There are 288 users in the forums

LaMarcus Joyner-CB/S-FSU

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Was Bob Sanders hurt a lot in college, or just the NFL?

Not sure, but Sanders' size had nothing to do with having a high ankle sprain, a bad knee or a torn bicep (his major injuries). Those injuries are common to football players at all positions regardless of size.

Ghost, you still like him best as a S? I'd love to see him and Reid busting guys up and frustrating QBs for us.

I think he'd be really good at both nickel and safety, but think long-term he fits better as a SS.
Would love to nab Pryor in 1st and Joyner and Moncrief in the 2nd. Would probably require some trades, so not sure how feasible it would be.
I'm really happy Joyner apparently didn't exactly murder the 40. Want him to drop so the Niners can get him at a bargain.

His unofficial time was 4.52.
Don't want a 5'8" safety at all.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

49ers have done fine with a 5'9" safety in Whitner, get over your size issues.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Except when he gets beat by taller receivers. Remember the playoffs last year and the NFCCG?
Except when he gets beat by taller receivers. Remember the playoffs last year and the NFCCG?

Which taller receivers are we talking about here? Seattle has a 5'10" guy who is the best free safety in the NFL. The average safety prospect in this draft is 5'11. Joyner has a 37.5 inch vertical, a guy like Calvin Pryor who is 5'11", has a 34.5 inch vertical, so basically they both can reach the same height vertically.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2014 at 11:31 AM ]

Which taller receivers are we talking about here? Seattle has a 5'10" guy who is the best free safety in the NFL. The average safety prospect in this draft is 5'11. Joyner has a 37.5 inch vertical, a guy like Calvin Pryor who is 5'11", has a 34.5 inch vertical, so basically they both can reach the same height vertically.

thank you.

some people are so obsessed with size.
To get Pryor, Joyner and Moncrief would require some trading up, especially for the latter. I'm down for it, just saying it'd come at a cost.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I firmly believe Joyner will be selected somewhere in the 2nd. He is a playmaker, no doubt, but he checked into the combine smaller than anticipated.

Measurables: 5' 7 3/4" 184, and expected to run around a 4.5

Bob Sanders was 5' 8 3/8" 205 and ran a 4.3 and was a monster playmaker at Iowa and fell to the 2nd. Joyner will be there. I would love to have him, but just not in the 1st.

Where did you get that measurement from? Everywhere I've looked he's exactly 5'8"...........

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lamarcus-joyner?id=2543492

Exactly. Not that it really matters much, but he's listed at just about everywhere I've seen as 5'8" on the dot.

Weird! I totally read 5' 7 3/4" the other day when I first looked -- something must've changed (or I was reading the wrong player or something)

In any case, Ghost is right, 1/4" doesn't really matter. Joyner finishes with an official 4.55 forty. At 5-8 184 4.55, he won't be a first rounder. To be a first rounder, there are often certain requirements that players have to meet. Lacking a single measurable, or even two, can sometimes be compensated for in other ways. Joyner unfortunately lacks the measurable across the board in height, size with respect to weight, and elite timed or above-average TIMED speed.

This is why Verrett will go in the 1st, and Joyner won't.

For teams that have seen him though, they can see that his coverage ability and play-making acumen make him worthy of a high selection, especially when you consider on the field he looks a bit faster than he timed.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:54 PM ]

A Strong Safety would can tackle hard AND play coverage? That would give the defense all kinds of flexibility. Maybe even increase the blitzes.

I'm seeing Whitner listed at 5'10.

Joyner had a bad 20 yard shuttle too. This might even push him into the 3rd round. Me likey.
I firmly believe Joyner will be selected somewhere in the 2nd. He is a playmaker, no doubt, but he checked into the combine smaller than anticipated.

Measurables: 5' 7 3/4" 184, and expected to run around a 4.5

Bob Sanders was 5' 8 3/8" 205 and ran a 4.3 and was a monster playmaker at Iowa and fell to the 2nd. Joyner will be there. I would love to have him, but just not in the 1st.

Where did you get that measurement from? Everywhere I've looked he's exactly 5'8"...........

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lamarcus-joyner?id=2543492

Exactly. Not that it really matters much, but he's listed at just about everywhere I've seen as 5'8" on the dot.

Weird! I totally read 5' 7 3/4" the other day when I first looked -- something must've changed (or I was reading the wrong player or something)

In any case, Ghost is right, 1/4" doesn't really matter. Joyner finishes with an official 4.55 forty. At 5-8 184 4.55, he won't be a first rounder. To be a first rounder, there are often certain requirements that players have to meet. Lacking a single measurable, or even two, can sometimes be compensated for in other ways. Joyner unfortunately lacks the measurable across the board in height, size with respect to weight, and elite timed or above-average TIMED speed.

This is why Verrett will go in the 1st, and Joyner won't.

For teams that have seen him though, they can see that his coverage ability and play-making acumen make him worthy of a high selection, especially when you consider on the field he looks a bit faster than he timed.

I buy that, though Joyner is an elite football player.

Done fine with Whitner? Are you kidding? Where were you the last 3 post-seasons? Remember that 4th quarter against the saints in the playoffs? How about the playoff games from 2 years ago against Green Bay, Atlanta, and Baltimore. How did he perform?? if you say "just fine", I'm gonna puke.

You have selective memory imo.
[ Edited by kronik on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Done fine with Whitner? Are you kidding? Where were you the last 3 post-seasons? Remember that 4th quarter against the saints in the playoffs? How about the playoffs from 2 years ago against Green Bay, Atlanta, and Baltimore. How did he play?? You have selective memory imo.

Whitner had his struggles early on, however a lot of that can be put on Goldson who wasn't always covering his responsibilities. Putting Whitner and Reid together clearly clicked as they both had very good seasons. I'm not talking about the past, I'm talking about the the 2013 season where Whitner was very good in coverage for the most part.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone