LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 160 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
This team will either pick....

~ A small weak WR who has no physicality.
~ A guy with no mental toughness.
~ A guy who just can't play at all at the NFL level and is completely overwhelmed and out classed.
~ A brittle, fragile WR who is injured all the time and can't play.

We got to have the worst WR scouting I've ever seen..... For goodness sakes let somebody other than Baalke or Harbaugh pick it. At least on WR. They are pretty good at some things. Picking WR's is not one of them.

Do you like anything about the 49ers?

I don't like when they mess stuff up over and over and over at the same position. And neither should you.
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah if we did take him it would be for WR because would be crazy to draft a TE early in this draft with Davis, McDonald, Celek/Harper. At best would be someone in round 4-7 to compete with Celek/Harper? but really I don't see us drafting one at all. I hope we double dip early on WR especially if Boldin/Manningham aren't back. Maybe one big possession guy and 1 legit speed deep threat. A lot depends on how Baldwin does as well.

Agreed on drafting 2 wrs. We cant guarentee crab wont want big moneg and the team needs a contingency plan.
Personally i would d prefer 2 burners. That way we have options outside and in the slot. Rio is good but I think this draft and it's abundance in early picks could reinforce WR for years to come.

I like Abbrederis but most of his big plays come from defense folding on the PA. Im going to reserve my judgement until I watch a full game. I have ohio st vs Wisc recorded so Ill be scouting him.

I could be wrong but I dont think moncrief is what we need. He seems clunky and slow. He was aginst LSU and Bama at least. I feel like we would be drafting a version of Baldwin and that seems counter productive.

Finally I don't think Evans shouldn't be viewed as a TE option. Clearly he wouldnt be what we needed under those circumstances. He exhibits speed on the deep corner and has shown top end speed. Ive watched him 3 times and i think he coukd make the transistion to NFL WR but it would take some time. The team he goes to will need patience so ultimately this may not be the right place. Someones going to make him into a beast though if he has the will to be driven.

I accidently posted this in the Evans thread. Sorry for clogging.things up.

I agree with this. We already have a big guy that we are devleoping in Jon Baldwin. We have Crabtree for at least one more season. I think it's a strong possibility that we could extend Boldin for 2 more seasons if the price is right. We need some speed at the receiver position, especially to counter Seattle. I stated earlier that I'd like a fast/quick guy that can also return kicks. Reason being is because I would like for the player to actually be used in 2014. I doubt any receivers we draft in 2014 will get much playing time with Crabtree, Patton, Baldwin, and possibly Boldin and Manningham in front of them.
I wanted woods and he looks good. and lee is so much better. we need him!
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I agree with this. We already have a big guy that we are devleoping in Jon Baldwin. We have Crabtree for at least one more season. I think it's a strong possibility that we could extend Boldin for 2 more seasons if the price is right. We need some speed at the receiver position, especially to counter Seattle. I stated earlier that I'd like a fast/quick guy that can also return kicks. Reason being is because I would like for the player to actually be used in 2014. I doubt any receivers we draft in 2014 will get much playing time with Crabtree, Patton, Baldwin, and possibly Boldin and Manningham in front of them.

I agree. The offense need speed and whoever they pick could also fill in at PR/KR. Ive been really intrigued by LSUs Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham Jr, Oregons Josh Huff, Sammy Watkins of Clemson(obv), and Jason Abbrederis of Wisconsin. This is a great draft to address WR too. You're going to get great value out 3-5 rd picks. m trading up for a really good WR, or just getting a solid prospect at a good position because the draft is WR heavy. Personally I would spend the first 2 picks of this draft on DBs that could possibly start(like Reid this year). You aggressively target a CB and S then you collect the best WRs available before you enter the 4th round. I just hope they dont get cute and pick another nobody. I would put high value on production, durability, and measurables.
[ Edited by eonblue on Sep 29, 2013 at 9:29 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Marqise Lee hurt in loss

http://espWR Marqise Lee hurt in lossn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/9742457/marqise-lee-usc-trojans-leaves-game-apparent-knee-in

I have no idea how serious the injury is, but this injury does highlight the potential problems of ranking player before the end of the season.

Any word yet on how badly he's hurt? I'm fearing it maybe an ACL.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:36 AM ]
Just draft 2 guys.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Just draft 2 guys.

This !!
I don't like when they mess stuff up over and over and over at the same position. And neither should you.

They busted on the Jenkins pick. Way too soon to judge Patton and have we picked anyone else?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

They busted on the Jenkins pick. Way too soon to judge Patton and have we picked anyone else?

Sure :

2010 - Kyle Williams (nothing to brag about)
2011 - Ronald Johnson (not even in the NFL anymore)
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Marqise Lee hurt in loss

http://espWR Marqise Lee hurt in lossn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/9742457/marqise-lee-usc-trojans-leaves-game-apparent-knee-in

I have no idea how serious the injury is, but this injury does highlight the potential problems of ranking player before the end of the season.

I checked this morning, but no definite news. I do think it is serious.

Originally posted by mayo49:
I checked this morning, but no definite news. I do think it is serious.

I checked this morning as well, but like you said nothing definitive.

He's a track and field athlete on top of college WR. I know one doesn't lead to the other but I think it's safe to say that he's physically capable of rebounding from a knee injury the same way AP and Griffin.

He appears to be the same calibre biologically speaking.

I don't think this hurts his top 15 status.

In my mind it means Watkins just locked up the boards #1 WR spot.

What do you think
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
I checked this morning as well, but like you said nothing definitive.

He's a track and field athlete on top of college WR. I know one doesn't lead to the other but I think it's safe to say that he's physically capable of rebounding from a knee injury the same way AP and Griffin.

He appears to be the same calibre biologically speaking.

I don't think this hurts his top 15 status.

In my mind it means Watkins just locked up the boards #1 WR spot.

What do you think

We have to see how bad the injury is, but it does seem that Watkins will be the first receiver off the board.

This draft looks deep in wide receivers and there are some small school guys that are looking good.

So much time, so much speculation.

Our draft is going to be impacted by what Baldwin and Patton do in the remaining 12 games, and it does not help that Patton broke his foot.

an update (?) on Lee.

USC junior WR Marqise Lee believes he could return following the school's bye week after suffering a severe knee sprain.

The Trojans are off this week following their significant loss to Arizona State, which led to the firing of head coach Lane Kiffin. Lee and Kiffin appeared to be on different pages the last few weeks, but hopefully the junior receiver is capable to suit up against Arizona on October 10. He's had a rough start to the season thanks to drops and poor quarterback play.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/130942/marqise-lee/1
[ Edited by buck on Sep 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here are 18 small school wide receivers that bear watching and their current numbers.

[ Edited by buck on Sep 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Sure :

2010 - Kyle Williams (nothing to brag about)
2011 - Ronald Johnson (not even in the NFL anymore)

Crabtree is always hurt. Same thing with Patton.
Crabtree is always hurt. Same thing with Patton.

Why don't you make a thread in Niner Talk, man?

You've been bashing the FO for 3 pages, and haven't contributed one thought to the 2014 WR class.

I understand your frustration, but it's counterproductive.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone