LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

2011 WZ Draft- Official Picks - mayo49 (PIT) OTC

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
I honestly think anything can and will happen in this years draft.

I can see us, although I would hate it, take Locker at 7.

You honestly can tell me that Minnesota passes on Cam?

This draft is a FAIL....

im tellling you now, Cam, Gabbert and the rest are not worthy of a top 15 pick. SOrry just arent, not with better players at other positions of need availabe.

Especialy when I might be able to grab a QB in rd's 2-4.

You are way off your rocker man. I dont know if you want to have that WTF is he thinking about point of view....but you are getting it with how you are rating qb's
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Not a huge fan of Locker but check this out. The guy is a playmaker. If we get him, I'd think that Harbaugh could polish him up.

This clip is all I need to see, I damn sure I don't want him now. Take away his deep ball and he’s a project at best. If this guy didn't throw a bomb he didn't complete a pass. After three or four years of starting at the UW this is the best highlight film you could come up with? He looks like a broke Vince Young.

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by JD81:
I was severely torn on this pick...Don't kill me too bad. I know how everyone feels about Prince Amukamara, BUT new regimes ALWAYS go for the quarterback. Jed York has stressed the importance of this position, and even Coach Harbaugh has stated that even he knows the "quarterback of the future is not on our roster." With that being said...

With the 7th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select:

Jake Locker, Washington

Hear me out. Before this season, Locker was regarded as the BEST quarterback in college football. Had he declared LAST YEAR he could have been selected BEFORE Sam Bradford. He decided to give it another season, and due to that decision many have Locker written off.

Locker has a very quick release, good arm strength and has great feet. His mechanics are very sound. He is accurate when his receivers decide they don't want to drop his passes(LOL), and is very accurate while on the move.

With a good combine I feel he will be back in that top discussion as he was a year ago. The talent base in Washington this year wasn't there and there is no sugarcoating Locker's struggles, but as NFL-ready QBs go, Locker may be the best.

Locker has also displayed superior leadership. Coming back to school for his senior year notwithstanding, Locker played the last three games of this season with a broken rib. That tells me this is a kid who wants to play, and wants to win. Toughness is a must in the NFL, and Locker is as tough as they come in this draft.

Also, keep in mind this key element....The 49ers (and ANY NFL team for that matter) cannot sign free agents until the CBA is reached. The draft may be Harbaugh's first shot at getting a QB.

Don't listen to the doubters. Especially those quoting Steve Young. Steve Young is an amazing QB, not a QB evaluator. Jordan is the greatest basketball layer of all time, and I don't think I need to stress how much that has NOT translated into talent evaluation

hes a better qb evaluator than anyone on this board. do you know why harbaugh is good with qb's and why all of us including you would fall in love with who ever he picks. because he was a qb.

This draft is a FAIL....

im tellling you now, Cam, Gabbert and the rest are not worthy of a top 15 pick. SOrry just arent, not with better players at other positions of need availabe.

You are way off your rocker man. I dont know if you want to have that WTF is he thinking about point of view....but you are getting it with how you are rating qb's

just my opinion thats all, And i hope you didnt take it wrong way, I was trying to just say that I have no faith in any of these QBs who are supposed "1st Round QB's".

This draft is a FAIL....

just my opinion thats all, And i hope you didnt take it wrong way, I was trying to just say that I have no faith in any of these QBs who are supposed "1st Round QB's".

I know, but if one of the top 4 QBs are gonna fall to the Vikings, you better beleive they are gonna pull the trigger...because you dont have faith doesent mean that the whole draft is gonna go to crazy like it is...because its already fd up with PP7 and Locker being taken like they have.

This draft is a FAIL....

I know, but if one of the top 4 QBs are gonna fall to the Vikings, you better beleive they are gonna pull the trigger...because you dont have faith doesent mean that the whole draft is gonna go to crazy like it is...because its already fd up with PP7 and Locker being taken like they have.

If those 4 are IMO overrated, then why waste a pick on him or whoever is available. Makes no sense to me.

