There are 212 users in the forums

LaMarcus Joyner-CB/S-FSU

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
As far as TE's go, that's what you have safeties for.

As a slot corner, why would his height be a major hindrance?

A FS is going to be covering less in our defense, playing center field where as our SS will be covering TE's a lot as well as helping with run support. If we drafted him to be a SS would you feel comfortable in Joyner covering TE's? Sure if we drafted him as a slot CB his height wouldn't make as much difference because he would be going against a lot of quicker shorter guys. Let's say we draft him as a SS though. Again, do you feel comfortable if he is covering the bigger taller WR like TE's of the league? Will be interesting to see if Joyner gets drafted as a CB or SS and Ward gets drafted as a FS, CB, or SS (by someone like us).
Originally posted by Gore_21:
A FS is going to be covering less in our defense, playing center field where as our SS will be covering TE's a lot as well as helping with run support. If we drafted him to be a SS would you feel comfortable in Joyner covering TE's? Sure if we drafted him as a slot CB his height wouldn't make as much difference because he would be going against a lot of quicker shorter guys. Let's say we draft him as a SS though. Again, do you feel comfortable if he is covering the bigger taller WR like TE's of the league? Will be interesting to see if Joyner gets drafted as a CB or SS and Ward gets drafted as a FS, CB, or SS (by someone like us).

Fangio's defense uses interchangeable safeties. We don't really have a free and strong safety in the traditional sense.

Joyner plays much bigger than his measurables. He's about as athletic and physical as you're going to find.

That said, I do think he's a better fit as a slot corner as he excels in press man.
BUMP
WANT. Wish he'd tumble into the 2nd.

Like to get Cooks in the 1st, trade up from our second to get Joyner, and take Moncrief with KC's second
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
WANT. Wish he'd tumble into the 2nd.

Like to get Cooks in the 1st, trade up from our second to get Joyner, and take Moncrief with KC's second

I firmly believe Joyner will be selected somewhere in the 2nd. He is a playmaker, no doubt, but he checked into the combine smaller than anticipated.

Measurables: 5' 7 3/4" 184, and expected to run around a 4.5

Bob Sanders was 5' 8 3/8" 205 and ran a 4.3 and was a monster playmaker at Iowa and fell to the 2nd. Joyner will be there. I would love to have him, but just not in the 1st.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I firmly believe Joyner will be selected somewhere in the 2nd. He is a playmaker, no doubt, but he checked into the combine smaller than anticipated.

Bob Sanders was 5' 8 3/8" 205 and ran a 4.3 and was a monster playmaker at Iowa and fell to the 2nd. Joyner will be there. I would love to have him, but just not in the 1st.

Cool. I always want the players I like to disappoint at the combine. I'd much rather look like an idiot for talking them up and have the 49ers get them as a steal, than be proven correct by the underwear olympics, and have them priced out of the 49ers range.

Where did you get that measurement from? Everywhere I've looked he's exactly 5'8"...........

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lamarcus-joyner?id=2543492
Was Bob Sanders hurt a lot in college, or just the NFL?

Not sure, but Sanders' size had nothing to do with having a high ankle sprain, a bad knee or a torn bicep (his major injuries). Those injuries are common to football players at all positions regardless of size.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Where did you get that measurement from? Everywhere I've looked he's exactly 5'8"...........

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lamarcus-joyner?id=2543492

Exactly. Not that it really matters much, but he's listed at just about everywhere I've seen as 5'8" on the dot.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Not sure, but Sanders' size had nothing to do with having a high ankle sprain, a bad knee or a torn bicep (his major injuries). Those injuries are common to football players at all positions regardless of size.

Ghost, you still like him best as a S? I'd love to see him and Reid busting guys up and frustrating QBs for us.

with Colts more than with the Hawkeyes. I don't recall ever hearing him having to sit out any of the Big10 games. PS I strictly going off my memories.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

with Colts more than with the Hawkeyes. I don't recall ever hearing him having to sit out any of the Big10 games. PS I strictly going off my memories.

Joyner and Verrett are very close to the same size.

Joyner, Lamarcus. Florida State
31 1/2 arm length
9 1/4 hand

Verrett, Jason. TCU
30 5/8
9 1/4
Share 49ersWebzone