49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 806 users in the forums

2014 NFL Combine

Browse 49ers books and videos
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Benjamin at 240? eh pass might be a tight end in a few years

Calvin Johnson weighed 239 at his combine weigh-in. Just sayin'.

Ill put my money he won't run a 4.3 Johnson is a freak maybe next year Dorial Green Beckham can match Johnson

You said you wanted to pass on him due to his weight. I was just pointing out that weighing nearly 240 hasn't been a problem for Calvin Johnson, who also happens to be 6'5".

But yes, it is likely he won't run a 4.32 like Calvin Johnson ran. And I'm not comparing him to Calvin, even though his college stats were eerily similar.

Calvin Johnson's third year at GT: 76 catches for 1202 yards and 15 TDs, 15.8 ypc... Never broke 1000 prior to that season.
Kelvin Benjamin's second year at FSU: 54 catches for 1011 yards and 15 TDs, 18.7 ypc... Never broke 1000 prior to that season.

Again, not comparing him to Calvin... yet. It's virtually impossible to project someone becoming a Megatron-level player--part of why Calvin got picked behind JaMarcus Russell.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked if he ran in the neighborhood of 4.5, which would be more than adequate. Dez Bryant ran a 4.52, for comparison.

Bottom line: he's not going to end up at TE.

Good post.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Dez Bryant ran a 4.52, for comparison.

Dez Bryant didn't run at the combine. That was a pro day time, and there are too many variables to compare combine numbers to pro day numbers.

You're nitpicking. If anything, chances are Bryant's 40 would have been slower at the combine. Pro day times are almost always faster. Regardless of whether Benjamin runs a 4.5 at the combine or his pro day, that's darn good speed for a big man like him.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Do Not Count It Twice

Before breaking down specific sections of the Combine, let me touch on an idea that could prove important during on-field tests. When watching prospects’ game action, an evaluation takes athletic upside into account if it is a noticeable trait.

Sometimes these prospects who possess a “high ceiling,” thanks to (almost purely) their on-field athleticism, end up being Combine “winners” and see their evaluation raised.

Why?

Those movement skills, explosion and natural athleticism are already a major part of these prospects’ evaluations.

taken from Norris: NFL Combine Preview

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46290/351/norris-nfl-combine-preview

interesting read.

This guy Norris seems to have good thoughts.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Wide Receivers--Big Hands Team

Jordan Matthews 10 3/8
Kelvin Benjamin 10 1/4
Jarvis Landry 10 1/4
Willie Snead 10 1/4
Odell Beckham 10
Theodis Colter 10
Michael Davis 10
Austin Franklin 10
Tailer Jones 10
Kevin Norwood 10
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,443
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by ESWYoung08:
Btw here's where I got that info. http://q.usatoday.com/2014/02/21/nfl-combine-measurements-johnny-manziel-mike-evans-logan-thomas/

Takes from that article.

Jordan Lynch's claims about scouts telling him he can be a QB actually means "They told me I could be a #3 QB in the NFL". His tiny arms and hands at just 6 feet? Good luck playing QB IMO

WTF was JC Copeland thinking, a 271 pound FB? He making a switch to DL? lol....

Andre Williams falls into the Baalke arm love fest w/ 33.5 inch arms

My lone offensive attendee from Utah, Anthony Denham,has some monster measureables. I can only hope he shows something worthwhile to be a late round/UDFA. Good to see that Utah didn't embellish his size at all at 6'4" 235 and 10.5" hands. Wonder what he'll run.

Jake Murphy is there at TE also.

Yea I remembered when I was posting that but that is just a metaphor about for how much I've cooled on Murphy. Sure he could a Heath Miller like TE but I'm not too enthused about his ceiling being much higher than what he is at now.

I think Denham could be coached up fairly well into exactly what a given team wants from him whether it is a WR or a TE/H-Back.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Wide Receivers--Long Arms Team

Kelvin Benjamin 34 7/8
Mike Evans 35 1/8
Brandon Coleman 34
Marcus Lucas 33 5/8
Devin Street 33 3/8
L'Damian Washington 33 3/8
Cody Hoffman 33 1/4
Jordan Matthews 33 1/4
Willie Snead 33
Odell Beckham 32 3/4
Originally posted by buck:
Wide Receivers--Long Arms Team

Kelvin Benjamin 34 7/8
Mike Evans 35 1/8
Brandon Coleman 34
Marcus Lucas 33 5/8
Devin Street 33 3/8
L'Damian Washington 33 3/8
Cody Hoffman 33 1/4
Jordan Matthews 33 1/4
Willie Snead 33
Odell Beckham 32 3/4

What's Allen Robinson?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,443
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by buck:
Wide Receivers--Long Arms Team

Kelvin Benjamin 34 7/8
Mike Evans 35 1/8
Brandon Coleman 34
Marcus Lucas 33 5/8
Devin Street 33 3/8
L'Damian Washington 33 3/8
Cody Hoffman 33 1/4
Jordan Matthews 33 1/4
Willie Snead 33
Odell Beckham 32 3/4

What's Allen Robinson?

