There are 165 users in the forums

Wide Receivers we should target and when, your wide receiver draft board

i think the jets trading for marshall will make it unlikely that they target a WR at 6. good for us if we want a wideout in the first?!
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AlmighT49er:
i think the jets trading for marshall will make it unlikely that they target a WR at 6. good for us if we want a wideout in the first?!

The Marshall trade leaves the Bears looking for a WR, but still see them going Shelton in 1st at #7. But my thinking is that they go WR in Rd 2 at #39 and take Philip Dorsett, who would be a perfect compliment to Alshon Jeffery.
Originally posted by daragon:

So are you saying those 3 WRs are all Quinton Patton fans?
Originally posted by Travisty13:

They like his downfield blocking.
I'm a big fan of trading back in the first to gain a late second or third round pick. There are so many wideouts in this draft that I'll be upset it we don't get two. I think we have to get rid of Stevie esp because of the cap situation and that this draft has some good talent at that position.

I would like us to target DGB late first or even Dorsett. I feel that we need a burner and you can't count on Simpson although I think he can add some value. Second round would be Perriman or maybe Dorsett could fall that far. Third round would be Conley and Bell. Fourth Lockett, Crowder, Smith and Diggs although I'm hoping he will be there in he fifth. I just saw the Greenberry highlight and would take him in the sixth all day if he's there.

I know there's some good receivers I left out.

I'd love to see somethis like this:
Boldin
Dorsett
Conley/Bell
Patton
Ellington
Simpson

Go Niners.
I love DGB, but I would much rather have Cooper or White than DGB and a second round pick whether it's a receiver (Devin Smith/Dorsett) or another position. If we are able to trade up using a 2nd round pick, we have a new #1 receiver and Patton and Ellington can fight for the slot. Then we can wait a season to see if one of them develops so we know if we have to draft another receiver in 2016 to replace Boldin.

If Cooper or White is there at 7, I'd offer the Bears our 1st and 2nd round picks (probably not enough, but worth a shot) to try to get them. The Bears may be willing to do that because Shelton could be available at 15 or they could have a shot at Dupree/another pass rusher. Someone else pointed out that the Bears are switching to a 3-4 defense, so they have significant needs on the front 7 which would make our 2nd round pick attractive.

If one of them falls to 8 or 9, I'd offer the same trade and hope to god we are able to get one of them.

If we don't get either of them and Parker isn't available at 15, I'd hope we trade back and grab DGB/Strong/Carl Davis in the 1st. If DGB and Strong are both gone, then Dorsett/Smith/Perriman are attractive in the 2nd round if one of them falls to 46.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
I love DGB, but I would much rather have Cooper or White than DGB and a second round pick whether it's a receiver (Devin Smith/Dorsett) or another position. If we are able to trade up using a 2nd round pick, we have a new #1 receiver and Patton and Ellington can fight for the slot. Then we can wait a season to see if one of them develops so we know if we have to draft another receiver in 2016 to replace Boldin.

If Cooper or White is there at 7, I'd offer the Bears our 1st and 2nd round picks (probably not enough, but worth a shot) to try to get them. The Bears may be willing to do that because Shelton could be available at 15 or they could have a shot at Dupree/another pass rusher. Someone else pointed out that the Bears are switching to a 3-4 defense, so they have significant needs on the front 7 which would make our 2nd round pick attractive.

If one of them falls to 8 or 9, I'd offer the same trade and hope to god we are able to get one of them.

If we don't get either of them and Parker isn't available at 15, I'd hope we trade back and grab DGB/Strong/Carl Davis in the 1st. If DGB and Strong are both gone, then Dorsett/Smith/Perriman are attractive in the 2nd round if one of them falls to 46.
I actually think Parker fits best with us. He is big fast and has the largest catch radius. Most importantly he is a proven down field big play WR as his ypc indicates. I like him better than Kevin White. Cooper is the best but Parker is next in line and should be reasonably attainable. White is a fine athlete but he is not the player Cooper or Parker is IMO. He has all the measurables but I'm not sure he fits with our QB like Cooper or Parker would. If we could draw up what we need here it would be a guy like Cooper or Parker. You put the ball down field anywhere in Parkers vicinity and he comes down with it. He is a big play guy and we need that to beat SEA
Depends on what board you're looking at. 49ers board, or BPA at WR. Below, you'll find my current listings (very much subject to change).

49ers board is calculated by my estimated overall player value + value to our team based on what elements/attributes we currently lack.
Overall board is based solely on the current player scores I've given, which follow a general formula to calculate their grades.

