run D sucks but that blame is on everyone on the defense (and coaching) not just two DL players.

He's putting up number on par with Leonard Williams in his rookie yr...everyone in here would have called him a bust based on all the s**t I'm reading.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Yeah he wasn't violent in college

One thing that both are good at is rushing the passer...Buckner hasn't been the issue with the D, yeah the run D sucks but that blame is on everyone on the defense (and coaching) not just two DL players.

He's putting up number on par with Leonard Williams in his rookie yr...everyone in here would have called him a bust based on all the s**t I'm reading.

Easy to look violent when a olineman is sitting in a pass pro set. Buck looks horrible when the OL can push back against the run. Even the Bills TE drove him 5 yards back on a run. It's been that way since high school at Punahou.

and why the highlight reel? Every NFL pro has a college highlight reel. Watch the game film. You'll notice a huge difference when McDowell fights a run block than when the Oregon boys do. For starters, Malik doesn't give up leverage like Buckner does. It's not even close. It's not that Buck is just a rookie, he's never had that in his game.

• TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
BTW, calm down on these numbers. Successful 3-4 DEs don't really produce numbers. Their teammates do. Perfect example, Justin Smith. Look at Aldon's numbers with and without Cowboy out there beating up Guards and Tackles. The whole defense looked lost that post season without Justin blowing things up on the line.

Anyone who got on Leonard Williams because of numbers is an idiot. They are the reason why the player of the year awards always go to a QB/RB. They don't understand the game. They just know this number is greater than that number. Now Williams is the Nose so his numbers will be even worse. They wouldn't put him there if he couldn't hold his own against the run.

Watch Christine Michael tear us up in the 1st half. Most of his big runs are in Buck's gap because Buck is getting handled and it's too big of a space for a LB to help. You can't say there was no help because Bowman was still back there. Big run games against NFL talent have been a common theme with the 2 Oregon boys. I don't expect anything different down the road unless we draft the next Patrick Willis to clean up that mess.
Easy to look violent when a olineman is sitting in a pass pro set. Buck looks horrible when the OL can push back against the run. Even the Bills TE drove him 5 yards back on a run. It's been that way since high school at Punahou.

and why the highlight reel? Every NFL pro has a college highlight reel. Watch the game film. You'll notice a huge difference when McDowell fights a run block than when the Oregon boys do. For starters, Malik doesn't give up leverage like Buckner does. It's not even close. It's not that Buck is just a rookie, he's never had that in his game.

Because your talking about McDowell who's in college so I provided college tape. He said he wasn't volient at the point of attack isn't true.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Because your talking about McDowell who's in college so I provided college tape. He said he wasn't volient at the point of attack isn't true.

Buck isn't violent at the point of attack which is why he gets driven back against the run.

Buck isn't violent at the point of attack which is why he gets driven back against the run.

Disagree...takes a whole team to stop a runner.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Disagree...takes a whole team to stop a runner.

I'm not talking about a whole team. I'm talking about him getting driven out on a 1 on 1 matchup. It's considered a loss if you go back 2 yards on a 1 on 1. Buck is giving up 5 on some plays.
Share 49ersWebzone