There are 267 users in the forums

3rd Draft in a Row Without a Projected Starter

If you ignore Thomas, who won't be capable of competing for a starting spot this year, and stretch the definition of "starters" to include slot CB and short yard RB, we may have 4/4 players from the first 3 rounds starting on opening day.

Edit: now if you include KR/PR, it may be 5/5
[ Edited by nannite on May 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Can we also debate about Roby getting lit up over and over again last season? He didn't look like a 1st round CB, or even a 2nd round CB. Nickel corner was a huge need, 49ers went out and took care of it.

Sure, we can debate about it. But, just to be clear, wasn't he graded as a 1st round or at worst top 2nd CB by most analysts ?

Yea. He actually was, enough for denver to draft em. But so was ward! Lmao ok i aint trying to fuel the fire tho lmao
Martin will probably end up being a starter at center. Hyde could be the RB of the future.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Overall it's an ok draft. I too wish we would have used the picks as ammunition and went up and made a splash for a player or two that can be game changers. We went for depth. I think Borland is ok, but kind of a waste of a pick. We could have addressed ILB/st later with a guy like Lamin Barrow.

And does it bother anyone else that we started the draft off with two 2nds and three 3rds but ended up with only one 2nd and three 3rds even though all we've done is traded back? I know we picked up a 4th, 5th, and 6th, but still! It's kind of weak that we only ended up with one selection in the second round. Not a fan of stockpiling picks in rounds 4 and 5. We should have move up in rounds 2 and 3. We essentially lost a second round pick so we could have some more picks in rounds 4-6. That's garbage.

I think with this roster, you're kind of limited to adding game changers as your roster is filled with game-changers. I was a HUGE proponent of adding a nickel corner, particularly Verrett and the 49ers did just that with Ward, a guy with arguably higher upside due to his versatility. Beyond that, no rookie CB, no rookie WR was going to join this roster and start. This was always about adding more depth to this team overall and they have done a splendid job of that.

As much as people bash the Borland pick, what nobody seems to be considering is what would happen if Willis missed a few games, got injured while Bowman is out. Are you comfortable with Wilhoite and Moody starting at ILB? I'm not. Borland provides a guy who is ready to start, ready to contribute, a highly instinctual football player who I expect to see starting alongside Willis next season. He'll be a major special teams contributor as well so I really can't complain about the pick. The heart of the 49ers defense is their front seven and added depth after the Bowman injury was crucial, the 49ers added that depth, not the guy I would have picked but Borland was universally ranked as the #2 ILB in the draft, not sure how you can be upset about that really.

I'd rather have packaged that picked and moved up for someone that can change a game. A dominant pass rusher or a game breaking type of receiver like a Stephon Tuitt, Demarcus Lawrence, Brandin Cooks, etc. We need something like that to help really put us over the top. Not saying Borland won't be solid, but we could have used that pick for a gamechanger and then came back in the fourth round and still got a solid inside backer prospect.
Can we also debate about Roby getting lit up over and over again last season? He didn't look like a 1st round CB, or even a 2nd round CB. Nickel corner was a huge need, 49ers went out and took care of it.

Sure, we can debate about it. But, just to be clear, wasn't he graded as a 1st round or at worst top 2nd CB by most analysts ?

TV talking heads' and writers' grades on players are more trustworthy and relevant than our own front office's grades/picks?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Overall it's an ok draft. I too wish we would have used the picks as ammunition and went up and made a splash for a player or two that can be game changers. We went for depth. I think Borland is ok, but kind of a waste of a pick. We could have addressed ILB/st later with a guy like Lamin Barrow.

And does it bother anyone else that we started the draft off with two 2nds and three 3rds but ended up with only one 2nd and three 3rds even though all we've done is traded back? I know we picked up a 4th, 5th, and 6th, but still! It's kind of weak that we only ended up with one selection in the second round. Not a fan of stockpiling picks in rounds 4 and 5. We should have move up in rounds 2 and 3. We essentially lost a second round pick so we could have some more picks in rounds 4-6. That's garbage.

I think with this roster, you're kind of limited to adding game changers as your roster is filled with game-changers. I was a HUGE proponent of adding a nickel corner, particularly Verrett and the 49ers did just that with Ward, a guy with arguably higher upside due to his versatility. Beyond that, no rookie CB, no rookie WR was going to join this roster and start. This was always about adding more depth to this team overall and they have done a splendid job of that.

As much as people bash the Borland pick, what nobody seems to be considering is what would happen if Willis missed a few games, got injured while Bowman is out. Are you comfortable with Wilhoite and Moody starting at ILB? I'm not. Borland provides a guy who is ready to start, ready to contribute, a highly instinctual football player who I expect to see starting alongside Willis next season. He'll be a major special teams contributor as well so I really can't complain about the pick. The heart of the 49ers defense is their front seven and added depth after the Bowman injury was crucial, the 49ers added that depth, not the guy I would have picked but Borland was universally ranked as the #2 ILB in the draft, not sure how you can be upset about that really.

I'd rather have packaged that picked and moved up for someone that can change a game. A dominant pass rusher or a game breaking type of receiver like a Stephon Tuitt, Demarcus Lawrence, Brandin Cooks, etc. We need something like that to help really put us over the top. Not saying Borland won't be solid, but we could have used that pick for a gamechanger and then came back in the fourth round and still got a solid inside backer prospect.

To be honest, I don't even think we had to trade up in the 1st to get them. They were there even in the 2nd. Either way, trade up or not, my bottomline is all about getting over that hump too with impact players/game changers.
I don't get what you mean? There really are no positions that are open. Besides, Harbaugh has flat out stated many times that he does not like to play rookies. He thinks most rookies are not mentally prepared to play pro football and need developement. Guys like Reid and Aldon are high draft picks are the exception, not the rule. HarBaalke have been pretty consistent in their philosophy if you've been paying attention.
[ Edited by T-9ers on May 10, 2014 at 9:38 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

TV talking heads' and writers' grades on players are more trustworthy and relevant than our own front office's grades/picks?

OK, if that is the case, then I guess Bronco's front office doesn't agree with our own front office.

Stephon Tuitt and Demarcus Lawrence would've struggled to find playing time on this roster. Even Brandin Cooks might've struggled now that Stevie Johnson is in the fold.
<html><body><div>There was a temporary error. Please try back later.<!-- User webzone_david already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections --></div></body></html>
Broncos are a much inferior team with different needs and targets.
Trust Elway over Baalke if you like, but I don't see how that could be justified.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
<html><body><div>There was a temporary error. Please try back later.<!-- User webzone_david already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections --></div></body></html>
Trust Elway over Baalke if you like, but I don't see how that could be justified.

Not really. Some of the needs are the same, they needed a CB so they went out and drafted Bradley Roby. They needed a WR they went out and drafted Cody Latimer.
There was a temporary error. Please try back later.

Not really. Some of the needs are the same, they needed a CB so they went out and drafted Bradley Roby. They needed a WR they went out and drafted Cody Latimer.

They needed a starting CB to replace Cromartie, starting WR to replace Decker.
They are still inferior. The AFC is weak.

We have starters. You may not like Brock and Culliver, but the team obviously does.
Their judgement is more informed than yours, Broncos, or the talking heads on TV.
Let's see, got our probable starting nickelback and eventual Bethea replacement in Ward (even if part-time considered a starting position now), starting center Marcus Martin (if not this year, next) and a possible starting ILB or at least platoon guy in Borland until Bow is ready. What a dumbass message thread.
I see. So, I guess what you are saying is we didn't win the Super Bowl simply because of bad luck ? Not that luck doesn't factor in, but so do talents. That is my point. In the case of the Seahawks, I believe they had a better team than us, that was why we lost the NFC Championship. You can't blame luck on Kap's 3 turnovers.

Talent, coaching, refs, luck all have to do with wins and losses...you know any given Sunday. I believe our roster was better than Seattle last year. Anyway, sounds like you are blaming Kap for our loss, not the the quality of CB or WR depth on our team.
Both ESPN and NFL networks are praising this draft as one of the very best so far. Mel, McShay, Polian, Mayock and company.

They do this for a living - we're golden AND the sun will continue to shine.
Share 49ersWebzone