LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

How many quarterbacks get picked in the first round?

How many quarterbacks get picked in the first round?

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
3 or 4. Depends if someone gets suckered into drafting Barkley. I see Smith, Nassib and Manuel. In fact, Manuel's invite to the draft may mean that there is a strong chance he goes in the first 32.

I think Barkley's absolute worst case scenario is Jimmy Clausen. In other words, he is more than likely to go in the 1st round, in my opinion. Young, good size and arm strength. Played in a pro-style offense. Pretty much a recipe to be a highly drafted QB.
I've said what buck said for sometime now. 3 or 4 Qbs that are legitimate 2nd or 3rd rounders are going to go in first because 4 or 5 teams are going to make the mistake of taking a Qb when BPA they should have taken a legit first rounder. As buck says, the more the merrier, because BPA 4 qBs drafted in rd 1 makes our 31st pick actually 27th pick BPA...and BPA for us is going to be right in our wheel house of CB, S, DL, OT. We are going to get some really fine talent BPA, which matches our needs perfectly. With loser teams drafting qbs because they "have to " have a Qb, that just makes our picks 4 players better than we would have had if QB-less teams go whole hog and draft a Qb in rd one that has round 2 or 3 written all over him.
How many will be drafted in the first? I bet 3.

How many should be drafted in the first? None.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm gonna LMFAO if Arizona picks Mike Glennon in the 1st. Don't get me wrong I like Mike Glennon but I don't think hes worth a 1st round pick.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm gonna LMFAO if Arizona picks Mike Glennon in the 1st. Don't get me wrong I like Mike Glennon but I don't think hes worth a 1st round pick.

I can already see Arizona's end-game. Sign Carson Palmer, draft Glennon in the 2nd, dump Hoyer, have an open competition between Stanton, Palmer and Glennon in the preseason.
I'm gonna say two get taken in the 1st round. Geno Smith goes off the board first, and somebody trades up into the 1st round to get the QB they covet. Somebody gets a steal with Nassib in the 2nd round.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Mar 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM ]
Consensus here is 2, maybe 3 and possibly 4. Hard to believe that available qbs in draft are so 2nd or 3rd rd appearing. Whatever, as noted above, every Qb chosen just makes our BPA (CB, S, DL, OT, TE/WR) 31st pick drop to equivalent of 27th BPA in best case scenario, to 29th if just two Qbs go in first. Yeah, those guys all have a huge need, and are going to be forced by their local fanbase to do the wrong thing and nail down a "Franchise QB" early...only problem is there aren't any. It will be fun to see who screws up the worst, and i do think there will be a run on QBs in rd 1, by teams who SHOULD have taken that OT or DE or CB or S, as BPA. Funny thing, all those BPAs fit our needs to a tee. True we took a flyer on a hi 2nd rd Qb last yr , but he is in another solar system than the inept group of Qbs coming out this yr.

Plus, I look for baalke to either package 6 draft picks to move our top 5 picks into top 50 picks vs go for broke, and get a top 15 pick and a top 25 pick, with a 3rd pick at position #40. Now that would be one heckuva a job with virtually 3 guaranteed starters this yr. But he may also do just as well...maybe better...moving our top 5 picks into the top 50-60 picks. He has probably 6 picks to work with as 3 are comp picks and are not tradeable. Wonder what he will do? One thing for sure: he will not sit still and wait for all 14 picks to come to him.
I just finished my final ranking of QBs and wow, never realized how bad the depth is in this years QB draft class. Could encourage teams to take the few quality QB prospects earlier
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
3 or 4. Depends if someone gets suckered into drafting Barkley. I see Smith, Nassib and Manuel. In fact, Manuel's invite to the draft may mean that there is a strong chance he goes in the first 32.

Exactly what I was thinking:

Smith - 3rd
Nassib - 8th
Manuel - about 24th
Barkley - will someone trade next years first to move into the bottom of this years draft?
Share 49ersWebzone