There are 223 users in the forums

Wide Receiver Class of 2014

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I actually don't think we go after a wide receiver that high unless they have some explosive ability in the return game. If we can extend Boldin, we will be pretty solid for 2014 with Q, a healthy Michael Crabtree (final year of his contract), Quinton Patton, and Johnathan Baldwin. It's still a possibility, but not an absolute necessity anymore. Especially with Vernon Davis being lined up at receiver more. I'm just hoping that Baldwin can turn into the big receiver some have been looking for.
???

If Baldwin can turn in a redzone-target, I will forget about my wish
  • buck
  • Veteran
After three games, Brandon Coleman has 13 receptions for 150 yards and 2 scores.

But, in the last game Rutgers only threw the ball 13 times and completed 8. Coleman had 1 reception in the game for 15 yards.

Gary Nova, the Rutgers starting quarterback, was hurt and left the game. He was 4 for 4 before the injury. His replacement went 4 for 9.

This paucity of passing might affect Coleman's draft status.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 14, 2013 at 2:36 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
I actually don't think we go after a wide receiver that high unless they have some explosive ability in the return game. If we can extend Boldin, we will be pretty solid for 2014 with Q, a healthy Michael Crabtree (final year of his contract), Quinton Patton, and Johnathan Baldwin. It's still a possibility, but not an absolute necessity anymore. Especially with Vernon Davis being lined up at receiver more. I'm just hoping that Baldwin can turn into the big receiver some have been looking for.

I differ. If we can extend Boldin and Crabtree comes back healthy, it would be a perfect time to spend a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick on a wide a receiver.
Mike Evans looked beastly today. I don't know if he's going to translate to the NFL. He has the size to exploit corners one on one but his speed is the main issue. He doesn't have to be a blazer but he has to be a good route runner. If he isn't then he will just get blanketed, and driven off the ball.I think it's going to come down to his 40. Does anybody know what hes clocking?
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Here are the receiving leaders from FBS, FCS, and D2 schools.

It is ordered by receiving yards per game. I only included wide receivers who had more than 100 yards per game.

I hope I did not miss anybody,
[ Edited by buck on Sep 15, 2013 at 12:07 AM ]

I differ. If we can extend Boldin and Crabtree comes back healthy, it would be a perfect time to spend a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round pick on a wide a receiver.
Depends. I don't think this is a bad idea since we will probably be losing Crabtree and Anquan Boldin isn't a longterm solution. When I said I don't think we go that high, I should've said a first round pick. We have got to get a corner. I'm not against drafting a receiver in the first, but it depends on their skillset. Whoever it is likely wouldn't play much (Crabtree, Patton, and Baldwin start off in front of you, and we could possibly extend Boldin), so unless they can contribute on special teams by being a returner, why spend the first in 2014?

I think we go defense. Corner, safety, even defensive end. The way things are looking with our picks however, we can easily address all three positions considering we will have 5-6 picks in the first to third rounds.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Depends. I don't think this is a bad idea since we will probably be losing Crabtree and Anquan Boldin isn't a longterm solution. When I said I don't think we go that high, I should've said a first round pick. We have got to get a corner. I'm not against drafting a receiver in the first, but it depends on their skillset. Whoever it is likely wouldn't play much (Crabtree, Patton, and Baldwin start off in front of you, and we could possibly extend Boldin), so unless they can contribute on special teams by being a returner, why spend the first in 2014?

I think we go defense. Corner, safety, even defensive end. The way things are looking with our picks however, we can easily address all three positions considering we will have 5-6 picks in the first to third rounds.

I think we agree. I would like to see us draft the best player available in the first and that could be a cornerback, a safety, or a wide receiver.
I say do whatever it takes to get Sammy Watkins. Mike Evans is only a sophomore, so he won't be draft eligible.
Im all about a bigg strong WR so im liking Brandon Coleman , Cody Hoffman N Austin Hill in that order..I believer we go CB 1st round N a WR in tha 2nd or early 3rd round...with a few 3rd round picks id like us to look in to a O-line guy also N another CB ...

• buck
  • Veteran

Originally posted by shaneblonien:
I say do whatever it takes to get Sammy Watkins. Mike Evans is only a sophomore, so he won't be draft eligible.

Mike Evans will be draft eligible for the next draft.

He is a redshirt sophomore, so he is three years removed from high school and therefore eligible for the draft.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM ]
WR has to be the #1 priority. I think target someone and trade up.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
WR has to be the #1 priority. I think target someone and trade up.

I think that as it stands right now it is pretty clear that wide receiver has to be one of the top priorities along with cornerback and strong safety.

We have 14 more games to play, so determining and ranking our needs seems premature.
Maybe, we will discover that both Patton and Baldwin are pretty good. Maybe Donte Whitner has another pro bowl year. Maybe one of the corner backs step up.

We still have a lot of football to play.

Before the draft, we should be able to meet some of our needs in free agency.

Additionally, we need to look at what happens in the rest of the college season.

Some players that are ranked very high right now will fall. New faces will emerge. Both happen every year.

We have enough picks to move up at various places within the draft. At this point, it is a little early to know if, when, or where we should trade up.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM ]

He is a redshirt sophomore, so he is three years removed from high school and therefore eligible for the draft.

I missed the redshirt part. You win
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by shaneblonien:

I missed the redshirt part. You win

Pay up.
Share 49ersWebzone