There are 181 users in the forums

3rd Draft in a Row Without a Projected Starter

Originally posted by doc_brown_:
We got better on special teams because...
- Bruce Ellington can start as a punt/kick returner

Ellington returned 3 punts for 16 yds in college, I'm not sure where the hype train on Ellington as PR is coming from.

We're screwed at PR just like we've always been lol.
Originally posted by znk916:

Ellington returned 3 punts for 16 yds in college, I'm not sure where the hype train on Ellington as PR is coming from.

Nah mang. Gabbert gon return punts son.

[ Edited by NickSh49 on May 10, 2014 at 2:17 PM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Nah mang. Gabbert gon return punts son.

fumble? pffft LMJ can do that already
Originally posted by SaksV:
We aren't 2-14 anymore. We're a three or four loss team at the very most which means we are elite which means we don't need any rookie starters. This forum is loony toons sometimes.

...which is exactly why we don't need to load the roster with 4th and 5th rounders. We needed to target the cream of the draft and go and get them. This would've been a great draft in 2006.
  • Phil
  • Veteran

Baalke Beer Goggles.
OP is ridiculous.

Ward is going to be our nickle CB which is a starter in our system
Hyde won't start this year obviously but will after Gore goes or will split time in a 2 headed backfield with Lattimore
Martin will push Kilgore hard and could end up a starter this year or next at C or LG
Borland will compete to start at ILB with Bowman out and IMO will win the spot
Thomas when Iupati leaves for a monster contract after this year, say hello to our starting LG in 2015
Ellington will be our PR/KR when LMJ is dumped. Will be a slot WR, probably contribute a little right away, a lot later when Boldin retires and or Crabs walks
Lynch is a big time talent who has a chance to be in the pass rushing rotation immediately and a future starter

then add in Stevie Johnson who will play a ton as our #3 WR this year and be a starter in the future when Boldin retires and or Crabs walks

great KR, 2 sport athlete, he'll be fine at PR.
Originally posted by domingo360:
We aren't 2-14 anymore. We're a three or four loss team at the very most which means we are elite which means we don't need any rookie starters. This forum is loony toons sometimes.

...which is exactly why we don't need to load the roster with 4th and 5th rounders. We needed to target the cream of the draft and go and get them. This would've been a great draft in 2006.

Kind of agree with this, but again, you can't force people to trade with you. And how many picks can Baalke burn on RB's anyway?

But they wanted ODB. No one would trade with him. Giants took him at #12.

But we're emerging this weekend with Ward & Stevie as new starters on this team, so that's pretty solid.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
There was a temporary error. Please try back later.
Broncos are a much inferior team with different needs and targets.
Trust Elway over Baalke if you like, but I don't see how that could be justified.

Not really. Some of the needs are the same, they needed a CB so they went out and drafted Bradley Roby. They needed a WR they went out and drafted Cody Latimer.

They needed a starting CB to replace Cromartie, starting WR to replace Decker.
They are still inferior. The AFC is weak.

We have starters. You may not like Brock and Culliver, but the team obviously does.
Their judgement is more informed than yours, Broncos, or the talking heads on TV.

If that is the case, then there is no point to discuss about anything cos none of us work for the 49ers. LOL.

The reason there is a forum is for people to voice their views.

Obviously what is happening here we have 2 camps : 1) that believes whatever Baalke does is A+ and 2) those who believe we should have addressed the CB and WR needs with impact players/game changers. And by the looks of it, you can debate until the cows come home, but I don't see the 2 camps will agree.

My boy RASCAL.

Dude, I don't think you're entirely wrong here, but I think you would have been a lot happier if Baalke got Beckham Jr., correct?

Well, you do know he wanted to get ODB and tried to move up for him, but couldn't find a trade partner.

Lemme repeat that. HE COULDN'T FIND A TRADE PARTNER.

So, they took the best DB on the board (and if Ward can do safety AND CB work over the next 5-7 years, it's an AMAZING PICK) and then added Stevie Johnson.

