LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This team will either pick....

~ A small weak WR who has no physicality.
~ A guy with no mental toughness.
~ A guy who just can't play at all at the NFL level and is completely overwhelmed and out classed.
~ A brittle, fragile WR who is injured all the time and can't play.

We got to have the worst WR scouting I've ever seen..... For goodness sakes let somebody other than Baalke or Harbaugh pick it. At least on WR. They are pretty good at some things. Picking WR's is not one of them.

From what I've seen with Baalke, he seems to pick WRs this way:

1. Look for steals in either "high production - decent measurables" or "decent production - outstanding measurables".
2. Raw players with not much to go off of that he thinks have certain "tools" to coach into a good player.
3. High character guys with OK measurables and/or stats that he thinks can "work" themselves into be decent.

This formula simply will not work very well compartmentalized like this. I'm sure they consider many factors, but at the end of the day, they look for a specific guy instead of the best guy at WR. I use a comprehensive system to grade my receivers and I have been right on far more than I've been wrong. To give some examples of players I've hit and missed on (we have to go back to at least the 2012 draft or sooner):

Right:
A.J. Jenkins - 4th round grade. He never should've been taken in the 1st. That was asinine.
DeVier Posey - 6th round grade. Houston never should've picked him in the 3rd.
Dexter McCluster - 4th round grade. He's got some skill, but his production really hasn't been what people expected. Except me.
T.J. Graham - 6th round grade. I still to this day cannot figure out why Buffalo took him in the third. Truly baffling. He has 2 catches for 9 yards this season.
Antonio Brown - 3rd round grade. I was dumbfounded he made it past the fourth round. The guy had amazing tools that jumped out on film.
Mike Williams (Bucs) - 3rd round grade. I understood he had some off-field problems, but felt it wouldn't follow him and his talent warranted an early selection.

Wrong:
Devon Wylie - 3rd round grade. Injuries hampered some, but I thought his abilities would translate into a contributor. They haven't, so far.
Mardy Gilyard - 3rd round grade. Thought for sure his route-running and playmaking would make up for lacking measurables. Didn't happen.
Arrelious Benn - 2nd round grade. Injuries have really ruined his career, and I don't know if he'll get another shot with Philly. You could argue he didn't have much chance behind Williams and V-Jax in Tampa and with a mediocre QB in Freeman, but he never really flashed anything that indicated he was the 2nd round talent I saw him as. I hoped the NFL could teach him to not body-catch the ball and that he'd stay healthy, but Benn hasn't seemed to be able to do those things.
Anybody know anything about WR Chris Conley frm Georgia bulldogs ??? Ive been watching tha georgia lsu game N tha kids is making catch after catch ....

~ A guy who just can't play at all at the NFL level and is completely overwhelmed and out classed.

We got to have the worst WR scouting I've ever seen..... For goodness sakes let somebody other than Baalke or Harbaugh pick it. At least on WR. They are pretty good at some things. Picking WR's is not one of them.

Honestly, I can't even dispute this. I really don't trust this team when it comes to scouting and evaluating WR talent .
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Anybody know anything about WR Chris Conley frm Georgia bulldogs ??? Ive been watching tha georgia lsu game N tha kids is making catch after catch ....

He's a junior that has failed to produce up to his physical potential in his first 2 years. UGA has declared this will be his breakout year, and with the injury to Malcolm Mitchell he will have his chances, He has 5 Recs 112 Yards 1 TD against LSU. I'm not impressed from a technical standpoint but that's just my personal opinion.

This has been a great game. Physical in every area of the field. Elite QBs making tight throws. Elite RBs pounding the rock. Pure SEC football.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

He's a junior that has failed to produce up to his physical potential in his first 2 years. UGA has declared this will be his breakout year, and with the injury to Malcolm Mitchell he will have his chances, He has 5 Recs 112 Yards 1 TD against LSU. I'm not impressed from a technical standpoint but that's just my personal opinion.

This has been a great game. Physical in every area of the field. Elite QBs making tight throws. Elite RBs pounding the rock. Pure SEC football.

I dont know much dont watch much college ball at all but i do know LSU is a bigg power house N conley was looking good againt them...
Devante Parker will be a late round steal. Junior probably coming out because bridgewater is leaving louisville. 6-3 205, not sure about 40 time, plays fast, fights for the ball.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Oregon State junior WR Brandin Cooks caught nine passes for 168 yards and two touchdowns in a 44-17 win over Colorado.

We keep saying it, but Cooks is the most overlooked stud receiver in college football. Obvious Markus Wheaton drew a lot of attention form evaluators last season, but Cooks is just as good of a route runner with explosion to separate. His concentration on difficult catches is impressive. Cooks added 47 rushing yards.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/27125/oregon-st-wr-cooks-posts-91682-tds-line

By count Cooks has 52 receptions for 807 yards and 8 scores in five games.

He must have some skills.
After watching the LSU Georgia game, i gotta say I wouldn't mind me some Jarvis Landry, especially if crabs leaves. Beckham Jr. looked solid too, too bad he had that muffed punt. Scott-Wesley from Gerogia is nice too
Originally posted by fister30:
Devante Parker will be a late round steal. Junior probably coming out because bridgewater is leaving louisville. 6-3 205, not sure about 40 time, plays fast, fights for the ball.