I have seen vikings games all yr and they need a lot and D is right a top.
Originally posted by fan49:
I was severely torn on this pick...Don't kill me too bad. I know how everyone feels about Prince Amukamara, BUT new regimes ALWAYS go for the quarterback. Jed York has stressed the importance of this position, and even Coach Harbaugh has stated that even he knows the "quarterback of the future is not on our roster." With that being said...

Jake Locker, Washington

Hear me out. Before this season, Locker was regarded as the BEST quarterback in college football. Had he declared LAST YEAR he could have been selected BEFORE Sam Bradford. He decided to give it another season, and due to that decision many have Locker written off.

Locker has a very quick release, good arm strength and has great feet. His mechanics are very sound. He is accurate when his receivers decide they don't want to drop his passes(LOL), and is very accurate while on the move.

With a good combine I feel he will be back in that top discussion as he was a year ago. The talent base in Washington this year wasn't there and there is no sugarcoating Locker's struggles, but as NFL-ready QBs go, Locker may be the best.

Locker has also displayed superior leadership. Coming back to school for his senior year notwithstanding, Locker played the last three games of this season with a broken rib. That tells me this is a kid who wants to play, and wants to win. Toughness is a must in the NFL, and Locker is as tough as they come in this draft.

Also, keep in mind this key element....The 49ers (and ANY NFL team for that matter) cannot sign free agents until the CBA is reached. The draft may be Harbaugh's first shot at getting a QB.

Don't listen to the doubters. Especially those quoting Steve Young. Steve Young is an amazing QB, not a QB evaluator. Jordan is the greatest basketball layer of all time, and I don't think I need to stress how much that has NOT translated into talent evaluation

hes a better qb evaluator than anyone on this board. do you know why harbaugh is good with qb's and why all of us including you would fall in love with who ever he picks. because he was a qb.

Not true. I don't trust that John Elway has a clue what he's doing with the Broncos. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I trust Harbaugh does because he developed Josh Johnson and won championships at San Diego and he developed Andrew Luck into one of the finer pro prospects in years. Harbaugh has a track record as a coach of developing QBs. It's a total oversimplification to say he knows QB only cause he was a QB.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by fan49:

Jake Locker, Washington

Not true. I don't trust that John Elway has a clue what he's doing with the Broncos. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I trust Harbaugh does because he developed Josh Johnson and won championships at San Diego and he developed Andrew Luck into one of the finer pro prospects in years. Harbaugh has a track record as a coach of developing QBs. It's a total oversimplification to say he knows QB only cause he was a QB.

its really easy for me to say steve was a very successful qb in the nfl. therefore he knows what it takes to be a good qb in the nfl. i would bet elway might not do a good job but he knows a good qb when he sees one.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Interesting mock. I personally don't see a CB going no.1 overall. High bust factor of CBs and I doubt there is a team that will pay 60-65 million dollars to a rookie DB.

Don't see Zona taking a WR - they have too many glaring needs.

I think a QB will get drafted before we pick. Panthers, Bills, Cincy, Zona all need a QB. And there are several teams behind us that need a QB (Vikings, Skins, Tenn) - so they may jump up as well.

The Bills have their Rich Gannon in Ryan Fitzpatrick....their D especially up front is dreadful. To take advantage of their fantastic secondary, I have to fix their front 7. So no QB yet anyways.

I understand that, but what I mean is - if they fell in love with one of the QBs, they are not going to pass him up because of Fitzpatrick. There are too many teams in front of Niners who need a QB badly, and I think at least 1 will get drafted before Niners draft.

Not saying Bills will def. go QB here, but there are too many teams (Cincy, Panthers, Zona, Niners, Tennessee, Skins, Vikings, Jaguars) who are in need of a quality QB and some of these teams will fall in love with a QB or two and will draft them.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Jan 18, 2011 at 1:01 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

This draft is a FAIL....

If those 4 are IMO overrated, then why waste a pick on him or whoever is available. Makes no sense to me.