49ers WR Board
1. Amari Cooper, Alabama
2. Kevin White, WVU
3. Devante Parker, Louisville
4. Breshad Perriman, UCF
5. Phillip Dorsett, Miami
6. Tyler Lockett, Kansas State
7. Jaelen Strong, Arizona State
8. Nelson Agholor, USC
9. Devin Smith, Ohio State
10. Dorial Green-Beckham, Oklahoma
11. Dres Anderson, Utah
12. Sammie Coates, Auburn
13. Rannell Hall, UCF
14. Tre McBride, William & Mary
15. Chris Conley, Georgia
16. Rashad Greene, FSU
17. Devin Funchess, Michigan
18. Justin Hardy, ECU
19. Tony Lippett, Michigan State
20. Ty Montgomery, Stanford

Overall WR Board
1. Amari Cooper, Alabama
2. Kevin White, WVU
3. Devante Parker, Louisville
4. Jaelen Strong, Arizona State
5. Breshad Perriman, UCF
6. Phillip Dorsett, Miami
7. Tyler Lockett, Kansas State
8. Dorial Green-Beckham, Oklahoma
9. Nelson Agholor, USC
10. Justin Hardy, ECU
11. Devin Smith, Ohio State
12. Sammie Coates, Auburn
13. Dres Anderson, Utah
14. Rannell Hall, UCF
15. Rashad Greene, FSU
16. Devin Funchess, Michigan
17. Chris Conley, Georgia
18. Tre McBride, William & Mary
19. Tony Lippett, Michigan State
20. Ty Montgomery, Stanford
You're clearly not a DGB fan, but I still would expect him to be higher on the 49ers' board than on other boards. He's a red zone threat and had the size and speed to be a deep threat. His YPC average is a little lower because the team used him on screens when defenses played off. He doesn't have the length of Evans or Benjamin but he has the kind of frame that makes it hard for corners to get a shot at the ball.

He's not a great run blocker which may be part of your rational for dropping him on the 49ers' board, but a lot of the smaller receivers aren't good run blockers either. At least this guy has the tools to become good at run blocking.

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I actually think Parker fits best with us. He is big fast and has the largest catch radius. Most importantly he is a proven down field big play WR as his ypc indicates. I like him better than Kevin White. Cooper is the best but Parker is next in line and should be reasonably attainable. White is a fine athlete but he is not the player Cooper or Parker is IMO. He has all the measurables but I'm not sure he fits with our QB like Cooper or Parker would. If we could draw up what we need here it would be a guy like Cooper or Parker. You put the ball down field anywhere in Parkers vicinity and he comes down with it. He is a big play guy and we need that to beat SEA

Pillbusta, not to be a smartass BUT how do Parker and the word Fast go together,Parker has 4.5 speed but I guess that is the type of Speed Baalke is looking for,but it does1'nt make sense because that is what patton runs and Ellington is faster then Parker ...I guess there are a LOT of Parker Fans on this Forum,I look at Strong and Parker being the same type of reciever Average speed ,Big bodied,and lack get consistent separation.
[ Edited by jrouter4949 on Mar 7, 2015 at 11:12 AM ]
You're clearly not a DGB fan, but I still would expect him to be higher on the 49ers' board than on other boards. He's a red zone threat and had the size and speed to be a deep threat. His YPC average is a little lower because the team used him on screens when defenses played off. He doesn't have the length of Evans or Benjamin but he has the kind of frame that makes it hard for corners to get a shot at the ball.

He's not a great run blocker which may be part of your rational for dropping him on the 49ers' board, but a lot of the smaller receivers aren't good run blockers either. At least this guy has the tools to become good at run blocking.

Admittedly, I'm not. I don't hate him as a prospect, I just don't rate him quite as high. The potential is difficult to ignore, sure, but there are certain things you want to see done at a 1st round level if you're taking a guy that high. I don't know if Baalke feels the same about DGB, but I trust him as our GM to make the right calls and think he has a great feel for what we need.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Pillbusta, not to be a smartass BUT how do Parker and the word Fast go together,Parker has 4.5 speed but I guess that is the type of Speed Baalke is looking for,but it does1'nt make sense because that is what patton runs and Ellington is faster then Parker ...I guess there are a LOT of Parker Fans on this Forum,I look at Strong and Parker being the same type of reciever Average speed ,Big bodied,and lack get consistent separation.

Parker ran a 4.45 40 not a 4.5 40. By comparison on strictly 40 times :

ODBJ : 4.43
Randall Cobb : 4.46
Justin Hunter : 4.44
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Admittedly, I'm not. I don't hate him as a prospect, I just don't rate him quite as high. The potential is difficult to ignore, sure, but there are certain things you want to see done at a 1st round level if you're taking a guy that high. I don't know if Baalke feels the same about DGB, but I trust him as our GM to make the right calls and think he has a great feel for what we need.

Dorial Green Beckham should be a 2nd round prospect based on the fact he hasn't played in a year and is a huge risk due to off the field concerns. I might take a gamble on him at the very END of the 1st, but that's only if we can trade back and pick up an extra pick because we dont have as much depth as we did last year to stash players. We have some real needs this year at key positions. Him being out a year means it will probably take him at least a year to be productive. Josh Gordon had similar talent and more production and was had for a 2nd round pick.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by Travisty13:

They like his downfield blocking.

What's happening right now? haha
Share 49ersWebzone