LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

The Clausen Propaganda Machine is Going Into Overdrive

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

I'm more worried about ending up with a Phillip Rivers - Drew Brees scenario...giving up on a young QB one year too early.

You would be worried about solving the most important position on the field with 2 perrenial pro bowlers?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

100% agree. Good post, Ghost. We're too close to take a step backwards now. I previously said I was against this, then changed my mind as long as it wasn't a trade up. But, you've changed my mind again. I hope this doesn't come to be and we lose all the momentum we'd be building with these two picks and the rest of our picks for a Qb who we don't even know is better than what we got already. Thanks for changing my mind for good, Ghost.

Unbelievable.

I'm more worried about ending up with a Phillip Rivers - Drew Brees scenario...giving up on a young QB one year too early.

You'll have to forgive me, but I don't see either Smith or Clausen as anything close to either Brees or Rivers. Not even close, IMO. If that were the case, I'd be all for drafting Clausen and letting time/fate sort out the mess.
Originally posted by mayo63:

Unbelievable.

100% agree. Good post, Ghost. We're too close to take a step backwards now. I previously said I was against this, then changed my mind as long as it wasn't a trade up. But, you've changed my mind again. I hope this doesn't come to be and we lose all the momentum we'd be building with these two picks and the rest of our picks for a Qb who we don't even know is better than what we got already. Thanks for changing my mind for good, Ghost.

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I wish their was a way we as fans could contact management & the owners so they could hear us out as fans & tell them "WE DONT WANT CLAUSEN" he is not worth trading up for he's not the next Manning nor Montana.

i really really hope this is just plain ol smoke screen's we are seeing

What do you think they're doing right now?

They're putting all this Clausen stuff out there in order to guage fan reaction. You don't think that they have an intern listening to the talk radio stations, reading blogs, etc.? You'd be stupid not to.

If the 49er fan reaction is extremely negative, similar to how Dolphins fans reacted to the Ted Ginn pick -- "regime-toppling anger" as I'd call it...they'll back off.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I wish their was a way we as fans could contact management & the owners so they could hear us out as fans & tell them "WE DONT WANT CLAUSEN" he is not worth trading up for he's not the next Manning nor Montana.

i really really hope this is just plain ol smoke screen's we are seeing

I wish they read the webzone. f**kin terrible idea to trade up for Clausen, TERRIBLE.

to bad no one in here has Mike's email address so we could send him the Zone's post
i bet this is Baalke's move & at the end of the day u dont see Singletary so excited bout the early part of the draft

if the deal goes down their goes all the months of preparation out the door all that scouting for nothing because what ever guys they had on the boards will be gone by the time the next picks rolls on, they are going to push the draft boards further down because both of the picks in the 1st wil be gone thanks to drafting of Clausen

its hard so envision the niners getting a couple of starters even if they get a extra 2nd rounder this year in the draft if you want starters at Tackle or Cornerback or even safety you use what you have the 13th & 17th pick.

JIMMY STAY AWAY FROM FRISCO!!!!!!

Unbelievable.

so what happens if Alex fails next year?
Originally posted by TX9R:

Unbelievable.

You would be worried about solving the most important position on the field with 2 perrenial pro bowlers?

Its the only position on the field where one guy can play. If they passed on Eli/Rivers ion '04, they could have taken Larry Fitzgerald.
10-1 (according to Tim K's scenario) We'll be trading our #13 + #17 to Cleveland for their #7 + #38.

With those picks we'd be drafting Jimmy Clausin (of course), and possibly Charles Brown from USC in the 2nd round, if did that, that be f**king awesome.

This is why Scot traded down the 2nd last season with Carolina, for either combing both to move up for a high-pick talent in this year's draft, or trade one of them back. I just don't honestly think the 49ers expected to land 2 picks between the 10-20 spot, so now they seriously have to conjure the salary issue, and the WHAT-IF one of them holds out again, since this might be the last year of the rookie salary cap? Seriously.

New Owner + new coach usually = new QB. You do the math, this scenario was long overdue.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Say we actually draft Clausen, what will your reaction be?

Depends on where we took him

Here are my possible reactions:

- If we traded up for him: angry

- If we took him at #13: content

- If we took him at #17: mildly excited

Question; Would you have been "angry" if they would have moved up to grap Sanchez at #5?

Last year? If we moved up, yes -- very upset. We probably wouldn't even have a 1st round pick this year (the Jets send their #17, their 2nd rounder, two starters on defense, and a backup QB).

But if we took him at #10 last year -- if he fell -- I would have been 'mildly excited'.

All I'm hearing is that Clausen is an 'improved' version of Sanchez and that says alot in my book. I hope we take him if they really think he can be our future.

Unbelievable.

You'll have to forgive me, but I don't see either Smith or Clausen as anything close to either Brees or Rivers. Not even close, IMO. If that were the case, I'd be all for drafting Clausen and letting time/fate sort out the mess.

Brees looked Smith-esque at times on the Chargers -- with a lot more talent (#1 rushing attack, Top defense).
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
10-1 (according to Tim K's scenario) We'll be trading our #13 + #17 to Cleveland for their #7 + #38.

With those picks we'd be drafting Jimmy Clausin (of course), and possibly Charles Brown from USC in the 2nd round, if did that, that be f**king awesome.

This is why Scot traded down the 2nd last season with Carolina, for either combing both to move up for a high-pick talent in this year's draft, or trade one of them back. I just don't honestly think the 49ers expected to land 2 picks between the 10-20 spot, so now they seriously have to conjure the salary issue, and the WHAT-IF one of them holds out again, since this might be the last year of the rookie salary cap? Seriously.

New Owner + new coach usually = new QB. You do the math, this scenario was long overdue.

And New GM.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

I dont think the niners are bold enough to make that move. However if they do I am fully behind it. I think Clausen can play and can be a star, Alex is just well he's just Alex.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Unbelievable.

Then draft Locker or Luck next year, but not Clausen.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Unbelievable.

Take a QB in the deepest QB class since 1999...or 1983.
Share 49ersWebzone