There are 294 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Sure :

2010 - Kyle Williams (nothing to brag about)
2011 - Ronald Johnson (not even in the NFL anymore)

Both were late round picks, so hard to complain too much.

Jenkins was a massive fail, at least for SF. The trade for Baldwin may prove to be a very good trade.

No way to judge Patton after 4 games.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Crabtree is always hurt. Same thing with Patton.

You are wrong about Crabtree. Crabtree is hurt this year.

Before this year, he missed one game because of injury.

He held out in his first year. He did play in 11 of 11 games when he signed. From 2010 to 2012, he played in 47 of 48 games.

Patton has been a 4 game career. Claiming he is hurt all the time, just might be jumping the gun.

• buck
  • Veteran
Here is a bit more on Brandin Cooks.

The title of best receiver in the country is up for grabs. Texas A&M's Mike Evans has made a good case, but nobody beats Oregon State's Brandin Cook so far. The junior leads the nation in catches per game (10.2), is a close second behind Colorado's Paul Richardson in yards per game (161.4) and leads with nine TD catches.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/college/article/Silly-season-arrives-early-at-USC-and-UConn-4858621.php#page-2
We got enough picks to land one or two recievers in this deep class. I'd be happy with a lot of these guys tbh
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This team will either pick....

~ A small weak WR who has no physicality.
~ A guy with no mental toughness.
~ A guy who just can't play at all at the NFL level and is completely overwhelmed and out classed.
~ A brittle, fragile WR who is injured all the time and can't play.

We got to have the worst WR scouting I've ever seen..... For goodness sakes let somebody other than Baalke or Harbaugh pick it. At least on WR. They are pretty good at some things. Picking WR's is not one of them.

Do you like anything about the 49ers?

I don't like when they mess stuff up over and over and over at the same position. And neither should you.

This regime in my eyes hasn't messed up as much as people believe at the receiver position. They are treating Baalke as if he's responsible for all of the poor receivers sine T.O. He had a pretty good draft in 2010. He had a great draft in 2011. 2012 IMO was the only year where he truly had the opportunity to get a legit receiver in the draft and messed up. I don't count 6th round picks as trying to address the receiver position either. If they pan out, great, but if not, no big deal. They are 6th round picks for a reason. With that said, they messed up big time in 2012 by passing on better talent in the first and second rounds. To Baalke's credit, he did sign Mario Manningham who was a good signing. He traded for Anquan Boldin for a sixth. If our guys were healthy, I think we'd have a damn good group of receivers. It's just that injuries decimated the entire thing.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I don't like when they mess stuff up over and over and over at the same position. And neither should you.

They busted on the Jenkins pick. Way too soon to judge Patton and have we picked anyone else?

Sure :

2010 - Kyle Williams (nothing to brag about)
2011 - Ronald Johnson (not even in the NFL anymore)

Crabtree is always hurt. Same thing with Patton.

This is why I asked do you even like the Niners. How many games has Crabtree missed as a result of injury before this season? He's had some issues during the summer, but he pretty much has suited up every time he could since he began playing. Patton just got here. It's only been four games. How can you just say he's always hurt? He hasn't been here long enough to even establish a trend.

Then to the above poster, both Kyle Williams and Ronald Johnson were sixth round picks. If we started judging GMs based on picks that low, they would all look bad.
Of that list I like Brandon Coleman and Mike Evans. We got enough slot, sub-200lb WR's who can't win at the LOS.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Of that list I like Brandon Coleman and Mike Evans. We got enough slot, sub-200lb WR's who can't win at the LOS.

That's why you draft someone who can win at the LOS.

Someone who can step right in for Williams and Moore and produce.

A big receiver would be a good target for Kaep, but I think we see how Baldwin pans out. That spot is his to lose.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 1, 2013 at 10:09 AM ]
It would be so nice to have a legit deep threat for once and not just used as a decoy either (see Moss, Randy and Ginn, Teddy). When's the last time we could say we had that? It would really open up our offense.

