LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Draftcountdown.com's latest mock(Scott Wright's 1 Rounder)

Originally posted by SFrush:
I'd rather have Allen Robinson if we're taking a WR.

Not down with the idea of another possession receiver, especially if they like Patton. Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, all possession type receivers. Would prefer someone explosive who can get downfield and be a deep threat, this includes Beckham, Paul Richardson, Moncrief, obviously Watkins and a few other guys.
Watched every USC game last year and Lee was a special WR. He won the Biletnikoff award and would have been a very high first rd pick had he been able to come out in my opinion. This year the guy was hurt all year.

I really believe he would be excellent value if taken in the late 20s and would give the Niners a dynamic WR to pair with Crabtree. I'm not counting on Boldin next year either.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
Kolohe: you didn't answer my questions but to answer your question, I would not franchise any of them, but we have seen how poor our wr corps looks without crabs. If Bold in isn't resigned then that is as glaring of a need as cb. Corner is just as unpredictable to draft as WR so I wouldn't rule out either. Chances are the Niners will need to trade up to get the player they covet and considering they will invest in Kaep for the future, they may want to get a top WR for him. Same goes for corner. They will trade up to get the corner they want.

Well, I think if you couldn't get Boldin to re-sign, the franchise tag is not a punishment but a tool to keep Boldin here, and your WR fears are lowered a few levels. And like I said, where the 9ers will be picking I see more value in CB than I do WR. Yes, the 9ers may need to trade up and if they do I hope its for Sammy Watkins, Jordan Matthews, Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard, those are the only four I would hope the 9ers trade up for.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Kolohe: you didn't answer my questions but to answer your question, I would not franchise any of them, but we have seen how poor our wr corps looks without crabs. If Bold in isn't resigned then that is as glaring of a need as cb. Corner is just as unpredictable to draft as WR so I wouldn't rule out either. Chances are the Niners will need to trade up to get the player they covet and considering they will invest in Kaep for the future, they may want to get a top WR for him. Same goes for corner. They will trade up to get the corner they want.

Well, I think if you couldn't get Boldin to re-sign, the franchise tag is not a punishment but a tool to keep Boldin here, and your WR fears are lowered a few levels. And like I said, where the 9ers will be picking I see more value in CB than I do WR. Yes, the 9ers may need to trade up and if they do I hope its for Sammy Watkins, Jordan Matthews, Justin Gilbert or Darqueze Dennard, those are the only four I would hope the 9ers trade up for.

Agreed. I am a big fan of all of those guys and would add Lee and Kelvin Benjamin if he enters the draft.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
do not want. he need a track star or a monster at WR. we are already loaded with shifty productive possession WRs

Ricardo Lockette was a track star
[ Edited by xela510 on Dec 16, 2013 at 9:57 PM ]

Wait.. are you suggesting we use the franchise tag on Boldin?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Not down with the idea of another possession receiver, especially if they like Patton. Crabtree, Boldin, Patton, all possession type receivers. Would prefer someone explosive who can get downfield and be a deep threat, this includes Beckham, Paul Richardson, Moncrief, obviously Watkins and a few other guys.

It's about taking the BPA and Robinson is the second best Wr in this draft behind Watkins if he declares.

Besides Baalke tried to draft a speedy deep threat in Jenkins and it didn't pan out. So he may be a little gun shy drafting strictly for speed. He's better off trying to draft a compete Wr anyway imo.
[ Edited by SFrush on Dec 17, 2013 at 12:28 AM ]

Agreed. I am a big fan of all of those guys and would add Lee and Kelvin Benjamin if he enters the draft.

Why is everyone wanna this K.Benjamin kid he aint put up that great of numberz beside 14TDz this season...I rather have a more proven player not some barely hit wonder...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Yes, I know it would be a bit pricey, but honestly I really doubt the 9ers will need to use it. But he does deserve an extension, I sure as hell want the 9ers to keep him at almost whatever it takes.

You want a Marquise Lee, well the 9ers already have a couple similar ones in Patton and Manningham, yes Marquise Lee fans I said it. Give me a Jordan Matthews, Donte Moncrief, Devin Street, Brandon Coleman and/or Sammy Watkins instead.
If we keep Boldin next season I think they draft WR later in the draft,
CB is the need since it looks like we're not going to sign Brown, and Rogers is getting older.
If we were to hit a shut down CB it would let Whitner play reckless

I use to be a big nfldraftcountdown fan but seems like past few years he doesn't update mocks or ratings often. He doesn't fill in many player profiles with strengths, weaknesses, etc like he use to either. That being said I still think he does a good job with the rankings. I'd say nfldraftscout is my favorite site though but dang CBS bought it out. Anyways, as for the pick I know any good draft guy will look at the individual players and not the school but I really have a hard time trusting USC WRs as well as Penn State WR's (you guys mentioned Robinson). That being said haven't looked at them much so don't listen to me although not sure I'm really impressed by either.

And one other thing I Phoenix said it the way we play if Boldin is back we could be picking for a #3 guy to fight it out with Patton (assuming Manningham gone). We don't use our #3 that much. However, Boldin will only be around for another year or 2 so we will need someone eventually. Who knows maybe Crabtree leaves although I see us re-signing him or at least tagging him for 2015 (signed through 14). I think I'm on the bandwagon of Dennard/Gilbert/Verrett in the 1st unless we could get Clinton-Dix turn him into a SS (if Whitner is gone). Otherwise if no Clinton-Dix I'd wait until the last pick of the 2nd round because not sure anyone else is worth a 1st or the first 2nd round pick for SS. So 1st: Dennard/Gilbert/Verrett/Clinton-Dix 2nd: WR (no fav yet but so many good ones available) 2nd. SS (Bucannon, Bailey, etc? maybe wait until 3rd for SS? but without Whitner huge need). 3rd: Another WR/CB? or C 3rd: OL, DE, QB, etc
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM ]

Yes, I know it would be a bit pricey, but honestly I really doubt the 9ers will need to use it. But he does deserve an extension, I sure as hell want the 9ers to keep him at almost whatever it takes.

You want a Marquise Lee, well the 9ers already have a couple similar ones in Patton and Manningham, yes Marquise Lee fans I said it. Give me a Jordan Matthews, Donte Moncrief, Devin Street, Brandon Coleman and/or Sammy Watkins instead.

LOL at giving Boldin over 10M next year. A bit pricey? Try a HUGE overpay for a guy his age with declining speed.

As for Lee, he is WAY better than Patton or a hurt Manningham. The only WR I would take over him in the draft would be Sammy Watkins
Originally posted by SFrush:
It's about taking the BPA and Robinson is the second best Wr in this draft behind Watkins if he declares.

Besides Baalke tried to draft a speedy deep threat in Jenkins and it didn't pan out. So he may be a little gun shy drafting strictly for speed. He's better off trying to draft a compete Wr anyway imo.

Not sure where you got that claim from. By in large Robinson is ranked anywhere from 4th to as low as 9th from everything I've seen. I'd take Matthews, Benjamin, Beckham and Moncrief over him in addition to Watkins, Evans and Lee.

Also, the idea that a guy like Beckham isn't a "complete receiver" is nonsense. He was a major playmaker against some of the best defenses in college football. He's improved tremendously as a route runner and continues to do so. He has the ability to be a deep threat, but is also a threat with the ball in his hands, gaining yards after the catch, an intense competitor who has football in his blood.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM ]
LOL at giving Boldin over 10M next year. A bit pricey? Try a HUGE overpay for a guy his age with declining speed.

As for Lee, he is WAY better than Patton or a hurt Manningham. The only WR I would take over him in the draft would be Sammy Watkins

This is my issue with Lee. He's a prototypical #1 WR type but how will he handle press coverage at the NFL level? He's struggled with it thus far in college, a lot more than guys like Evans, Watkins, Moncrief and Matthews.

"Separation Skills Excellent flexibility and fluidity as a route runner. Displays rare ability to get out of breaks without losing momentum. Possesses elite acceleration out cuts to create separation. Strong feel working against zone coverage to weave through traffic and find soft spots. Only weakness is lack of strength getting off press coverage, and he has room for improvement in terms of savvy."

I also don't know that he's WAY better than Patton, and neither do you since Patton really hasn't had a chance to play.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

Boldin did not negotiate a salary reduction with the Ravens.

If we want to keep Boldin, I think we will have to extend him.

I think he might retire rather than play under a tag. Just my take on Boldin.
Share 49ersWebzone