LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

2011 WZ Draft- Official Picks - mayo49 (PIT) OTC

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by JD81:
I was severely torn on this pick...Don't kill me too bad. I know how everyone feels about Prince Amukamara, BUT new regimes ALWAYS go for the quarterback. Jed York has stressed the importance of this position, and even Coach Harbaugh has stated that even he knows the "quarterback of the future is not on our roster." With that being said...

With the 7th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers select:

Jake Locker, Washington

Hear me out. Before this season, Locker was regarded as the BEST quarterback in college football. Had he declared LAST YEAR he could have been selected BEFORE Sam Bradford. He decided to give it another season, and due to that decision many have Locker written off.

Locker has a very quick release, good arm strength and has great feet. His mechanics are very sound. He is accurate when his receivers decide they don't want to drop his passes(LOL), and is very accurate while on the move.

With a good combine I feel he will be back in that top discussion as he was a year ago. The talent base in Washington this year wasn't there and there is no sugarcoating Locker's struggles, but as NFL-ready QBs go, Locker may be the best.

Locker has also displayed superior leadership. Coming back to school for his senior year notwithstanding, Locker played the last three games of this season with a broken rib. That tells me this is a kid who wants to play, and wants to win. Toughness is a must in the NFL, and Locker is as tough as they come in this draft.

Also, keep in mind this key element....The 49ers (and ANY NFL team for that matter) cannot sign free agents until the CBA is reached. The draft may be Harbaugh's first shot at getting a QB.

Don't listen to the doubters. Especially those quoting Steve Young. Steve Young is an amazing QB, not a QB evaluator. Jordan is the greatest basketball layer of all time, and I don't think I need to stress how much that has NOT translated into talent evaluation

Well it doesn't take Bill Walsh (football scientist) to know Locker sucks as a passer!!!
Wow what a terrible draft so far

LMAO at Patrick Peterson #1 overall. I don't think a CB has ever been taken #1 overall in the history of the NFL draft. He is a great player but really don't see them going that way.

Don't see how Arizona could pass on a QB especially since they would have first choice on them according to this draft.

While the Browns have a desperate need at WR can't see them reaching for Jones.

Then for the Niners all I can say is Would rather have Gabbert than Locker if we must go QB.
Just have fun with this, while trying your best to make your teams better, fellas.

None of us know how this draft will shake out, and lots of values and team needs change from now till April.
Originally posted by joey82:

Then for the Niners all I can say is Would rather have Gabbert than Locker if we must go QB.

I'd rather suck my own dick than take any of those 2.
Just took a quick glance at the first 8 picks and I doubt that any player goes to the team that there are selected in here to go to.

Carolina - they will trade down or take Fairley. Has a CB ever been drafted #1 in the
history of the NFL???? It wont happen this year either.

QB's.... Locker and Mallett ahead of Gabbert?? Um.... no chance

I think the only 2 picks that make sense for the team at the spot they drafted so far are the picks for Denver (Fairley) and Cincy (Bowers).

Its all fun though... just my 2 cents so far.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Just have fun with this, while trying your best to make your teams better, fellas.

None of us know how this draft will shake out, and lots of values and team needs change from now till April.

One common thread among the complaints about Patrick Peterson...........No CB ever selected #1 because of the outrageous money for the top pick.

First of all there was one DB taken #1 overall

1956 Gary Glick DB Colorado A&M Pittsburgh Steelers

Second, if you believe a new CBA will come through, there will most likely be a rookie salary cap like the NBA has.

Peterson is a great CB AND KR. No one should be surprised if he gets taken at that spot.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
One common thread among the complaints about Patrick Peterson...........No CB ever selected #1 because of the outrageous money for the top pick.

Second, if you believe a new CBA will come through, there will most likely be a rookie salary cap like the NBA has.

Peterson is a great CB AND KR. No one should be surprised if he gets taken at that spot.

That's assuming there is a rookie salary cap, and no one knows exactly how high or how low it will be.
lol not even 10 picks in, and this thing has already gone to s**t. Terrible picks.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Gary Glick played QB in college and drafted as such. He was converted to DB. I wouldnt use him as a benchmark. The guy played for 4 teams in just 7 years and then was out of the league. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956_NFL_Draft

I dont think the reason that a CB hasnt been taken ever at #1 is because of the money. The money wasnt outrageous for the vast majority of years. I think the reason is that a QB, offensive playmaker, or dominant lineman has always been considered to make a bigger impact on the field.

Peterson is a special player but I would be shocked if he is taken ahead of Nick Fairley.

With the 9th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys select:

PRINCE AMUKAMARA, CB, NEBRASKA

The Cowboys are in desperate need of an upgrade to their defensive backfield. They can't believe that Prince Amukamara fell to their laps, especially after Patrick Peterson was taken with the number 1 pick. Jerry Jones is a happy man.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Interesting mock. I personally don't see a CB going no.1 overall. High bust factor of CBs and I doubt there is a team that will pay 60-65 million dollars to a rookie DB.

Don't see Zona taking a WR - they have too many glaring needs.

I think a QB will get drafted before we pick. Panthers, Bills, Cincy, Zona all need a QB. And there are several teams behind us that need a QB (Vikings, Skins, Tenn) - so they may jump up as well.

One of the reasons I went A.J. Green was that proven NFL QBs can be had at the right price.......V. Young, Orton, Kolb.........McNabb QBs would be lining up to join the Cards with Fitz and Green as wideouts.
[ Edited by jimrat201 on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM ]
Originally posted by ea_thegreat:
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
lol at peterson going #1.

Peterson had back to back seasons at a high level. Hes a elite prospect and Carolina needs a CB like we need a QB. Laugh all you want now but when he runs in the 4.3s hes very likely to be #1.

Carolina does not need a CB, there secondary has been very good over the last two years. They need more help at DT/DE. Plus, you can also say that about AJ Green. Elite prospect that could run in the late 4.3s and is a much bigger need for Carolina than CB.

Gamble,Munnerlyn and Marshall have been mugged in their division n out. If you lived in the Carolinas you would know that. They need a CB with elite speed,size, jumping and cover skills in the NFC South.

Green was real close to be picked same with Fairly. I just liked Peterson more than the other 2 and in 3rd n 4th rd i can fill the DT and WR needs here. It was a tough spot to pick after Luck left and Peterson is the best player in this years draft so he went #1.

Peterson had back to back seasons at a high level. Hes a elite prospect and Carolina needs a CB like we need a QB. Laugh all you want now but when he runs in the 4.3s hes very likely to be #1.

Carolina does not need a CB, there secondary has been very good over the last two years. They need more help at DT/DE. Plus, you can also say that about AJ Green. Elite prospect that could run in the late 4.3s and is a much bigger need for Carolina than CB.

Gamble,Munnerlyn and Marshall have been mugged in their division n out. If you lived in the Carolinas you would know that. They need a CB with elite speed,size, jumping and cover skills in the NFC South.

Green was real close to be picked same with Fairly. I just liked Peterson more than the other 2 and in 3rd n 4th rd i can fill the DT and WR needs here. It was a tough spot to pick after Luck left and Peterson is the best player in this years draft so he went #1.

No doubt they were put in a bad situation when luck decided to stay but like you said, you like Peterson more but that doesn't mean that was the best pick. In your case it is but in many others it's not .

Carolina needs somebody to replace Peppers. It doesn't matter how good your corners are if you can't get pressure on the QB. Brees, Ryan and Johnson have shown the ability to pick apart defenses given time. Games are generally won in the trenches not on the edge.

If I was a Carolina fan and they picked Peterson I would be livid.
Share 49ersWebzone