9 1/2" hands with 32" arms
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Carlos Hyde 5'11 7/8 230, Jeremy Hill 6'0 5/8 233, Kadeem Carey-5'9 3/8 207, Tre Mason 5'8 1/2 207, Terrance West 5'9 1/4 225, Andre Williams 5'11 3/8 230, Bishop Sankey 5'9 1/2 209.

Hyde is the best back in this draft, and it isn't close. Wouldn't mind the team picking him in the first round, if he is available. He will be a dominant force, just like Lacy, who I graded similarly last season.

What's your take on Andre Williams MD? Looks pretty good on game film. Watching the film on both, Williams looks more explosive.

Hits the hole really hard. Tough, physical runner. Does not have a second gear, but will be a guy who moves the chains. A nice mid-round pick up for a team. For me, Carlos Hyde is dramatically better for a somewhat similar sized back.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:

This is why I have Lee toward the bottom of the first round. Guys who are sub 6', are relatively thin, and do not blow people away with their forty time, struggle to get picked early.

I dont care if Lee is under 6 foot. I would take him for sure with the 30th pick if he fell to the Niners.

I think many would agree with you.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by buck:
Wide Receivers--Long Arms Team

Kelvin Benjamin 34 7/8
Mike Evans 35 1/8
Brandon Coleman 34
Marcus Lucas 33 5/8
Devin Street 33 3/8
L'Damian Washington 33 3/8
Cody Hoffman 33 1/4
Jordan Matthews 33 1/4
Willie Snead 33
Odell Beckham 32 3/4

What's Allen Robinson?

9 1/2" hands with 32" arms

That is what I have him at also.
Originally posted by buck:
Wide Receivers--Long Arms Team

Kelvin Benjamin 34 7/8
Mike Evans 35 1/8
Brandon Coleman 34
Marcus Lucas 33 5/8
Devin Street 33 3/8
L'Damian Washington 33 3/8
Cody Hoffman 33 1/4
Jordan Matthews 33 1/4
Willie Snead 33
Odell Beckham 32 3/4

Where do you get this info?
I've tried finding it but I only find like marquee players info
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:

This is why I have Lee toward the bottom of the first round. Guys who are sub 6', are relatively thin, and do not blow people away with their forty time, struggle to get picked early.

I dont care if Lee is under 6 foot. I would take him for sure with the 30th pick if he fell to the Niners.

I think many would agree with you.

I'd take Cooks, if they were both available. Neither is big enough to consistently win contested balls or block for outside runs, but Cooks seems just as fast/productive/quick, with a lot more toughness and durability. Just my $0.02
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Good post.

You're nitpicking. If anything, chances are Bryant's 40 would have been slower at the combine. Pro day times are almost always faster. Regardless of whether Benjamin runs a 4.5 at the combine or his pro day, that's darn good speed for a big man like him.

I agree with what you're saying. But when you're talking hundredths of a second nitpicking is necessary.
Originally posted by sfout:
Takes from that article.

Jordan Lynch's claims about scouts telling him he can be a QB actually means "They told me I could be a #3 QB in the NFL". His tiny arms and hands at just 6 feet? Good luck playing QB IMO

WTF was JC Copeland thinking, a 271 pound FB? He making a switch to DL? lol....

Andre Williams falls into the Baalke arm love fest w/ 33.5 inch arms

My lone offensive attendee from Utah, Anthony Denham,has some monster measureables. I can only hope he shows something worthwhile to be a late round/UDFA. Good to see that Utah didn't embellish his size at all at 6'4" 235 and 10.5" hands. Wonder what he'll run.


He was a defensive lineman who converted to fullback. I see nothing wrong with him remaining at his current weight, might help to drop off a few pounds but he's primarily a blocking fullback, has the same sort of role as Tukuafu.
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,137
Wide Receivers--Small Hands

Isaiah Burse 8 3/8
John Brown 8 1/2
Tevin Reese 8 5/8
Paul Richardson 8 7/8
Jalen Saunders 8 7/8
L'Damian Washington 9
Davante Adams 9
Jeffrey Janis 9
Damian Copeland 9
Donte Moncrief 9 1/8
Charles Hazel 9 1/8
Albert Wilson 9 1/8
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone