There are 221 users in the forums

LaMarcus Joyner-CB/S-FSU

In spite of his size, I really like this guy as a tremendous difference-maker on defense. He's undersized, but not much more so than some other guys, such as Earl Thomas for example. He can play cornerback or safety, if the 49ers need a terrific slot corner, he's the guy. He has very good athleticism, plays with high intensity, loves to hit, a very reliable tackler, a guy who simply goes after the football and shows outstanding natural instincts. Those blitzes that Fangio sent Rogers on repeatedly? Joyner has shown tremendous ability to get home and drop the quarterback too. He has the potential to be a similar type of player as Mathieu was for the Cardinals. Have him play in the slot, provide depth at safety, play on special teams....etc.

Breakdown from NFL.com

-2-Above average overall discipline and makes sound reads when given deep responsibilities. Flashes the ability to get an early break on the ball. Reads quarterback and shows above average route recognition facing the line of scrimmage. Reads keys and quickly diagnoses runs."

-1-High-energy player with professional work ethic. Loves the game and it shows on tape. Moved from corner to safety in 2011 and named team's most improved player on defense. Strong student. Has a young son named Jamarcus.

-2-Reliable open field tackler with above average body control. Squares up and latches on. Flashes the ability lower shoulder and deliver big hit. Flashes the ability to slip blocks in tight spaces but not big or strong enough to regularly line up in the box. Above average angles and effort help prevent against longer runs.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM ]
I totally agree with you but because of his size he will be a 3rd/4th round pick but the kid is a baller good choice
Based on what I've read and your assessment, I would love to nab this kid with one of our 2nds. Seems like a playmaker and he apparently hits like a mack truck
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
I totally agree with you but because of his size he will be a 3rd/4th round pick but the kid is a baller good choice

Short of hijacking a school bus or a serious injury, there's no way he's getting out of the 2nd round. He's been ranked as a borderline 1st rounder since September.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM ]
Just like Jason Verrett, his size is the only question mark, not his game. In Baalke we trust if they decide his skills are more important than his measureables.
He is a baller! He would be a great pick up! Maybe with one of our 2nd rd picks.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Just like Jason Verrett, his size is the only question mark, not his game. In Baalke we trust if they decide his skills are more important than his measureables.

The way I look at it, the 49ers need to replace two CB's this offseason. Brown and Rogers. Conceivably they could have Brock and Culliver playing on the outside, if that's the case, now you need a slot corner. I can't think of anyone that makes a better slot corner than either of those two guys that you just mentioned. As much as the 49ers play in the nickel formation in Fangio's defense, a high quality slot corner is essential. I think Joyner could do an awesome job, as could Verrett as well.

A guy that got bashed last draft for his lack of size and speed, Nickell Robey out of USC, at 5'7", signed as an undrafted free agent, turned out to be a monster of a nickelback for the Bills, incredible acquisition as a UDFA. Everyone talks about Marcus Cooper, but Robey excelled for Buffalo and made some huge plays for them but was overlooked, not for his skill, but size and speed issues it seemed.

Skill does matter and I think a guy like Joyner could be a very good nickel corner and potentially a safety in the NFL for a long time.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Short of hijacking a school bus or a serious injury, there's no way he's getting out of the 2nd round. He's been ranked as a borderline 1st rounder since September.

Kyle Posey ‏@The_KP_Show Jan 21
Texans scout said they have a 2nd round grade on Lamarcus Joyner. Titans scout said they have a 4th.
Texans scout said they have a 2nd round grade on Lamarcus Joyner. Titans scout said they have a 4th.

Oh yes, the annual pre-draft smokescreen BS. When the 49ers drafted Bowman, you had teams that had completely taken him off their draft boards. Most of what you hear from unnamed scouts at this juncture is 100% b******t, just like the unnamed Packers scout saying that Boyd is "undraftable."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2014 at 2:49 PM ]

Oh yes, the annual pre-draft smokescreen BS. When the 49ers drafted Bowman, you had teams that had completely taken him off their draft boards. Most of what you hear from unnamed scouts at this juncture is 100% b******t, just like the unnamed Packers scout saying that Boyd is "undraftable."

you have you belief system I have mine we agree to disagree I still like the KID as a slot CB

you have you belief system I have mine we agree to disagree I still like the KID as a slot CB

I think he'll end up being a better player than any other cornerbacks besides Dennard, Gilbert and Roberson, yes that even includes Verrett. He's a pure playmaker, if he was 5'11" he 'd be a Top 15 pick.
Agreed 100%, Phoenix.

Joyner is a big-time impact player, at CB or S. Always around the football, hits a ton, great on special teams, and has terrific intangibles by all accounts.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Agreed 100%, Phoenix.

Joyner is a big-time impact player, at CB or S. Always around the football, hits a ton, great on special teams, and has terrific intangibles by all accounts.

I think for a winning team like the 49ers that is relatively stacked, Joyner does all the little things you need to win, put him anywhere, he'll make plays, as a nickelback, as a safety, on special teams, the guy loves to play football, loves to compete, is about as professional and hard-working as it gets, just a true playmaker, you can never have enough of those guys.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 24, 2014 at 3:05 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

The way I look at it, the 49ers need to replace two CB's this offseason. Brown and Rogers. Conceivably they could have Brock and Culliver playing on the outside, if that's the case, now you need a slot corner. I can't think of anyone that makes a better slot corner than either of those two guys that you just mentioned. As much as the 49ers play in the nickel formation in Fangio's defense, a high quality slot corner is essential. I think Joyner could do an awesome job, as could Verrett as well.

A guy that got bashed last draft for his lack of size and speed, Nickell Robey out of USC, at 5'7", signed as an undrafted free agent, turned out to be a monster of a nickelback for the Bills, incredible acquisition as a UDFA. Everyone talks about Marcus Cooper, but Robey excelled for Buffalo and made some huge plays for them but was overlooked, not for his skill, but size and speed issues it seemed.

Skill does matter and I think a guy like Joyner could be a very good nickel corner and potentially a safety in the NFL for a long time.

I agree. That's why I predicted Verrett would be our pick at # 30 in my latest mock. I just as easily could have put Joyner there.

According to Dane Brugler of CBS Sports.com:

He has smooth hips to easily turn and adjust, showing the fluid footwork to drive quickly on the ball with very good read/react skills.

Verrett's best traits are his ballhawking ability to bait throws and the timing and confidence to undercut routes, looking like a magnet to the ball. He also has good toughness and strength for the position, routinely throwing his body around and making plays in run support.

Joyner's scouting report pretty much says the same things, except Joyner is considered a bigger hitter despite his size.

I think the Niners could do a lot worse than either one of these two guys in the late first or early second.

I think he'll end up being a better player than any other cornerbacks besides Dennard, Gilbert and Roberson, yes that even includes Verrett. He's a pure playmaker, if he was 5'11" he 'd be a Top 15 pick.

No doubt I hope he is a 49er either way and is the new slot CB. I cant stand Rogers any longer
Share 49ersWebzone