LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 197 users in the forums

Tavon Austin vs Cordarelle Patterson

Tavon Austin vs Cordarelle Patterson

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I voted "someone else" we need defense!!!

We still have 13 picks. Drafting Austin does not preclude us from making improvements in our defense.

Perhaps, the best choice is Austin and Some Else

Nah I rather get the best defender with the 1st pick. Sure Austin is explosive and makes some nice Youtube highlights, but I feel with the trade duo of Boldin and Crabtree we don't need another receiver in the 1st. Lets not forget we still have AJ Jenkins waiting in the wings, it wouldn't make sense to take more time away from him. Best available Safety or CB IMO, or if Jesse Williams is there too.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
We have not heard what type of player he likes but Austin is coming for a pre-draft visit for a reason. As far as his height it shouldn't be a concern plenty of WRS that have been successful in offenses like the pistol a dynamic playmaker of his ability does not come often.
I voted "someone else" we need defense!!!

We still have 13 picks. Drafting Austin does not preclude us from making improvements in our defense.

Perhaps, the best choice is Austin and Some Else

Nah I rather get the best defender with the 1st pick. Sure Austin is explosive and makes some nice Youtube highlights, but I feel with the trade duo of Boldin and Crabtree we don't need another receiver in the 1st. Lets not forget we still have AJ Jenkins waiting in the wings, it wouldn't make sense to take more time away from him. Best available Safety or CB IMO, or if Jesse Williams is there too.

I agree defense is our priority this yr
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Just had another thought. Austin and Patterson are really just too far out of reach. If the 9ers don't wish to draft a WR that high, one possible solution is to draft a TE in the 2nd which can also fill the void left by Delanie. On that front, I don't think you can go wrong with either Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz. Both can take the top of DBs.
Im sold on Austin but dont think we will get him. I hope we can grab Eifert tho.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

WVU speedster Tavon Austin's calendar is filling up. He's visiting the #49ers today. He's scheduled for #Bengals, #Browns, & #Rams next week
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

WVU speedster Tavon Austin's calendar is filling up. He's visiting the #49ers today. He's scheduled for #Bengals, #Browns, & #Rams next week

Any idea where Cordarrelle Patterson and Justin Hunter will be visiting ?
Originally posted by kent:
I would not be surprised if Austin goes a lot later than projected in mock drafts. I went back 5 years of drafts and did not find anyone drafted in round one under 180 pounds. It is also pretty clear from the contracts handed out in the off-season that slot receivers are not valued as much as guys on the outside.

Yeah, I think hes going to be around a lot later than everyone is projecting with all of the good linemen in this years draft and over half the league not being able to keep their QBs upright. Teams are going to be juicing up their offensive line because they know if they want to win a Super Bowl they're going to have to survive Aldon Smith.
LOL Phoenix49ers U took the words out of my mouth!!!!! I was just about to post the same argument. Take Da'rick Rogers and Tavon Austin and we would be unstoppable for years to come!!!!! Great post bro!!!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:
Just had another thought. Austin and Patterson are really just too far out of reach. If the 9ers don't wish to draft a WR that high, one possible solution is to draft a TE in the 2nd which can also fill the void left by Delanie. On that front, I don't think you can go wrong with either Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz. Both can take the top of DBs.

Two weeks to go and Tavon Austin is the talk of the town; might be a top ten pick; this makes me sad.

Patterson is falling and questions about his work effort are surfacing. I think he ends up with the Rams.

We do need an upgrade replacement for D. Walker. It might be hard to pass on Eifert or Ertz if they are on the board.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Just have a random felling they may not pan out in the NFL. How many explosive Wideouts have come out of college only to disappoint. Austin was a stud in college but he's small. How many little guys have come out of college and made an impact within the last 4 yrs? Only 1 that I can think of. Harvin.

I think K. Allen out of Cal could be the sleeper WR. He's probably the most polished route runner and is a big body target

Desean Jackson, Steve Smith, Santana Moss and I would categorize Bush in there too. I know those are outside your 4 year window, but imo Austin could be a once in a generation type talent. He is a complete package and presents an array of challenges to any defense.
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Apr 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM ]

I like both of these guys, and hope we draft one of them but it doesn't look like we will. Last year,they brought in aj jenkins...they haven't even looked at patterson, or hunter. Instead, they are looking at small college prospects...

I highly doubt we get a good wide reciever from this class this year...would be awesome...but doesn't look like its in the cards...or picks
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
I like both of these guys, and hope we draft one of them but it doesn't look like we will. Last year,they brought in aj jenkins...they haven't even looked at patterson, or hunter. Instead, they are looking at small college prospects...

I highly doubt we get a good wide reciever from this class this year...would be awesome...but doesn't look like its in the cards...or picks

I know, I have been really disappointed that there has been no news of any visits from any of the Tennessee wideouts. If you look at that visit list, it is pretty small and limited. Tavon Austin has visited though even though I rather have Cordarrelle Patterson (dreaming), but at least Justin Hunter.
i seriously doubt the niners will pick up any WR as the first pick as it'll readily be an admission of wasting a first round pick on AJ Jenkins
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Two weeks to go and Tavon Austin is the talk of the town; might be a top ten pick; this makes me sad.

Patterson is falling and questions about his work effort are surfacing. I think he ends up with the Rams.

We do need an upgrade replacement for D. Walker. It might be hard to pass on Eifert or Ertz if they are on the board.

You are absolutely right, I am 99% sure the Rams will be picking a big time WR, be it Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson. There are now also news that Vikings might trade up for a receiver as well. But, back to NFC West, you have either an Austin or Patterson playing for the Rams, Percy Harvin for the Seahawks and a better Fitz with the Carson Palmer partnership, this really is no joke. We need to think hard about this, if we don't arm ourselves accordingly, I think it will be very hard for us to come out on top of the division again.
  • buck
  • Veteran
You are absolutely right, I am 99% sure the Rams will be picking a big time WR, be it Tavon Austin or Cordarrelle Patterson. There are now also news that Vikings might trade up for a receiver as well. But, back to NFC West, you have either an Austin or Patterson playing for the Rams, Percy Harvin for the Seahawks and a better Fitz with the Carson Palmer partnership, this really is no joke. We need to think hard about this, if we don't arm ourselves accordingly, I think it will be very hard for us to come out on top of the division again.

Hey we do agree on somethings.

We have both offensive and defensive needs. We have five picks in the first three rounds.

We have enough picks to meet those needs.

My choices are Sly Williams at DE, Ertz at TE, Phillip Thomas at FS, Quinton Patton at WR, and Brandon Williams at NT.
Share 49ersWebzone