LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 254 users in the forums

The #SuckForGoff Watch

In an ideal world Kap will bounce back and we won't be part of this watch, but as the outlook doesn't seem to be too bright there's no reason not have this thread (especially after a Connor Cook Watch thread started earlier today).

Now I'm a Cal fan so you'll get a lot of compliments from me on Goff though I'm definitely not here to sell him as Andrew Luck 1.01. First, some evidence:

(as of this post these are the only 3 videos up in draftbreakdown on him, 2015 vs SDSU added on 9/18/15, at Texas added on 9/25/15))

Pros:

I love his feet (no fetish) after the ball is snapped - constantly moving but in a very controlled fashion which allows him to make a good throw at any given time. He has very good accuracy as evidenced by the film which will show the ball is almost always between the numbers. Great, not elite, arm strength that allows him to make all the throws. Different release points. Above average at scanning the field and going through his progressions. Above-average pocket presence/awareness. Not a statue - not Kap either by any means as far as being a running threat but he has good mobility and will pick up yards on the ground if you ignore that part of his game completely. He'll throw a good ball on the run. Good command of the huddle and gets a ++ for leadership thanks to being named team captain for a second straight season (by his teammates this time around, I forget whether by players or coaches last season). Experience - a starter since game one of his true freshman season.

Cons:

Decision-making can and definitely needs to improve. Still too many head-scratching decisions as the film will also show. Legitimate questions about his frame and whether he's too fragile for the NFL. He reportedly played at 210lbs last season (he's 6'4") and reports indicate he's up to 215lbs right now although I'll believe it when I see him in action starting this weekend. To be fair, he hasn't missed a game yet in two full seasons as a starter but defenses are a whole different monster at the pro level so concerns about how fragile he may be are definitely legit. On the plus side that same frame should allow him to put on some weight so we'll just have to wait and see until a combine weigh-in. By all accounts a smart/bright kid but can he quickly adapt to a pro-style system? This will be a big question when teams consider whether to grade him as a first rounder. He plays strictly from the gun (some pistol) and so there's very little film of him taking a snap under center and dropping back. There will also be a question about whether he can handle a more complex offense (he's admitted on interviews that coaches make game-plans easy) but this is less of a concern to me as he is bright/smart with a very good football IQ.

The stats will make you like him and this is partly a result of the system although make no mistake - a lot of it is a result of how good Goff is.

2013 (true freshman): 320/531 (60.3%), 3,508yds (6.6 avg) 18TD 10INT 123.2 rating.
2014 (sophomore): 316/509 (62.1%), 3,973yds (7.8 avg), 35TD, 7INT, 147.6 rating.

My projections for 2015: 338/520 (65%), 4,500yds, 43TD, 10INT.

What we can all agree on is that as far as QB prospects go Goff is definitely someone to keep our eyes on this season. He's said all the right things this offseason as far as the draft hype goes. Not listening to it, not focused on the future, wants to win at Cal, wants to win every week and everything else will take care of itself. It remains to be seen whether he'll really be able to deal with that pressure during the season.

For those of you who know nothing about Goff, make sure you have time to read this piece: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25297136/how-cals-jared-goff-became-nations-top-nfl-quarterback-prospect
[ Edited by vrabbit on Sep 25, 2015 at 4:27 PM ]
Connor Cook.

...I like Goff though.
I'm really leaning towards putting Goff and Cook as 1-2 and Hackenberg as #3 on my QB Rankings.

I love Goff, and Cook to be honest, either would be great if Kap does do bad, and is let go.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I like Goff, would love to have him and hope to have him as a 49er. With that said, dude needs to go eat a cheese burger.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
God this is stupid. Maybe we should wait for an oline first, then assess the QB situation. K?

No it isn't, this is the draft forum, top QB's always get discussed. Not a big deal really.
Surely likely to go way earlier that we will draft. I suppose we could trade with Oakland.
I'd like to see

• if other Cal fans on this board agree with my assessment
  • opinions on Goff from those of you who follow the draft more closely than most of us
I need someone to explain the love for Goff. I love the offensive system he is in; however, the "bear raid" offense is nothing more than the Hal Mumme/Mike Leach air raid spread offense. The same offense that has produced Tim Couch, Brandon Weeden, Manziel, and to a lesser extent RG3 and Sam Bradford (their offenses had many air raid concepts to them).

With no offensive line the things that made Goff good at California would not work in a pro system.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
I'd like to see

• if other Cal fans on this board agree with my assessment
  • opinions on Goff from those of you who follow the draft more closely than most of us

Since we are loaded with draft picks this year and next -- I'd like to see one of two things happen.

1st: If we tank this year and get into Goff range -- package some of those picks to draft him
2nd: If we don't totally tank and finish in the 6-10 range (doubtful) -- I'd like to see Baalke do some wheeling and dealing and beef up the offensive line

I just don't think we're going to get a good read on Kaepernick until we give him a solid line to protect him. We weren't at all solid last season and it showed. I think we're in even worse shape this season.

I mean, is it any wonder that Tony Romo perhaps had his best year ever -- and the Dallas ground game was dominating -- only after the team had invested heavily in offensive linemen in the two previous drafts? I don't think that's a coincidence.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Surely likely to go way earlier that we will draft.
Not necessarily

Originally posted by AmpLee:
God this is stupid. Maybe we should wait for an oline first, then assess the QB situation. K?

No.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Sep 1, 2015 at 5:34 PM ]
I like Goff's arm talent a lot, but projecting QBs from the Bear Raid/Air Raid offense to the NFL is very tricky. That said, there are hardly any real pro-style offenses left in college football, so this will be true of virtually any QB coming out in 2016.
Agreed James. Cook does come from a pro style offense though. Air raid qbs have not transitioned well to the pro level. From Couch to Geno Smith, qbs from this system need time to develop and adjust to playing qb at the pro level or there is a high chance of drafting a bust if you play them right away.
LOL at vrabbit thinking we will be anywhere close to the number 1 overall pick. And this guy writes for the zone. We may not be playoff caliber, but we are at at least top 20 in the league.
Originally posted by LaMattsBlue:
LOL at vrabbit thinking we will be anywhere close to the number 1 overall pick. And this guy writes for the zone. We may not be playoff caliber, but we are at at least top 20 in the league.

Who said anything about the #1 overall pick?
Share 49ersWebzone