LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 147 users in the forums

Jaelen Strong - WR, Arizona State

I'm assuming that Crabtree and Lloyd are gone after this year, with Boldin probably gone 1-2 years after that. Jalen Strong is the best Boldin replacement I've seen in a while, Stevie and Quinton are Crabtree-type WR (IMO), but we lose the deep threat with Lloyd moving on. How likely is it that we could get Strong and someone like Coates or Parker?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I'm assuming that Crabtree and Lloyd are gone after this year, with Boldin probably gone 1-2 years after that. Jalen Strong is the best Boldin replacement I've seen in a while, Stevie and Quinton are Crabtree-type WR (IMO), but we lose the deep threat with Lloyd moving on. How likely is it that we could get Strong and someone like Coates or Parker?

Not very likely at all. Would have to draft a WR in back to back rounds.
I'd take Strong early and then find a deep threat later in the draft, unless a Brandon Cooks type of player is available at the end of the first, deep threats can be had later.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'd take Strong early and then find a deep threat later in the draft, unless a Brandon Cooks type of player is available at the end of the first, deep threats can be had later.

But we don't put one-trick deep threats on the field. We need an every down WR who is also a deep threat. Those guys go early.

But we don't put one-trick deep threats on the field. We need an every down WR who is also a deep threat. Those guys go early.

You're 100% right on this. This is a flaw in this coaching staff. To me, its nothing wrong with a legit deep threat (who may be a one trick pony) that can command's a double team/extra safety over the top. There are so many benefits to have that kind of player on the team. And considering they would be the third receiver at best, it's ok if they aren't an every down receiver. I'd love to see an absolute play maker, get the ball in his hands any way you can type of receiver on this team. Ellington is potentially one, but we still haven't see the big return yet or him used on a deep pass. As creative as this staff can be with the running game, our creativity in the passing game is lacking.

See White, Kevin WVU

I don't think Baalke is likely to trade up more than a few spots in the first round, but it's a failing of his IMO. Baalke should target a true #1 WR (speed, production and blocking ability) and trade up, even if it hurts. The lack of a true #1 is the chain holding back the whole team.
Strong and Busta Anderson are the two skill guys I want in this draft. The rest we can use on OL/DL and call it a day.
Originally posted by genus49:
Strong and Busta Anderson are the two skill guys I want in this draft. The rest we can use on OL/DL and call it a day.

I think when drafting WRs, special attention has to be given to guys with strong hands. Sure we can draft all the speedsters or guys with great size we want, but they have to catch Kap's 70mph fast balls.

I'm not rooting for the 49ers to pick Strong, just because I don't know if we are drafting a WR. I guess we could lose Crabtree creating the need for the WR though. But if we re-sign Crabs, we should just re-sign Lloyd and keep the same WRs.

On Strong, I do think he has the hands to catch Kap's fast balls. I would say at this point, Strong has the best hands of any WR in the draft. I just think the big question mark is his speed. I'd guess he only runs like a 4.65. Really hard to tell though.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I think when drafting WRs, special attention has to be given to guys with strong hands. Sure we can draft all the speedsters or guys with great size we want, but they have to catch Kap's 70mph fast balls.

I'm not rooting for the 49ers to pick Strong, just because I don't know if we are drafting a WR. I guess we could lose Crabtree creating the need for the WR though. But if we re-sign Crabs, we should just re-sign Lloyd and keep the same WRs.

On Strong, I do think he has the hands to catch Kap's fast balls. I would say at this point, Strong has the best hands of any WR in the draft. I just think the big question mark is his speed. I'd guess he only runs like a 4.65. Really hard to tell though.

He can be a taller version of Anquan Boldin, I'm good with that :)

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:

Like I said last year, excellent hands and one of the best I've ever seen at jump balls
Strong seems to be our answer to red zone issues, need a guy with hands who can get the jump ball.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

I don't think Baalke is likely to trade up more than a few spots in the first round, but it's a failing of his IMO. Baalke should target a true #1 WR (speed, production and blocking ability) and trade up, even if it hurts. The lack of a true #1 is the chain holding back the whole team.

I've asked this question before, what is this elusive number one receiver people say we crave? Has it led to ANY teams winning a championship in the last several seasons? It would be great to have, but I'm sorry, it's not THE missing element. I'm ok with a small trade up, similar to the one we did we get Eric Reid, but it would be insane to use a boatload of picks to get this number one receiver you seek. I bet the Atlanta Falcons are missing the five picks they gave up to get Julio Jones. It's just not worth it. Would you have been ok with the 49ers trading up the necessary picks in the 2014 draft to get Odell Beckham? Please keep in mind who we would no longer have on this team if we made such a trade.

Now, if Jalen Strong is still sitting there around the 20th pick, then Baalke should do it. In 2015, I think WR is finally high up on the 49ers need list, so I'd expect one within our first three picks. I'm actually hoping they take two. One as a Boldin replacement (one year early) and another to be a deep threat.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

I've asked this question before, what is this elusive number one receiver people say we crave? Has it led to ANY teams winning a championship in the last several seasons? It would be great to have, but I'm sorry, it's not THE missing element. I'm ok with a small trade up, similar to the one we did we get Eric Reid, but it would be insane to use a boatload of picks to get this number one receiver you seek. I bet the Atlanta Falcons are missing the five picks they gave up to get Julio Jones. It's just not worth it. Would you have been ok with the 49ers trading up the necessary picks in the 2014 draft to get Odell Beckham? Please keep in mind who we would no longer have on this team if we made such a trade.

Now, if Jalen Strong is still sitting there around the 20th pick, then Baalke should do it. In 2015, I think WR is finally high up on the 49ers need list, so I'd expect one within our first three picks. I'm actually hoping they take two. One as a Boldin replacement (one year early) and another to be a deep threat.

I think (If we want one of the height/weight/speed guys) there are several of them here. DGB, Parker, Coates, White are all likely going to be in the draft this year, so it seems likely that one of them will still be there later on in the first. I want an outside deep threat badly, but I don't think they would get any snaps from this staff if they aren't also an every down guy (run all routes and BLOCK), so the bigger body helps.
Share 49ersWebzone