I don't know about late round, I see him as an early to mid 4th rounder with a lot of potential to move up the boards in a hurry. He's got solid size, very good athletically, decent quickness, a nice vertical threat, wouldn't be shocked to see him wind up as a 2nd round pick.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM ]
Originally posted by ivanm05:
After watching the LSU Georgia game, i gotta say I wouldn't mind me some Jarvis Landry, especially if crabs leaves. Beckham Jr. looked solid too, too bad he had that muffed punt. Scott-Wesley from Gerogia is nice too

I have been watching Landry and Beckham closely this year. They both can take the top off a defense.

• buck
  • Veteran
Marqise Lee hurt in loss

http://espWR Marqise Lee hurt in lossn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/9742457/marqise-lee-usc-trojans-leaves-game-apparent-knee-in

I have no idea how serious the injury is, but this injury does highlight the potential problems of ranking player before the end of the season.

Was going to post this last week on Kolohe's Beau Allen Badgers DL thread but never got to it. Keep an eye out for Jared Abbrederis. If he goes to the right team he could be the next great white slot WR. Not a big fan of many Badgers players and I have explained that in the past. Most of the time they are working with average to slightly above average talent and then they coach them up (like Bo Ryan does with the Basketball team) and make them consistently one of the top 25 teams. For many years top 5-15. Anyways, they get to the NFL and they just don't have the talent the other players do. They really do a great job with what they have. Haven't liked many Badgers WR's in the past including Brandon Williams who we took but Abbrederis could be a great slot WR for the right team. I think he's been our best WR since Lee Evans and Chris Chambers. Wasn't a Williams fan like I said; didn't think Nick Toon would do much in the NFL either. Same with QB's... I liked Wilson who was our best QB in the past 20 years. Bollinger, Tolzien and a few others were ok but Bollinger was the best besides Wilson and figured he wouldn't be nothing more than a backup. We get crap for QB's... WR's usually too... team wins with OL and RBs.

Also, I know it's a WR thread but while I'm talking Badgers another guy I like is Melvin Gordon. I seen this comparison on another board and I was actually thinking it before I seen it. Guy looks like and runs some what like Jamal Charles. Not saying he will have that type of career in the NFL but he could be as high as a round 2 pick down the road. He's explosive, elusive... probably the most physically talented RB for the Badgers in a long time. A lot of those other guys were system backs. I think a lot of them like PJ Hill, John Clay, Ron Dayne just ran over people in college and were to out of shape to play in the NFL. Anthony Davis wasn't big on, Calhoun had some talent but didn't expect much out of him in the NFL.

Almost forgot... the other guy I like on the Badgers is Chris Borland. He is undersized but he is just a football player as Harbaugh would say. Could come in immediately and contribute at ILB. At worst should be a great ST players who gives you everything he has. He has great instincts and will to win.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 29, 2013 at 7:23 AM ]
If I had my way I'm taking a CB or SS in round 1 then Im taking

Donte Moncreif (6'3, 225) in round 2 with KC's pick and Jared Abbrederis with our own 2nd round pick. We need to restock our WR depth and these guys are great talents.

Moncrief's stock has dropped slightly but here is what Kiper has to say of him:

ESPN's Mel Kiper dropped Ole Miss junior WR Donte Moncrief from the No. 9 prospect overall to No. 19 following his week one performance against Vanderbilt.
Moncrief only managed five receptions for 56 yards against Vandy, but we think it is a bit early to drastically change rankings. "He was really frustrated in the game against Vandy, but credit the Commodores and Andre Hal," Kiper writes. "Moncrief has the look of a down-the-field threat who can use his size and good feel and body position to beat defenders for the ball, but he can also really chop his feet, cut and make people miss underneath. Hits his stride quickly for such a big player." The Rebel is now the No. 3 receiver on Kiper's big board.

And Rotoworlds write up about Abbrederis following him destroying an NFL calibre CB in Bradley Roby.

Wisconsin senior WR Jared Abbrederis caught 10 passes for 207 yards and a touchdown in a 31-24 loss to Ohio State.
Abbrederis was easily Wisconsin's top player, and his matchup against junior corner Bradley Roby made it even more impressive. Roby was grabbing, pulling, and attempting to slow down Abbrederis all night, but the Badger receiver showed excellent agility and route running skill to separate. He made grabs in contested situations as well.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah if we did take him it would be for WR because would be crazy to draft a TE early in this draft with Davis, McDonald, Celek/Harper. At best would be someone in round 4-7 to compete with Celek/Harper? but really I don't see us drafting one at all. I hope we double dip early on WR especially if Boldin/Manningham aren't back. Maybe one big possession guy and 1 legit speed deep threat. A lot depends on how Baldwin does as well.

Agreed on drafting 2 wrs. We cant guarentee crab wont want big moneg and the team needs a contingency plan.
Personally i would d prefer 2 burners. That way we have options outside and in the slot. Rio is good but I think this draft and it's abundance in early picks could reinforce WR for years to come.

I like Abbrederis but most of his big plays come from defense folding on the PA. Im going to reserve my judgement until I watch a full game. I have ohio st vs Wisc recorded so Ill be scouting him.

I could be wrong but I dont think moncrief is what we need. He seems clunky and slow. He was aginst LSU and Bama at least. I feel like we would be drafting a version of Baldwin and that seems counter productive.

Finally I don't think Evans shouldn't be viewed as a TE option. Clearly he wouldnt be what we needed under those circumstances. He exhibits speed on the deep corner and has shown top end speed. Ive watched him 3 times and i think he coukd make the transistion to NFL WR but it would take some time. The team he goes to will need patience so ultimately this may not be the right place. Someones going to make him into a beast though if he has the will to be driven.

I accidently posted this in the Evans thread. Sorry for clogging.things up.

Do you like anything about the 49ers?
Share 49ersWebzone