There are 246 users in the forums

LaMarcus Joyner-CB/S-FSU

Originally posted by Harbaalke:
I totally agree with you but because of his size he will be a 3rd/4th round pick but the kid is a baller good choice

He will never make it out of the second round. He may go in the first depending on his combine. I am a huge FSU fan. Been following LJ since he was being recruited. His height matters about -400%. He can straight up ball, has a huge football IQ and is a tremendous leader.
LJ, will be a pro bowler at the next level. Guaranteed.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Peshek: CB Metrics 2.0

looks at Fuller, Hampton, Purifoy, Jean-Baptiste, and Joyner

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46242/351/peshek-cb-metrics-20

Peshek: CB Metrics 1.0

looks at Darqueze Dennard, Jason Verrett, Terrance Mitchell, Bradley Roby and Justin Gilbert

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46190/349/peshek-cb-metrics-10
Copycat league.

Based on Seattle's success I think tall CB's will be the hot topic.
Joyner's ability to play corner will benefit his stock, but i see him as a safety in the NFL.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Joyner's ability to play corner will benefit his stock, but i see him as a safety in the NFL.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

would love Joyner on this team. love his attitude, work ethic, his aggressive nature.

would love Joyner on this team. love his attitude, work ethic, his aggressive nature.

And his instincts as a defender. Sherman/Browner/Maxwell would be good, but not nearly so if it weren't for the 5'9ish" Earl Thomas playing behind them. He allows the Seattle corners to play physical press coverage and take risks, knowing Thomas is not only athletic enough to cover for their mistakes, but instinctive enough to see routes as they're developing and (most of the time) be in the right place at the right time.

In terms of safeties, Joyner and Calvin Pryor are the closest thing to Thomas in that regard in this draft. IMO, Joyner would be a very good nickel corner in the NFL, but would be a pro-bowl caliber safety.

And his instincts as a defender. Sherman/Browner/Maxwell would be good, but not nearly so if it weren't for the 5'9ish" Earl Thomas playing behind them. He allows the Seattle corners to play physical press coverage and take risks, knowing Thomas is not only athletic enough to cover for their mistakes, but instinctive enough to see routes as they're developing and (most of the time) be in the right place at the right time.

In terms of safeties, Joyner and Calvin Pryor are the closest thing to Thomas in that regard in this draft. IMO, Joyner would be a very good nickel corner in the NFL, but would be a pro-bowl caliber safety.

I'm starting to think we'd have to trade up in the 2nd to take him. i see his stock continuing to go up during the combine, just like Tyrann Mathieu's did.
Originally posted by Nicks240:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
I totally agree with you but because of his size he will be a 3rd/4th round pick but the kid is a baller good choice

He will never make it out of the second round. He may go in the first depending on his combine. I am a huge FSU fan. Been following LJ since he was being recruited. His height matters about -400%. He can straight up ball, has a huge football IQ and is a tremendous leader.

Do you think he would be better suited as a SS?

I'm starting to think we'd have to trade up in the 2nd to take him. i see his stock continuing to go up during the combine, just like Tyrann Mathieu's did.

Due to the oversaturated FA marke for DB's, i could see Brown possibly returning. If thats the case, Niners could then go BPA 1st round (whether it be WR or stud D lineman, etc)then trade up for Joyner in the 2nd and plug him into the SS role, or vice versa depending on if Joyner turns into a 1st round pick.

I see nothing wrong with using our 1st round pick on him. The upside to drafting Joyner in the 1st round is the 5th year you get on his contract as opposed to the 4 year deals that 2nd rounders get. So if the team thinks he's good enough to trade up to the mid-to-early 2nd to get him, why not just get him at #30? IMO, there's generally not much difference between the 30th rated player and say the 45th rated player in terms of potential, so why mess around and hope you can trade up for a guy you can get in the late first?

I see nothing wrong with using our 1st round pick on him. The upside to drafting Joyner in the 1st round is the 5th year you get on his contract as opposed to the 4 year deals that 2nd rounders get. So if the team thinks he's good enough to trade up to the mid-to-early 2nd to get him, why not just get him at #30? IMO, there's generally not much difference between the 30th rated player and say the 45th rated player in terms of potential, so why mess around and hope you can trade up for a guy you can get in the late first?

good point, ghost. i was just thinking scenarios. do we go with someone like Landry at #30? will we end up moving up in the 1st if someone like Gilbert or Dennard falls a bit? however, if there were no trading, i wouldn't be mad at all if we took Joyner with #30.
I'm hoping we can trade out of pick 30 and pick up a high 2nd and 3rd/or 4th and late pick. At that position we would be able to get Joyner, who I think could start immediately, and we'd still have two second round picks (Kansas City's and our original) to pick up Matthews or Landry.

good point, ghost. i was just thinking scenarios. do we go with someone like Landry at #30? will we end up moving up in the 1st if someone like Gilbert or Dennard falls a bit? however, if there were no trading, i wouldn't be mad at all if we took Joyner with #30.

Free agency will really dictate this, I think. If we re-sign Whitner, then we'll go CB or WR for sure at #30. But if we re-sign Boldin and not Whitner, it really lessens our need to go WR at #30 and getting a safety becomes the priority. Thankfully, this is a deep WR and CB draft, so if we went with a safety at #30, we can still get a quality WR and CB with those two 2nd rounders. We could even double up and draft another WR and/or CB with any of those three third-rounders (assuming the comp pick).

But yah, free agency should make it pretty clear which direction we go in.
Share 49ersWebzone