So there's your WR & CB. I'm not sure what else you wanted him to do. If you don't like the picks, then you don't like the picks. But Ward & Johnson are your answers, and Johnson is already NFL-ready, so that's a big plus as well.

Actually not. For me, I didn't think we even needed to trade up. I know you wanted to trade up cos I read your thread. But, as far as WRs go, I believe any one out of Adams, Matthews, Latimer, Richardson or even Moncrief would have been a great pick. Seriously, I didn't even say OK Baalke you better pick this one guy or else cos I knew this year WRs are deep and we still could have creamed it in the 2nd. But, no, nothing happened until the 4th with Ellington.
Kind of agree with this, but again, you can't force people to trade with you. And how many picks can Baalke burn on RB's anyway?

But they wanted ODB. No one would trade with him. Giants took him at #12.

But we're emerging this weekend with Ward & Stevie as new starters on this team, so that's pretty solid.

I wouldn't really call Ward and Stevie starters when they both will probably only play 60% of snaps max if even, and that's assuming Roman actually makes changes to the offense and goes away from 2TE (and he should, cuz Vance as a 2nd TE sucks compared to Stevie as a 3rd WR)

I think Borland is the most likely to be a full-time starter this year. Wilhoite is a nice story and a tryhard type of player, but you can't teach the instincts that come with being a natural ILB and being able to diagnose and attack downhill rather than relying on sheer athleticism to make plays.

Martin should be a full-time starter as well. If he can't beat out Kilgore, then we've got some real issues.

And I hate to admit this as the biggest Gore homer out there, but I think Hyde could end up getting the most carries out of our 3 lead backs, he just looks that good as a runner. Historically since Roman has been OC we've had around 25 carries split up between our backs, and if you assume at least a few of those carries continue to go to Hunter as a change of pace, that only leaves around 20 carries for 3 lead backs.
[ Edited by znk916 on May 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM ]

When was the last time a big ten back was good?
  • Phil
  • Veteran

Blasphemy!
Plan "A" logic:
2 early CB's would have won the job and started.
1 early WR would have been a #3, and been a starter down the road.
Use the rest for depth.

With this strategy we would not have had most of the following:
A starting C.
A red shirt replacement for Iupati at G in a year.
A top notch fill in for Bowman, and quality depth at ILB and quality special teams.
A dynamic slot player like Ellington.
Three darts thrown for a starting CB (much like Cooper last year).
A dart thrown at a top notch pass rusher and DLmen.
Fullback depth and competition.

We would have had to trade a bunch of picks away to get 2 - 3 potential starters at WR and CB, so we would have missed out on all the benefits above.

Don't forget, we picked up a starting WR with Stevie Johnson. His contract is for 3 more years. It's not 4-5 years like a rookie, but it's still pretty good, and he is PROVEN.

Would have been nice to get a starting future WR, or even the much talked about "elite" corner, but I think the benefits of what we got outweigh both of those things.
When was the last time a big ten back was good?

The Hyde pick is the only one I am iffy on.

We grabbed LMJ, and he never saw the field because we were loaded at running back. I hope the same situation does't happen again.
I wouldn't really call Ward and Stevie starters when they both will probably only play 60% of snaps max if even, and that's assuming Roman actually makes changes to the offense and goes away from 2TE (and he should, cuz Vance as a 2nd TE sucks compared to Stevie as a 3rd WR)

I think Borland is the most likely to be a full-time starter this year. Wilhoite is a nice story and a tryhard type of player, but you can't teach the instincts that come with being a natural ILB and being able to diagnose and attack downhill rather than relying on sheer athleticism to make plays.

Martin should be a full-time starter as well. If he can't beat out Kilgore, then we've got some real issues.

And I hate to admit this as the biggest Gore homer out there, but I think Hyde could end up getting the most carries out of our 3 lead backs, he just looks that good as a runner. Historically since Roman has been OC we've had around 25 carries split up between our backs, and if you assume at least a few of those carries continue to go to Hunter as a change of pace, that only leaves around 20 carries for 3 lead backs.

You got to take that up with Baalke then. He and Fangio both said that they consider the nickel corner as a starter and they are right.
Share 49ersWebzone