LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

What WR now?

Has anybody watched Paul Richardson on tape? Does he play as fast as his 40 time?

Hard to tell from the Cal game
Of the WR's now on the roster, Lloyd's arguably the smallest and he's listed as 6', 200 lbs. Roughly the same size as Patton. One type of WR I'd like to see Baalke take is a smaller slot guy...I'm partial to Ellington, who's a real baller, is a playmaker and has KR skills, too. He's only @ 5-9, but a very solid 200 lbs. Think he could be a real matchup problem from defenses and would provide a different look/angle for Kap to exploit.
Jordan Matthews. Size, speed, Jerry Rice connection. Makes sense to me, if they even go receiver now. I believe they will trade out of this years draft for sure, grab a corner, then look for O-line and D-line depth.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by senseimatt:
I think acquiring Stevie makes drafting a WR with the next pick more likely. Latimer would be my guess.

That would be really counter-intuitive.

Yeah, I think it means they don't draft a WR. They can concentrate on other positions and maybe grab a WR in the later rounds.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
One or the other now.

I think Herron now, another vertical threat to go along with Boldin, Crabtree, Johnson, Patton and Osgood. Lloyd might not even make the team now.

Yep. We will still draft a WR, Crabs is probably gone and Boldin the season after. I wouldn't even mind a big, fast target like Latimer or Moncrief although it appears less likely. Marshall and Jeffrey are not burners but they are both vertical threats due to their sheer size. I doubt the Bears are complaining about their wideout situation. You don't necessarily need a 4.3 guy, just someone who can get open deep.

Stevie provides insurance if Crab leaves but I think we'll make a fair offer to keep him.

Herron makes a load of sense given his skill set. But watching Abbrederis (in red and gold) beat the dreads off of Sherman's big head (like he did Roby) would be so satisfying.
Adding Johnson gives us flexibility with a draft pick. Johnson can stretch the field. We can arguably draft the possession receiver to replace Crabtree now. I'm guessing a minor climb up to the high 40s to grab either Matthews or the kid from Penn State. OR, we are literally going to pull the 1981 draft and grab our entire secondary for the next 5-7 years today.
  • Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by midrdan:
Adding Johnson gives us flexibility with a draft pick. Johnson can stretch the field. We can arguably draft the possession receiver to replace Crabtree now. I'm guessing a minor climb up to the high 40s to grab either Matthews or the kid from Penn State. OR, we are literally going to pull the 1981 draft and grab our entire secondary for the next 5-7 years today.

Yes. Either Mathews or Robinson will complete our WR future. I think we'll go O line as well. CB, O-line WR, maybe OLB. They'll probably go after a O-lineman who's beast in pass protection.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/joel-bitonio?id=2543737
[ Edited by Phil on May 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM ]
I dont see us going WR in the second or third now. Likely get someone in the later rounds. Jalen Saunders or Jeff Janis, etc.
Originally posted by 49erDawgFan:
Has anybody watched Paul Richardson on tape? Does he play as fast as his 40 time?

Hard to tell from the Cal game

he plays faster than his 40 IMO
I see us drafting a KR that can also play WR, not the other way around.

Don't think we'll do it in rounds 2 or 3 tho.

• Phil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I dont see us going WR in the second or third now. Likely get someone in the later rounds. Jalen Saunders or Jeff Janis, etc.

I think, unfortunately, we're planning to replace both Crabtree and Boldin. Crabs after this season and Boldin after the next. We can get first rd talent in this years second round. Johnson would be Crab's replacement and Mathews or Robinson Boldin's replacement. Next years draft will be lacking in WR talent. This is the year to draft WR replacements, save next years draft for other needs.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I see us drafting a KR that can also play WR, not the other way around.

Don't think we'll do it in rounds 2 or 3 tho.

Dri Archer?
Originally posted by Phil:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I think, unfortunately, we're planning to replace both Crabtree and Boldin. Crabs after this season and Boldin after the next. We can get first rd talent in this years second round. Johnson would be Crab's replacement and Mathews or Robinson Boldin's replacement. Next years draft will be lacking in WR talent. This is the year to draft WR replacements, save next years draft for other needs.

We can only Carry so many WR's. Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Osgood, and Patton are all likely locks. That really leaves room for only one WR on the roster.
Originally posted by Phil:

I don't think I agree but today's drafting will settle the point!
Maybe we let Osgood walk...great ST player but Ward was great on ST at NIU and if we can fit another talented WR on the roster, Osgood has no upside. He was a great core ST guy though but we have a few of those already....
Share 49ersWebzone