LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 215 users in the forums

Jaelen Strong - WR, Arizona State

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I've asked this question before, what is this elusive number one receiver people say we crave? Has it led to ANY teams winning a championship in the last several seasons? It would be great to have, but I'm sorry, it's not THE missing element. I'm ok with a small trade up, similar to the one we did we get Eric Reid, but it would be insane to use a boatload of picks to get this number one receiver you seek. I bet the Atlanta Falcons are missing the five picks they gave up to get Julio Jones. It's just not worth it. Would you have been ok with the 49ers trading up the necessary picks in the 2014 draft to get Odell Beckham? Please keep in mind who we would no longer have on this team if we made such a trade.

Now, if Jalen Strong is still sitting there around the 20th pick, then Baalke should do it. In 2015, I think WR is finally high up on the 49ers need list, so I'd expect one within our first three picks. I'm actually hoping they take two. One as a Boldin replacement (one year early) and another to be a deep threat.

Top WRs are valuable, but not necessary. You need a pass rush, QB, and O-Line. Those 3 are the priorities IMO in building a team.

After that its just gravy in case you run into a team that also has a QB, pass rush , and O-Line.

I think our problem is our receiving core as a whole is one-dimensional. Don't really have a burner, some super quick slot guy, or a WR with size. As a result I think our receiving core is easy to match up with, some of the big pass plays happen as Kap extends the play and broken coverage results (ie Crabtree 4th down reception).

Teams don't have to adjust to our WR threat. All a D has to be worried about is Kap's legs, makes it easier to play D against us so long as they don't lose contain. Even though we have a great run game with Gore/Hyde, were not a play aciton offense. s**t Roman will be like "pass play, 5-wide WR now!!!", run play "put in 3 TE's and a FB!!!!!"
Officially, Strong's vertical leap is a team-high 39 inches, but Shawn Griswold — ASU's head coach of sports performance — says that number is misleading because it was taken after a summer of conditioning when Strong had "dead legs." Give him time to work on it, Griswold said, and Strong easily could jump 42.

Strong also has a team-best 10-feet, 7-inch standing long jump, and Griswold says his speed his better than people think.

"I'm telling you, he's in the 4.4 (range for 40 yards),'' Griswold said. "I have no doubt in my mind. He just doesn't look like it because he's such a long-limbed kid. He's tall with long legs and long arms. It's just like with (former ASU running back) Marion Grice. Nobody thought Marion was very fast, but Marion's fast. It just doesn't take much effort for those guys to run, they more like glide."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2014/11/12/asu-receiver-jaelen-strong-makes-acrobatic-catches-look-routine/18932757/

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
At this point he is one of my favorite WR this year. I would love to see him as a 49er. From the tapes I saw my pro comparison is Marques Colston.

NFL Scout Compares Jaelen Strong To Marques Colston

Arizona State wide receiver Jaelen Strong is expected to turn pro early and enter the 2015 draft, and an NFL scout compares the Sun Devils star to New Orleans Saints star Marques Colston.

"He is big, physical and competitive with great hands," the scout told Sports Illustrateds Inside Read feature. "He is not a burner. He is probably 4.53 in the 40, but Marques Colston and all these guys get in the league and do really well. He is one of those. He will be a really good player."

Strong and Colston both bring impressive size to the position, Colston at 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, while Strong stands 6-3 and weighs 212. NFL Media analyst Charles Davis regards Strong as one of the most underrated offensive playmakers in the college game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000415337/article/scout-compares-jaelen-strong-to-marques-colston

"He is not a burner. He is probably 4.53 in the 40, but Marques Colston and all these guys get in the league and do really well. He is one of those. He will be a really good player."

^ as a hometown boy that's seen a lot of MC, I think that's a really good comparison. Even a Robert Meachem.. with less speed, but much better hands and ability for the highlight grabs.

It would not at all surprise me if Strong runs in the 4.50-4.55 range. Nothing wrong with that.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Officially, Strong's vertical leap is a team-high 39 inches, but Shawn Griswold — ASU's head coach of sports performance — says that number is misleading because it was taken after a summer of conditioning when Strong had "dead legs." Give him time to work on it, Griswold said, and Strong easily could jump 42.

Strong also has a team-best 10-feet, 7-inch standing long jump, and Griswold says his speed his better than people think.

"I'm telling you, he's in the 4.4 (range for 40 yards),'' Griswold said. "I have no doubt in my mind. He just doesn't look like it because he's such a long-limbed kid. He's tall with long legs and long arms. It's just like with (former ASU running back) Marion Grice. Nobody thought Marion was very fast, but Marion's fast. It just doesn't take much effort for those guys to run, they more like glide."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2014/11/12/asu-receiver-jaelen-strong-makes-acrobatic-catches-look-routine/18932757/

If he runs a 4.4. he's long gone before we pick.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
vs Stanford

vs Notre Dame

At this point he is one of my favorite WR this year. I would love to see him as a 49er. From the tapes I saw my pro comparison is Marques Colston.

Arizona State wide receiver Jaelen Strong is expected to turn pro early and enter the 2015 draft, and an NFL scout compares the Sun Devils star to New Orleans Saints star Marques Colston.

