LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Quarterback Watch

Sucks that we're already scouting QB prospects after Week 1.

Alex Smith has killed this franchise.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Is Mallett too tall at 6'7"? He looks real cumbersome in the pocket, but has a great arm. I don't know we need someone with some mobility.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Sep 18, 2010 at 11:42:53 ]
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Sucks that we're already scouting QB prospects after Week 1.

Alex Smith has killed this franchise.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Is Mallett too tall at 6'7"? We looks real cumbersome in the pocket, but has a great arm. I don't know we need someone with some mobility.

he's got a strong arm but no touch. IDK. to me, strong arm does not equal good arm.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Is Mallett too tall at 6'7"? We looks real cumbersome in the pocket, but has a great arm. I don't know we need someone with some mobility.

he's got a strong arm but no touch. IDK. to me, strong arm does not equal good arm.

No touch can be a problem (Derek Anderson). I'd rather focus on Luck, Locker or Ponder. I really think Ponder will be there for us.
I kind of really want Mallett on this team. He has an awesome arm. Yeah he's 6'7'' but Manning is 6'5'' and so is Matt Schaub. Does 2 inches really make a huge difference?
Mallett GW TD THROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Rivers is 6'5'' too and so is Big Ben Rapistburger, Rivers is an absolute statue in the pocket but he's still a good QB.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
I kind of really want Mallett on this team. He has an awesome arm. Yeah he's 6'7'' but Manning is 6'5'' and so is Matt Schaub. Does 2 inches really make a huge difference?

They have him listed at 6'6" on the Arkansas website.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232007
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Locker is up next versus Nebraska. ABC/ESPN2, 12:30 pm, PST.
So far this year the unaccurate Mallett is completing 73.1% of his passes with a ridiculous 10.46 yards per attempt.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 18, 2010 at 13:03:05 ]

Locker is up next versus Nebraska. ABC/ESPN2, 12:30 pm, PST.

Has potential ... will need a strong running game ... raw for pros ... accuracy seems in question. I would take him in the first round but #1 overall? I am not sure about that.
I watched Mallett this morning and he looked pretty good (380 yds, 3td) and led a game winning drive with like 40 seconds left.

Locker, so far (1 1/2 quarters) looks pretty bad. Although he ran for a touchdown, I think his first pass was an ugly interception that he had no business throwing. I've seen him miss on several passes already (he has been rushed some, though). He is playing against Nebraska, FWIW.

Anyway, I hope Mallett, Locker and Luck all tear it up. The more, the merrier!! Of course, I think it's a foregone conclusion that Luck wants his degree. He was a valedictorian and seems to be intent on finishing his studies. The only way I can see him coming out early is if Harbaugh leaves and he doesn't see Stanford being competitive the following year (or they change systems).

That said, and since they failed to get us an insurance policy in Clausen last year, I want us getting one of these 3 guys for sure next year. Trade up and let's do this right this time
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Locker looks no better than Alex.
We need to definitely talk Harbaugh into being our next OC/HC, and that'll instantly ensure Luck to declare for 2011 (and we'll have a locked deal of draft picks in place to get him).

That would be my dream scenario up to this point... 49ers returning to their lineage with an aggressive WCO-vertical/local coach, and a hot-shot QB with a mature o-line, and tons of weapons to work with.

If Jed really has his uncle's stones he'd make it happen. And if it meant us going 5-11 this year for this to unfold I wouldn't shed a tear.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
We need to definitely talk Harbaugh into being our next OC/HC, and that'll instantly ensure Luck to declare for 2011 (and we'll have a locked deal of draft picks in place to get him).

That would be my dream scenario up to this point... 49ers returning to their lineage with an aggressive WCO-vertical/local coach, and a hot-shot QB with a mature o-line, and tons of weapons to work with.

If Jed really has his uncle's stones he'd make it happen. And if it meant us going 5-11 this year for this to unfold I wouldn't shed a tear.

Does Harbaugh run a WCO?
Share 49ersWebzone