LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 340 users in the forums

LaMarcus Joyner-CB/S-FSU

Originally posted by Harbaalke:
I totally agree with you but because of his size he will be a 3rd/4th round pick but the kid is a baller good choice

no i think people saw what that kid from LSU did for the Cards and will take him higher. No way he falls out of the 2nd. Probably will go in the 1st round.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
I totally agree with you but because of his size he will be a 3rd/4th round pick but the kid is a baller good choice

no i think people saw what that kid from LSU did for the Cards and will take him higher. No way he falls out of the 2nd. Probably will go in the 1st round.

I'm glad someone said it before I did.

The cliche of the NFL being a copycat league will strike again when it comes to Joyner.

A team that saw Mathieu, wanted to take him but was scared by his red flags will pounce on Joyner.

Joyner has the talent to warrant his selection at almost any point within reason but someone is going to probably reach by 20 picks to a full round if they like him enough.

If the draft process and free agency shakes out like it likely will I could see him being a viable target for us in the first but most and very likely with Chiefs pick, potentially a slight trade up into the early to middle second.
Nm
[ Edited by Nalo9er on Feb 1, 2014 at 8:40 PM ]
Yea size can be overcome. I just found out at the beginning of the season that Brock is 5'9
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
ha, how'd i miss this thread?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
So CBSSports has Joyner ranked as CB not a Safety. 6th ranked CB -- 48th overall prospect. If we could get Joyner and Jimmy Ward we could have truly interchangeable SS/CBs
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:21 PM ]
been hyping up this bandwagon for awhile now. big fan of the kid. could be our version of Tyrann Mathieu, a versatile DB that can play anywhere from CB or S on the field. hits hard, willing tackler, decent awareness, and fast. I'd love this kid in the 2nd round
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
been hyping up this bandwagon for awhile now. big fan of the kid. could be our version of Tyrann Mathieu, a versatile DB that can play anywhere from CB or S on the field. hits hard, willing tackler, decent awareness, and fast. I'd love this kid in the 2nd round

I would say great awareness, his football instincts are his meal ticket more or less. He doesn't seem to think about what's going to happen so much as knowing what is going to happen, tremendous ability to read a defense and react appropriately.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:

I would say great awareness, his football instincts are his meal ticket more or less. He doesn't seem to think about what's going to happen so much as knowing what is going to happen, tremendous ability to read a defense and react appropriately.

at this point of his development, i'd rank him under someone like Mathieu as far as awareness and how quickly he reacts. that's not necessarily a bad thing, i just considered Mathieu as a special prospect in that category.
I'm on the bandwagon . . . Hell of a play maker.

Ideally with a 2nd rounder. #30 seems like a reach at this point but I wouldn't be disappointed if we targeted him and used one 2nd and one 3rd to move up for him.

Originally posted by sfout:
So CBSSports has Joyner ranked as CB not a Safety. 6th ranked CB -- 48th overall prospect. If we could get Joyner and Jimmy Ward we could have truly interchangeable SS/CBs

Everyone has him as a CB. Scouts Inc has him as their 3rd ranked CB, behind Gilbert and Dennard. Terrific utility player, an ideal slot corner, can also put him at safety and on special teams coverage too.
I really want to love this guy but can't as much as some on this board. Besides their similarities being extremely undersized and used in a similar role as Mathieu (blitz heavy and often in the slot), I think Tyrann Mathieu is night and day a better prospect and playmaker.

Joyner doesn't have the looseness in the hips, nose for the ball, and natural play making ability that Mathieu did. Don't get me wrong he is quick, gritty, hits like someone twice his size, and a solid football player, but almost every single one of his biggest plays came off of blitzes where he went untouched to the qb or a tip where he was in the right place at the right time. I don't see him making the same type of self-made plays that Mathieu did and he is not close to Mathieu from a special team's perspective. I would love him as a 3rd rounder but he doesn't do enough things special to make up for his woeful lack of size (enough to be a 1st or 2nd rounder). With all that said I would draft him in a heartbeat in the 3rd round because I do think he could make a starting caliber cb/s tweener for a creative coordinator.
[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Feb 11, 2014 at 8:39 PM ]
Where did this slot CB s**t come from? I heard Todd McShay say Gilbert isn't 6ft and is probably 5'10. Is he now a slot corner? This dude is a baller.
[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 13, 2014 at 8:15 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
Where did this slot CB s**t come from? I heard Todd McShay say Gilbert isn't 6ft and is probably 5'10. Is he now a slot corner? This dude is a baller.

If that's true and he drops, its going to show why so many teams remain hapless, year in and year out.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by lamontb:

If that's true and he drops, its going to show why so many teams remain hapless, year in and year out.

True but I doubt he drops. I was just listening to McShay and Kiper's podcast, and McShay brought up that measurables at the combine will be crazy b/c many of these db's aren't as tall as they are listed. And he said he's sure Gilbert isn't 6ft and closer to 5'10. Just seems like fans are now so fixated with height regarding cb's that good players are being overly downgraded.
Share 49ersWebzone