I have seen vikings games all yr and they need a lot and D is right a top.

I won't say they are over-rated. I know where you're coming from - that there are better players available - and that may very well be true, but QB gets a priority because it is the most important position on the field.

I'm sure several teams regret passing on Rodgers, Flacco, Freeman, Roethlesberger who have gone around or after pick 15. They weren't seen as a top 10 players in the draft.

This is why I think, 3-4 QBs will go quickly on draft day, with so many teams needing a QB in top 15.

I don't get all of this hate... I really don't. You stated how you didn't like a pick or two... okay... duly noted. Why keep whining about it?

Again, none of us can pretend to know how prospects will be judged by NFL front offices. Someone says "no way the Vikes pass on Gabbert and Cam"... How the hell could you know? Maybe the interview both and a red flag pops up about their character or past?

There needs to be far more open minded people concerning the draft... Did anyone really think KC was gonna select Tyson Jackson at #3 overall? That SF or others would twice pass up DeSean Jackson? That Miami would take Ted Ginn Jr. at #9 overall? That the Jags would take Alualu at #11 overall?

Stop assuming so much. So far, there were 2 selections that raised some eye-brows... big deal.

This draft is a FAIL....

For the record, I am completely on board with AB's analysis. And so is history.

Since 2000 (11 drafts) only twice have more than 3 QBs been taken in the first round. And the most common thing is for only 2 QBs to be taken. And when 4 QBs were taken (only happened in 2003 and 2004), there were at least 2 consensus top 10 type QBs, plus a couple others who were close. Including 2004 which saw E. Manning, Rivers and Rothlisberger all taken in the top 11.

This draft has nothing close to that. There is no obvious "best" QB with Luck going back to school and ANY of the 4 "first round" QBs could easily slip to the second round or even later. Especially with a bad combine or pro day. And some of the "second rounders" could easily impress someone and have a team pull a Tebow and grab them early.

It's a very random bag at QB this year, so thinking that there are 3-4 worth taking in the top 15 is a BIG stretch.

Because there probably isn't one, (let alone 3-4), actually WORTH it, compared to the value you could get in round 2 or later.

Not saying one (or more) can't or won't be taken earlier, but in terms of value, it just isn't there this year.

And in terms of our pick, if we pass on Prince for Locker, I will personally find and destroy Baalke.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

For the record, I am completely on board with AB's analysis. And so is history.

Since 2000 (11 drafts) only twice have more than 3 QBs been taken in the first round. And the most common thing is for only 2 QBs to be taken. And when 4 QBs were taken (only happened in 2003 and 2004), there were at least 2 consensus top 10 type QBs, plus a couple others who were close. Including 2004 which saw E. Manning, Rivers and Rothlisberger all taken in the top 11.

This draft has nothing close to that. There is no obvious "best" QB with Luck going back to school and ANY of the 4 "first round" QBs could easily slip to the second round or even later. Especially with a bad combine or pro day. And some of the "second rounders" could easily impress someone and have a team pull a Tebow and grab them early.

It's a very random bag at QB this year, so thinking that there are 3-4 worth taking in the top 15 is a BIG stretch.

Because there probably isn't one, (let alone 3-4), actually WORTH it, compared to the value you could get in round 2 or later.

Not saying one (or more) can't or won't be taken earlier, but in terms of value, it just isn't there this year.

And in terms of our pick, if we pass on Prince for Locker, I will personally find and destroy Baalke.

Good post.

For those thinking that since there are so many QB-needy teams, they simply must pick a QB in the first? No... doesn't work that way.

Teams don't just pick a QB in round 1 for the sake of picking a QB. They may see QBs available, but probably grade just 1 or 2 as first round values. So if Minnesota grades only Mallett and Locker as 1st rounders, then no, they will not just take Cam or Blaine because they happen to need QB. If they have Newton and Gabbert graded out at 83, but see another need prospect at 93, they will very likely go with the much higher graded prospect.
Where is communist?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Where is communist?

Probably restricted from using the computer.
Share 49ersWebzone