LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Targets for the *next* round

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Because there's more to being a WR than being 6'4 and running a sub 4.4 40. He has unreliable hands, lots of double catching and juggling, he makes ordinary catches look like an adventure.

Scouts have also basically questioned whether or not he's a potato. Reportedly has trouble learning a playbook, if that's the case, the 49ers already went on that boat ride with AJ Jenkins not too long ago.

Okay, thanks. What about Moncrief? He's another speed burner who has good height.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by crake49:
Why are so many around here down on a Martavis Bryant pick? A 6-4 guy who runs sub 4.4? I don't get why people would have a problem with a player like that. Can someone explain this to me?

Because there's more to being a WR than being 6'4 and running a sub 4.4 40. He has unreliable hands, lots of double catching and juggling, he makes ordinary catches look like an adventure.

Scouts have also basically questioned whether or not he's a potato. Reportedly has trouble learning a playbook, if that's the case, the 49ers already went on that boat ride with AJ Jenkins not too long ago.

We disagree on Bryant. IMO his potential is through the roof. There have been plenty of guys who are 6'4 and run 4.4 at combine but if you watch their games - they don't look fast. Not the case with Martavis. There are few WRs at his size who can accelerate as fast as he can. It's amazing how quickly he closes the gap between himself and the defender. Another thing I like about him - he's not just fast or can accelerate. He is quick as well. He was asked to run deep at Clemson because that's what he was best at and that complimented Watkins - but IMO with time he can be a great target in the middle of the field.

Yes, he doesn't have great hands but they're not as bad either. He makes some tough catches but loses focus on the easy ones. That's something that can be fixed with a lot of practice and coaching. If the coaching staff/FO guys think he loves the game and can be trusted to put in the work to improve his hands - then I don't see what's the problem.

With Stevie Johnson trade - we don't need a WR to come in a perform in year 1. We'll need someone next year or the year after. I'd love to get him in the 3rd round.
Lamarcus Joyner
If receiver, I like Jordan Matthews. Size speed combo but also a polished route runner. Do I even need to mention the Jerry Rice connection?

I honestly believe they may consider eschewing WR altogether here and trade one if this years 2nd round picks for something next year. Of the remaining picks, I think the 49ers will need to grab a corner, offensive lineman and defensive lineman...in that order.

It really is wide open here because I wouldn't shrug if they grabbed another linebacker here either. We'll be starting the year without Aldon Smith and Navarro Bowman.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on May 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM ]
Pretty sure Baalke will do some serious trading today & tomorrow. With the acquisition of Stevie Johnson, it really gives him even more flexibility now. As last night's draft showed, there were a number of players who came off the board sooner than most thought they would, and some a lot of us thought would be gone are still on the board. So, really, Baalke has a smorgasbord of potential picks...it ought to be very interesting to see how he manipulates the board.
2014 NFL Draft: Best remaining prospects after Round 1 (according to Gil Brandt)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000348452/article/2014-nfl-draft-best-remaining-prospects-after-round-1
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Pretty sure Baalke will do some serious trading today & tomorrow. With the acquisition of Stevie Johnson, it really gives him even more flexibility now. As last night's draft showed, there were a number of players who came off the board sooner than most thought they would, and some a lot of us thought would be gone are still on the board. So, really, Baalke has a smorgasbord of potential picks...it ought to be very interesting to see how he manipulates the board.

WR's are great, but I think we've address that position for the upcoming year and into the future. It is quite possible this trade spells the end of Michael Crabtree's time with the red and gold. Not because of anything on the field, but rather the reality of a high-quality team needing to pay high-quality players and still be under the cap. Johnson's deal is extremely cap friendly from what I can remember.

In case everyone hasn't noticed, all the NFC West teams are loading up on physical players. Case in point:

Rams: Robinson (OT), Donald (DT)
Cardinals: Buchannon (SS)
Seahawks: Will be soon...

My point is that in this division you can never have enough big bodies; look what happened in the NFC Championship after Iupati went down (production tanked). That NFC Championship game was one of the most physical games I've seen in a LONG time.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on May 9, 2014 at 1:25 PM ]
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Joel Bitonio

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/joel-bitonio?id=2543737
Likely not a WR in second and third now IMO.

I think Oline, and CB will definitely be on the radar.

Probably save WR for the later rounds now.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Likely not a WR in second and third now IMO.

I think Oline, and CB will definitely be on the radar.

Probably save WR for the later rounds now.

I like Joel Bitonia but he needs to hit the weights,put on some size while maintaining his athleticism. He's both good on run and pass protection. Smart guy, great attitude and a team leader.

stephon tuitt
Got to move up and grab Tuitt, then target OL, then trade up from 3rd and grab CB all in the 2nd.
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
stephon tuitt

This.

I'm calling it now as well we are going to draft Marcus Martin.
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Someone familiar with draft pick values and the like: What would it take to move up into the top 10 picks of the second round to take whichever Baalke prefers of Latimer or Robinson? 56 + ???

If we could package 56 + a third and maybe a late round pick to get to the 38-42 range and grab Robinson, then stand pat at 61 and take Phillip Gaines, that's a home run to me.

I could not agree more with this.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran

SJB!

#DraftCrush
Share 49ersWebzone