LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by sfout:

This is why I would be thrilled to get Jordan Matthews. May football gods smile upon us and let us land him or Mike Evans.

I want no part of Mike Evans unless its going to be at TE. The more I see him, the more stiff, awkward and unbalanced he begins to look. 49ers already have a big tall, physical stiff in Baldwin as is.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I want no part of Mike Evans unless its going to be at TE. The more I see him, the more stiff, awkward and unbalanced he begins to look. 49ers already have a big tall, physical stiff in Baldwin as is.

If by stiff, awkward, and unbalanced you're talking about the CB that has to cover him then I agree 100%.

Watch this video and then tell me how you feel.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I know many people want us to draft a big wide receiver.

Here are two tables that show the receiving stats four weeks into the college season.

The first table is for the giants. The second is for the midgets.

Here are the midgets. Comparing the stats should be interesting.

I tend to think that its is the quality of the receiver and not the size that is critical. But, to each his own.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by buck:
Speed and quickness are the bane of Seattle's CBs. Victor Cruz owned them. Steve Smith had a touchdown week one against them. They can't stop receivers that are too quick for them to get their hands on. Williams and Patton were open several times on short routes on Sunday but CK was too locked in on the deep routes or other receivers. We saw Patton get thrown to the ground by Byron Maxwell because the only way he was able to cover him was to tackle him on that play. We could have a great WR corps next year if we draft right.

I think you are on solid ground.

I do not think we be able to get Sammy Watkins, but there seems to some fast, quick receivers that will be available.

We shall see, but I'd gladly trade up to between 10-15 to get that guy. Game-breaking speed, outstanding hands catcher, and I think he's a smart player. Clear 1st round talent.

Sammy Watkins or Marquise Lee. I think they will both be special and I would do what it takes to move up and get one.
Right now I would package whatever we have to in the draft for a playmaker like Sammy Watkins from Clemson. We have enough ammo to go up as far as we need too, to get a speed playmaker in this offense!
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

If by stiff, awkward, and unbalanced you're talking about the CB that has to cover him then I agree 100%.

Watch this video and then tell me how you feel.

Evans is a long-strider, who is sneaky quick. Very good receiver. I see him as a little better version of Alshon Jeffery. He won't run away from people in the NFL like he does in college, but he has a chance to be successful. May be a Plaxico Burress type.
Evans is a long-strider, who is sneaky quick. Very good receiver. I see him as a little better version of Alshon Jeffery. He won't run away from people in the NFL like he does in college, but he has a chance to be successful. May be a Plaxico Burress type.

He is sneaky quick and he demolishes press man. He is adjusting on the ball and using his body to shield DBs. It all comes down to perfecting his release. He has to get a good jump off the line if he wants to be good at the short and intermediate routes. He reminds me of Marques Colston. Others have mentioned TE but I'm not going to right him off like that until his 40. If he can run a 4.5 or lower than I'm sold.
[ Edited by eonblue on Sep 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM ]
What do people think of Josh Huff from Oregon?

When healthy, I think the dude's legit.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by buck:
Speed and quickness are the bane of Seattle's CBs. Victor Cruz owned them. Steve Smith had a touchdown week one against them. They can't stop receivers that are too quick for them to get their hands on. Williams and Patton were open several times on short routes on Sunday but CK was too locked in on the deep routes or other receivers. We saw Patton get thrown to the ground by Byron Maxwell because the only way he was able to cover him was to tackle him on that play. We could have a great WR corps next year if we draft right.

I think you are on solid ground.

I do not think we be able to get Sammy Watkins, but there seems to some fast, quick receivers that will be available.

We shall see, but I'd gladly trade up to between 10-15 to get that guy. Game-breaking speed, outstanding hands catcher, and I think he's a smart player. Clear 1st round talent.

Sammy Watkins or Marquise Lee. I think they will both be special and I would do what it takes to move up and get one.

Sammy Watkins is my draft crush, for sure. If we miss out, I'd love to get Jordan Matthews.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
Sammy Watkins is my draft crush, for sure. If we miss out, I'd love to get Jordan Matthews.

I think that we have a more realistic chance of getting Jordon Matthews and I would be happy to get him.

Evans, Mathews, or Moncrief would be my top targets in where I think we could be picking.

Evans is not stiff he just looks that way cause he is huge. He is deceptively quick and gets up to speed fast. he also has great hands. He torched Bama and they knew he was the biggest weapon outside of Manziels running ability.
  • buck
  • Veteran
BYU senior WR Cody Hoffman has been suspended for Friday night's game against Middle Tennessee State for a violation of team rules.

After catching 100 passes for 1,248 yards and 11 touchdowns last season, Hoffman only has 10 grabs for 171 yards in 2013. Some of that can be contributed to poor quarterback play, but Hoffman also missed the season opener. We saw some first-round buzz for the Cougar receiver this summer, but we consider him an above average talent.
Source: Joe Schad on Twitter

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/27102/byu-wr-hoffman-suspended-for-fridays-game
As I said before, it is not worth drafting a receiver unless he is a serious talent. We can't have those complimentary receivers that we have been drafting, especially if crabtree bails. I say if we want to draft a receiver, we need to make a ballsy move to trade up for Lee, Watkins, or maybe Matthews.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
As I said before, it is not worth drafting a receiver unless he is a serious talent. We can't have those complimentary receivers that we have been drafting, especially if crabtree bails. I say if we want to draft a receiver, we need to make a ballsy move to trade up for Lee, Watkins, or maybe Matthews.

I disagree. I think it foolish to think serious talent is the only way to draft WR. In fact I think the exact opposite. Some of the best value picks this draft are going to be WR's in the 2nd and 3rd, the ones that are not Watkins and Lee, and I think Baalke should capitalize on that.
This team will either pick....

~ A small weak WR who has no physicality.
~ A guy with no mental toughness.
~ A guy who just can't play at all at the NFL level and is completely overwhelmed and out classed.
~ A brittle, fragile WR who is injured all the time and can't play.

We got to have the worst WR scouting I've ever seen..... For goodness sakes let somebody other than Baalke or Harbaugh pick it. At least on WR. They are pretty good at some things. Picking WR's is not one of them.
Share 49ersWebzone