I really think we need to double up on WR and CB in next's years draft. I expect us to supplement those positions (as well as safety) in FA as well but we really could use some fresh blood at those positions.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I don't know. I'll have to wait to see what kind of combine numbers these guys put up, but they seem to have Mike Williams (USC version) written all over them.

we need to go top heavy in this draft at receiver and DB positions. this draft should be a fan friendly one since weve drafted big uglies the last few years
  • buck
  • Veteran
Draft Prospect Notes: Week 5

Wisconsin senior WR Jared Abbrederis

I'd wager many who previewed this contest likely predicted Ohio State redshirt junior CB Bradley Roby would get the better of Abbrederis. They, including myself, could not have been more wrong. Abbrederis consistently lined up on the outside in single coverage against the highly touted corner. The senior used free releases to his advantage, running straight at Roby and breaking his route off once the corner abandoned his back pedal. Some might suggest Abbrederis was given too much cushion, but I believe he created it with fluid movements and precision. Separation is one skill that seems to transcend every level of football, but Abbrederis also made things happen with Roby draped over him, winning in contested situations. This surprised me. Roby is a physical corner, but Abbrederis showed proper timing and reliable hands in 50/50 situations.

Oregon State junior WR Brandin Cooks

Obviously former teammate Markus Wheaton became a well-known name during last year's draft process thanks for his vertical ability and fairly mature route running. As good as Wheaton was and is, I wouldn't bet against Cooks becoming the better player. The same speed to stretch defenses is there, but Cooks burst off the line with explosion and shows the same determination at the catch point in contested situations. His frame will be knocked, but Cooks is the real deal. He belongs in the tier below Clemson's Sammy Watkins.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/44601/330/draft-prospect-notes-week-5
Originally posted by buck:
Draft Prospect Notes: Week 5

Wisconsin senior WR Jared Abbrederis

I'd wager many who previewed this contest likely predicted Ohio State redshirt junior CB Bradley Roby would get the better of Abbrederis. They, including myself, could not have been more wrong. Abbrederis consistently lined up on the outside in single coverage against the highly touted corner. The senior used free releases to his advantage, running straight at Roby and breaking his route off once the corner abandoned his back pedal. Some might suggest Abbrederis was given too much cushion, but I believe he created it with fluid movements and precision. Separation is one skill that seems to transcend every level of football, but Abbrederis also made things happen with Roby draped over him, winning in contested situations. This surprised me. Roby is a physical corner, but Abbrederis showed proper timing and reliable hands in 50/50 situations.

Oregon State junior WR Brandin Cooks

Obviously former teammate Markus Wheaton became a well-known name during last year's draft process thanks for his vertical ability and fairly mature route running. As good as Wheaton was and is, I wouldn't bet against Cooks becoming the better player. The same speed to stretch defenses is there, but Cooks burst off the line with explosion and shows the same determination at the catch point in contested situations. His frame will be knocked, but Cooks is the real deal. He belongs in the tier below Clemson's Sammy Watkins.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/44601/330/draft-prospect-notes-week-5

Abbrederis looked good to me as well.
https://twitter.com/CamInman
@CamInman
5 Oct #49ers, meet Clemson WR Sammy Watkins

Would be elated if the 49ers drafted Sammy Watkins.

I have Watkins ranked as the best WR in the 2014 draft.

Because of his ability and skillset to make plays like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BnbLIC5yyM
[ Edited by 49ersMVP on Oct 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Allen Robinson set to graduate early in summer

By Anna Orso | Collegian staff writer collegian.psu.edu

For Penn State star receiver Allen Robinson, the NFL isn't on his mind. At least not yet.

The junior is a projected second-round draft pick according to NFLDraftScout.com and said on a teleconference today that while he's expected to graduate early from Penn State this summer, declaring early for the NFL draft is "something I'm not even thinking about."

Robinson's been a standout player since his breakout season in 2012. Against Indiana last week, he grabbed 12 passes for 173 yards and accounted for more than half of quarterback Christian Hackenberg's overall passing yardage.

This season, the wideout leads the Big Ten conference in receiving yards (average 124.4 per game) and receptions (7.6 per game.) Nationally, Robinson ranks seventh in the nation in receiving yards.

In 2012, Robinson burst onto the scene, recording 77 receptions for 1,018 yards and 11 touchdowns. NFLDraftScout.com ranks Robinson as the fourth best wide receiver in the 2015 class out of 407 and No. 44 overall.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/football/article_d7c1623a-30fa-11e3-9cce-001a4bcf6878.html

Still a long way to go before the draft, but I could see us using a early pick on Robinson or Matthews in the upcoming draft.
Share 49ersWebzone