"He is big, physical and competitive with great hands," the scout told Sports Illustrateds Inside Read feature. "He is not a burner. He is probably 4.53 in the 40, but Marques Colston and all these guys get in the league and do really well. He is one of those. He will be a really good player."

Strong and Colston both bring impressive size to the position, Colston at 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, while Strong stands 6-3 and weighs 212. NFL Media analyst Charles Davis regards Strong as one of the most underrated offensive playmakers in the college game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000415337/article/scout-compares-jaelen-strong-to-marques-colston

That is a good comparison. And I agree with their estimate of speed. He is mid 4.5's, not a 4.4 guy
My top 3 guys for WR

1. Strong
2. Agholor
3. Diggs
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
vs USC

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I've asked this question before, what is this elusive number one receiver people say we crave? Has it led to ANY teams winning a championship in the last several seasons? It would be great to have, but I'm sorry, it's not THE missing element. I'm ok with a small trade up, similar to the one we did we get Eric Reid, but it would be insane to use a boatload of picks to get this number one receiver you seek. I bet the Atlanta Falcons are missing the five picks they gave up to get Julio Jones. It's just not worth it. Would you have been ok with the 49ers trading up the necessary picks in the 2014 draft to get Odell Beckham? Please keep in mind who we would no longer have on this team if we made such a trade.

Now, if Jalen Strong is still sitting there around the 20th pick, then Baalke should do it. In 2015, I think WR is finally high up on the 49ers need list, so I'd expect one within our first three picks. I'm actually hoping they take two. One as a Boldin replacement (one year early) and another to be a deep threat.

Top WRs are valuable, but not necessary. You need a pass rush, QB, and O-Line. Those 3 are the priorities IMO in building a team.

After that its just gravy in case you run into a team that also has a QB, pass rush , and O-Line.

I think our problem is our receiving core as a whole is one-dimensional. Don't really have a burner, some super quick slot guy, or a WR with size. As a result I think our receiving core is easy to match up with, some of the big pass plays happen as Kap extends the play and broken coverage results (ie Crabtree 4th down reception).

Teams don't have to adjust to our WR threat. All a D has to be worried about is Kap's legs, makes it easier to play D against us so long as they don't lose contain. Even though we have a great run game with Gore/Hyde, were not a play aciton offense. s**t Roman will be like "pass play, 5-wide WR now!!!", run play "put in 3 TE's and a FB!!!!!"

This explanation along with another poster, I believe their point was that the coaching staff doesn't use one-dimension guys, makes sense.

But what you are saying is that this is more of a coaching issue. We have three guys known for having good hands more or less, but they aren't put into positions that emphasize their strengths. With this receiving core, I'd expect shorter drops and more of a classic WCO. They have size, can route routes, and have decent to great hands. We would be better off if we had an outside speed guy, and I've stated before that I want one, but even still, I don't think we'll see the full potential of this offense (or even close to it) because of play calling.

With that said, IF the 49ers take a player like Strong, I hope they use a 3rd on a speed guy. I won't go any lower than that because anyone that falls lower probably needs more development/coaching than we can offer at the time . However, a lineup of Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington, Strong, and more of a pure speed guy looks pretty good for 2015. It also would have us relying on more of the young players because at least one of the young guys would be getting some significant playing time.

This explanation along with another poster, I believe their point was that the coaching staff doesn't use one-dimension guys, makes sense.

But what you are saying is that this is more of a coaching issue. We have three guys known for having good hands more or less, but they aren't put into positions that emphasize their strengths. With this receiving core, I'd expect shorter drops and more of a classic WCO. They have size, can route routes, and have decent to great hands. We would be better off if we had an outside speed guy, and I've stated before that I want one, but even still, I don't think we'll see the full potential of this offense (or even close to it) because of play calling.

With that said, IF the 49ers take a player like Strong, I hope they use a 3rd on a speed guy. I won't go any lower than that because anyone that falls lower probably needs more development/coaching than we can offer at the time . However, a lineup of Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington, Strong, and more of a pure speed guy looks pretty good for 2015. It also would have us relying on more of the young players because at least one of the young guys would be getting some significant playing time.

Right on. Yeah, I'd draft a guy like Strong for the imminent future. He's still got some learning to do.. and you don't want to rely on him (or most rookies) in their rookie season.Strong would contribute.. but not all that much in yr 1, unless injuries mount. He's there to replace Boldin after 2015.. and to learn in yr 1 as he provides depth and subs in from time to time.

I think sometimes people get too enamored with pure 4.3 - 4.4 speed. I should know.. I was one of said people. Pure speed is not the lone reason for whether opponents pull a safety to help a CB on WRs. Nor is it the only way a WR can threaten deep. Opponents better have a large and top-shelf CB to go 1 on 1 with Strong deep and win the battle.

Safeties cheating over due to speed... or cheating over due to a WR's superior size and ball skills. There is no one way that this can work.
[ Edited by Mr.Mcgibblets on Nov 20, 2014 at 5:38 AM ]
DP

this site always gives me trouble in the early a.m.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Highlight Tape

[ Edited by DeUh on Feb 12, 2015 at 2:01 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
My top 3 guys for WR

1. Strong
2. Agholor
3. Diggs

Wat. What of Cooper? Parker? White?Diggs and Agholor are a third rounders at best.
Share 49ersWebzone