LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 564 users in the forums

Eagles trading up for Goff

Is anyone else at all worried that the Eagles' plan this whole time is to land one of the two QB's? In swapping picks with the Dolphins instead of receiving a 2nd or future pick, they have positioned themselves very well to make a deal with one of the four teams in front of us to knab a QB. The move seems very calculated, as if they are targeting a specific player. They reportedly took both Wenz and Goff out to dinner individually, and while they did resign Bradford, they don't seem overly committed to him based on the years. Letting one of these guys sit behind him for a year would probably be a great scenario for both of them.

Below is how I see the first seven picks panning out. Personally, I think this is the absolute nightmare scenario for the 49ers, and I'd hope we trade out of the pick if this happens:

1. Tennessee - Laremy Tunsil OT Ole Miss
2. Cleveland - Carson Wentz QB N. Dakota St
3. San Diego - Jalen Ramsey S Florida St
4. Dallas - Joey Bosa DE Ohio St.
5. Jacksonville - Myles Jack OLB UCLA
6. **TRADE** Philadelphia - Jared Goff QB Cal
7. San Francisco - DeForest Buckner DE Oregon
What they giving up? They have no 2nd round pick and have $34 million in guaranteed cash to their current QBs.

I see it like this....if Baltimore is willing to move down you don't think they'd call SF to see if they want Goff/Wentz as well? Who has more ammo to give? Also the Ravens wouldn't have to worry about missing the player they want if they trade down with SF compared to the eagles.

Plain an simple if SF really likes one of the two QBs they have the ammo to get them vs someone like the Eagles. Also the eagles needs help in that secondary, RB, and OL with Peters most likely in his last season with Philly.
Originally posted by Draftology:
Is anyone else at all worried that the Eagles' plan this whole time is to land one of the two QB's? In swapping picks with the Dolphins instead of receiving a 2nd or future pick, they have positioned themselves very well to make a deal with one of the four teams in front of us to knab a QB. The move seems very calculated, as if they are targeting a specific player. They reportedly took both Wenz and Goff out to dinner individually, and while they did resign Bradford, they don't seem overly committed to him based on the years. Letting one of these guys sit behind him for a year would probably be a great scenario for both of them.

Below is how I see the first seven picks panning out. Personally, I think this is the absolute nightmare scenario for the 49ers, and I'd hope we trade out of the pick if this happens:

1. Tennessee - Laremy Tunsil OT Ole Miss
2. Cleveland - Carson Wentz QB N. Dakota St
3. San Diego - Jalen Ramsey S Florida St
4. Dallas - Joey Bosa DE Ohio St.
5. Jacksonville - Myles Jack OLB UCLA
6. **TRADE** Philadelphia - Jared Goff QB Cal
7. San Francisco - DeForest Buckner DE Oregon

Swap Buckner and Bosa and this is a nightmare scenario.
So let me get this straight they pay $18 mil per year for Bradford, then pay Chase Daniels something like $15 mil total and now they trade up for a QB that's gonna cost them about $20 mil??

That's a very smart GM they got there.
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
So let me get this straight they pay $18 mil per year for Bradford, then pay Chase Daniels something like $15 mil total and now they trade up for a QB that's gonna cost them about $20 mil??

The cap increased significantly this year and will again next year. If they draft a QB, it will not count an additional $20 million against the cap - Mariota's cap hit is around $5 million. Daniel's cap number will be $5 million, and Bradford's will be $12.5 million. If the number 6 pick this year will have a similar cap impact as the number 2 pick last year, that's $22.5 million dedicated to the most important position in the sport next year. Yes, that's high, but not crazy high.
[ Edited by Draftology on Apr 1, 2016 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
What they giving up? They have no 2nd round pick and have $34 million in guaranteed cash to their current QBs.

I see it like this....if Baltimore is willing to move down you don't think they'd call SF to see if they want Goff/Wentz as well? Who has more ammo to give? Also the Ravens wouldn't have to worry about missing the player they want if they trade down with SF compared to the eagles.

Plain an simple if SF really likes one of the two QBs they have the ammo to get them vs someone like the Eagles. Also the eagles needs help in that secondary, RB, and OL with Peters most likely in his last season with Philly.
To move up two picks, it probably wouldn't cost more than their 1st, 3rd, and next year's 3rd or 4th. I personally don't think Baalke would trade our 1st and 2nd to move up one spot. However, we absolutely should if we love one of the quarterbacks available.

Technically, Bradford's deal is structured in a way that allows the Eagles to release/trade him in 2017 and actually gain cap room. They would only end up paying him an already-guaranteed $4M 2017 bonus but with a base salary of $13M, they gain $9M in cap space if he's off the roster before March.

That would leave them with Chase Daniel who has an $8M cap number and their THEN second year QB.

So you're only really carrying a big cap number for your QBs in 2016, but drafting a QB early sets them up nicely for 2017 and beyond both on the field and on the books.

The cap increased significantly this year and will again next year. If they draft a QB, it will not count an additional $20 million against the cap - Mariota's cap hit is around $5 million. Daniel's cap number will be $5 million, and Bradford's will be $12.5 million. If the number 6 pick this year will have a similar cap impact as the number 2 pick last year, that's $22.5 million dedicated to the most important position in the sport next year. Yes, that's high, but not crazy high.

this issue is they have $34 in guaranteed cash going to them for the next two seasons...no one is trading for Bradford's contract or Chase's deal. So your gonna tell me they are gonna bench or cut them and have all the dead money? You think they let a rookie sit the bench for at least a year instead of taking care of all those holes?

Why would they give all that money to Chase/Sam if their plan is to move up for a QB? Also your looking at possibly losing those 3rd round picks to move up for a QB, so they wouldn't be drafting anyone until the 4th round! They moved their starting LB,CB, and RB...QB isn't their top priority.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Baltimore's willingness to move back with Philly (if Philly is trying to move up) could hinge upon how many elite prospects they have on their board. If there is only one elite prospect left, they may call us...if at least 2 of the following : Buckner, Stanley, Elliott and or VH3 are held in elite regard by Ozzie perhaps they don't call us, or they do but take the better offer between us and Philly.

this issue is they have $34 in guaranteed cash going to them for the next two seasons...no one is trading for Bradford's contract or Chase's deal. So your gonna tell me they are gonna bench or cut them and have all the dead money? You think they let a rookie sit the bench for at least a year instead of taking care of all those holes?

Why would they give all that money to Chase/Sam if their plan is to move up for a QB? Also your looking at possibly losing those 3rd round picks to move up for a QB, so they wouldn't be drafting anyone until the 4th round! They moved their starting LB,CB, and RB...QB isn't their top priority.

For every team that doesn't have a franchise QB, getting one is a top priority. If they love one of the two QB's that could be available at 6, you're telling me that they are going to let Sam Bradford, Chase Daniel, or 3rd rd pick stop them from getting their guy?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Technically, Bradford's deal is structured in a way that allows the Eagles to release/trade him in 2017 and actually gain cap room. They would only end up paying him an already-guaranteed $4M 2017 bonus but with a base salary of $13M, they gain $9M in cap space if he's off the roster before March.

That would leave them with Chase Daniel who has an $8M cap number and their THEN second year QB.

So you're only really carrying a big cap number for your QBs in 2016, but drafting a QB early sets them up nicely for 2017 and beyond both on the field and on the books.

what about the $9.5 million in dead money for Sam if you cut him next yr?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/sam-bradford/

and Chase's $7 million in dead money?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/chase-daniel/

I don't care if the cap goes up your not gonna have almost $17 million in dead money for one position.

It's one thing to think about the money it's another to think about the other positions that they have holes at along with giving up more picks when they don't have many to begin with.
I think they moved up to grab Eze Elliott if he falls to 8, but a move for Goff could be possible.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
they can have him
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

what about the $9.5 million in dead money for Sam if you cut him next yr?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/sam-bradford/

and Chase's $7 million in dead money?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/chase-daniel/

I don't care if the cap goes up your not gonna have almost $17 million in dead money for one position.

It's one thing to think about the money it's another to think about the other positions that they have holes at along with giving up more picks when they don't have many to begin with.

As mentioned in my post, it's only $4M in dead money if he's off the roster before March. I never said anything about getting rid of Chase Daniels....he's very affordable as a veteran backup.

Given that it's only $4M in dead money, they'd be net positive $9M give Bradford's projected base.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 1, 2016 at 10:33 AM ]
Ive always said that if 2 QBs get taken before the 49ers pick, that means some other quality prospect has dropped and I am fine with that. I would like to see a QB but would not complain about Jack or Buckner.

If the 49ers really do like a QB then I dont see why they couldnt move up just as well. The jump from 7 to 5 would cost them their 3rs round pick, not a hefty price to pay if you think you are taking a franchise QB.

The 49ers arent in a great place in the draft(The Rams and Bears wins took care of that) but they are in a good place and they can afford to sit back and let the draft come to them if there isnt any one particular player that they want.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 1, 2016 at 10:33 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone