LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 242 users in the forums

49ers Draft Grade

49ers Draft Grade

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Honestly when I watched Tartts highlights, it reminded me of Patrick Willis. Obviously they play different positions, but they have similar instincts

Agree! He's one of those guys who isn't fast in a 40 but always seems to be batting down passes or cutting off runners at the LOS..

Edit: I take it back...he's faster than Reid! Can that be right? Wow! No...exactly the same 40 time!

if u watch Tarrt on tape he covers ground ridiculously fast, one of the reasons he reminded me of Patrick
  • crew
  • Veteran
Tartt will be on the field this season more often than not, he is that good, great pick, best safety in the draft.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Honestly when I watched Tartts highlights, it reminded me of Patrick Willis. Obviously they play different positions, but they have similar instincts

Agree! He's one of those guys who isn't fast in a 40 but always seems to be batting down passes or cutting off runners at the LOS..

Edit: I take it back...he's faster than Reid! Can that be right? Wow! No...exactly the same 40 time!

if u watch Tarrt on tape he covers ground ridiculously fast, one of the reasons he reminded me of Patrick

Patrick played in the SEC. Much different speed
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Patrick played in the SEC. Much different speed

True, and I don't think anyone is gifting Tartt the Willis mantle, but he is much better than many believe. He'll be one of the most fun to watch during TC and preseason.
Lowercase d
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Lowercase d

Bookcase L
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Round 1 and 2 were potential guys, that's not buying very low. And I'm starting to think Tartt was a mulligan for Ward. I don't hate this draft, I'm just worried about a staff that's not proven (working together) to make this all work. And while Tomsula is a great DL coach, he couldn't make Balmer a worthy starter.

Balmer did`nt want it and that is NOT Tomsula`s fault , Armstead said He is willing to get better,He wants it,a tale of 2 guys going in different directions,Apples and Oranges.

And we dont know how much Armstead wants it either. Of course Armstead would speak positive, Balmer did, Coffee did...every player does.
Originally posted by jreff22:
And we dont know how much Armstead wants it either. Of course Armstead would speak positive, Balmer did, Coffee did...every player does.

`My biggest worry in the draft...his motor. It's been questioned by pundits so we will have to see whether there was a reason for the concern. If he does work out I really like the draft. If he doesn't...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
A solid B. They addressed needs, future and present, a lot of people will criticize them because the needs perceived by fans were different than the needs perceived by the team. This was a draft where they brought in a lot of raw players that they feel can be coached up to their full potential, lots of intriguing talent, from Armstead who has the potential to be a monster, Tartt who could be the starting strong safety in a short time, who has been compared to Landon Collins but having a higher ceiling, you have Eli Harold, a young, super athletic pass rusher, they added some depth on the OL, some guys who will compete for roster spots, a terrific pick of Mike Davis at RB, they added a WR for the future in Smelter, a TE prospect with a whole of upside, a replacement for Andy Lee which will better allow them to re-sign players in the future, all in all, a solid effort, lots of raw talent for the coaches to work with.

Nice post, Phoenix... I think what a lot of zoners are frustrated about is the fact that the Niners didn't draft an ILB or a CB or a WR in the early rounds. What they undoubtedly fail to realize is that this was a down year in the draft for ILBs, CBs, and that the bust rate for 1st and 2nd round WRs is relatively high. It was a bad year in the draft for TEs as well, by the way.

It is clear now that Baalke didn't draft for "need" as much as some would like because he probably felt the guys on the current roster were more talented and/or loved the game more than the guys they could have drafted. If you all remember, one of the qualities highest on Baalke's list for potential draft picks is a real love for the game of football. Also, when one actually looks more deeply, Baalke did indeed draft for need. DE, SS, OLB, and TE are certainly 4 of the top 6-7 "needs" on the team, when depth, injury history, and FA are factored into the equation.

Again, good perspective, Phoenix!

Cheers!
Originally posted by WildBill:
and I don't see how you can grade something before they have had a chance to play, all people who do this for a living say you can't grade until at least three years later, although I will admit some are more obvious and you can like LMJ and Jenkins.

First I won't argue that Watts is a great player, but the niners scheme emphasizes the LB and the pass rush comes from them and that is what they were looking for. As for for off field baggage, there was NONE at the time of the draft, where as Bowman had, point you cannot tell. Look at the history of the draft, there were those that were clean and turned into headcases, while others made mistakes but learned from them while others didn't. Aldon was what the niners needed for the type of 3-4 they ran.

You talk about drafting players who would have gone earlier if not for an injury, again, you can't tell, people who have had a clean bill of health all through there college career have gotten injury prone when they reached the pros while those who have had injuries have played a long time, case in point Gore and many others. Maybe you are to young to remember the injured players coming out of college that Walsh selected that succeeded.

Speaking of the great Walsh-he had more than several drafts where he whiffed completely like the draft that had Jenkins and LMJ.

Name me one GM that is perfect and I will show you one that whiffed many times.

What players has he picked, well you are forgetting Bowman, Iupati, Anthony Davis, Aldon, Kaep (while he is not Brady, Manning, or Rodgers I am willing to bet that more than half the teams in the NFL wouldn't mind him as their starting QB), Culliver, Hunter, Miller, Reid, Kilgore, Hyde, Aaron Lynch, Borland (yes he retired-but that doesn't count as a whiff-talent wise he was a good pick and proved it in his only year-NO ONE saw it coming (retirement),

Others are on the right track like Dontae, Carradine (finished strong in 2014), Dial

While others you can't judge yet like, Ward (can't judge yet-but if you are going to reference what Marshall did to him, just remember he was a rookie and even Dieon Sanders got burned by someone named Rice and others), Marcus Martin, Brandon Thomas, Ellington, Riser, Millard, Ramsey, not to mention this draft class.

Plus you don't just judge a GM by the draft alone, but also by the fa he brings in like-Carlos, Cox, Boldin, Bathea, Torey Smith, and Whitner to name a few and he DIDN'T OVER SPEND!

Thank you Wild Bill, for your voice of sanity...in a sea of madness...

Cheers!

• All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
A solid B. They addressed needs, future and present, a lot of people will criticize them because the needs perceived by fans were different than the needs perceived by the team. This was a draft where they brought in a lot of raw players that they feel can be coached up to their full potential, lots of intriguing talent, from Armstead who has the potential to be a monster, Tartt who could be the starting strong safety in a short time, who has been compared to Landon Collins but having a higher ceiling, you have Eli Harold, a young, super athletic pass rusher, they added some depth on the OL, some guys who will compete for roster spots, a terrific pick of Mike Davis at RB, they added a WR for the future in Smelter, a TE prospect with a whole of upside, a replacement for Andy Lee which will better allow them to re-sign players in the future, all in all, a solid effort, lots of raw talent for the coaches to work with.

Nice post, Phoenix... I think what a lot of zoners are frustrated about is the fact that the Niners didn't draft an ILB or a CB or a WR in the early rounds. What they undoubtedly fail to realize is that this was a down year in the draft for ILBs, CBs, and that the bust rate for 1st and 2nd round WRs is relatively high. It was a bad year in the draft for TEs as well, by the way.

It is clear now that Baalke didn't draft for "need" as much as some would like because he probably felt the guys on the current roster were more talented and/or loved the game more than the guys they could have drafted. If you all remember, one of the qualities highest on Baalke's list for potential draft picks is a real love for the game of football. Also, when one actually looks more deeply, Baalke did indeed draft for need. DE, SS, OLB, and TE are certainly 4 of the top 6-7 "needs" on the team, when depth, injury history, and FA are factored into the equation.

Again, good perspective, Phoenix!

Cheers!

Baalke said he drafts for team needs 2-3 years from now. So CB and WR are team needs that he drafted for when he drafted 4 DB's last year and Patton and Ellington.

DE/DT was an unexpected need because of the Ray McDonald situation. OLB is a future need because of the looming Ahmad Brooks cut and unpredictable Aldon Smith situation.
Originally posted by Hangman_52:

Baalke needs to be fired, beaten, and thrown in jail for what he did to the 49ers faithful with this draft.

Disagree or agree, this made me LOL.

I think it was a poor draft. I was very underwhelmed by all picks except for the Mike Davis and Smelter.

I would give it a D grade.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Solid B. Base on I don't know what our Head Coach and GM have in mind, so the players we got may be part of a plan. I just don't have a clue why they would waste draft picks on TE's. We could have rolled the dice on late draft picks on WR or CB and might find a GEM.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by Hangman_52:

Baalke needs to be fired, beaten, and thrown in jail for what he did to the 49ers faithful with this draft.

Disagree or agree, this made me LOL.

I think it was a poor draft. I was very underwhelmed by all picks except for the Mike Davis and Smelter.

I would give it a D grade.

The guy's name is HANGMAN...do you see why I call them SuicidePosters now? And you better not be becoming one. Avoid the Zombie disease!
Originally posted by NCommand:
The guy's name is HANGMAN...do you see why I call them SuicidePosters now? And you better not be becoming one. Avoid the Zombie disease!

lol, nah... no jumping from ledges in my future.

Just being honest.. didn't like much of our draft, but it's not that big a deal. This team isn't poorly stacked of talent as it is. Back in the playoffs, if Kaepernick improves his game.
Share 49ersWebzone