LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

AB's Post Combine WZ Collaborative Mock Draft- Discussion Thread

I don't see the logic of drafting Iupati over Davis either. Davis is a good player with great footwork and can play both LT and RT. you don't pass that up for a guard when your biggest need on the o line is RT. that's just hustling backwards. .
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
I don't see the logic of drafting Iupati over Davis either. Davis is a good player with great footwork and can play both LT and RT. you don't pass that up for a guard when your biggest need on the o line is RT. that's just hustling backwards. .

My logic was simple. Iupati is a better player who is dedicated to the game and is easily one of the best guards to come out from college ranks in years. Davis is a boom-bust type pf player. Plus, we are talkin' about RT - not a LT. Most teams don't draft RTs in top 20-25 just like they don't draft OGs in top 20-25. But, Iupati is a special guard who don't come around often. Davis is good, but not special.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

My logic was simple. Iupati is a better player who is dedicated to the game and is easily one of the best guards to come out from college ranks in years. Davis is a boom-bust type pf player. Plus, we are talkin' about RT - not a LT. Most teams don't draft RTs in top 20-25 just like they don't draft OGs in top 20-25. But, Iupati is a special guard who don't come around often. Davis is good, but not special.

I agree with the 49ers pick, especially with Brown and Duccassae left on the board. If I were the niners I might wanna trade to get ahead of GB to snag Brown.
Quick question, why would Falcons pass up on Weatherspoon for Thomas? I know they have a shaky secondary and Thomas would be a great pick up with Dunta signing and having to play the Saints twice a year, but who do they have in their LB core? Weatherspoon offers more as the best 4-3 OLB in the draft and there is FS talent in the 2nd the Falcons could target.

Overall, I think the pick is justified and would be great for ATL, but Weatherspoon will make them better instantly, where Thomas might need a year to adjust due to the complexities of safety.

It's just gonna be a difference b/c I would Davis everyday of the week over Iupati. And RT is much more important position to fill than guard. The Niners are much worse at RT than any position on the team. So Davis for me would fit that need and is the better player and has better value. Plus he could replace Staley on the left side if he's hurt. Much more value in Davis. Drafting a guard at 17 regardless who it is just isn't good value. I think Iupati is a good player but to call him special is going a bit overboard. If he were special he would be playing left tackle.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Quick question, why would Falcons pass up on Weatherspoon for Thomas? I know they have a shaky secondary and Thomas would be a great pick up with Dunta signing and having to play the Saints twice a year, but who do they have in their LB core? Weatherspoon offers more as the best 4-3 OLB in the draft and there is FS talent in the 2nd the Falcons could target.

Overall, I think the pick is justified and would be great for ATL, but Weatherspoon will make them better instantly, where Thomas might need a year to adjust due to the complexities of safety.

I was thinking the samething about ATL. Plus didn't they draft William Moore last year but he was injured. Not sure how he's doing with his recovery but I think they would like to see what he has before writing off that draft pick.
[ Edited by lamontb on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

When I took Thomas I saw him more as a nickel DB immediately then eventually moves to corner opposite Robinson. I think they like DeCoud at FS a lot.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

It's just gonna be a difference b/c I would Davis everyday of the week over Iupati. And RT is much more important position to fill than guard. The Niners are much worse at RT than any position on the team. So Davis for me would fit that need and is the better player and has better value. Plus he could replace Staley on the left side if he's hurt. Much more value in Davis. Drafting a guard at 17 regardless who it is just isn't good value. I think Iupati is a good player but to call him special is going a bit overboard. If he were special he would be playing left tackle.

Being compared to Larry Allen is being special. Being compared to Andre Smith is not.
OntDOn't understand the green bay pick. They already have a vey good TE with Finley an the need to add depth and talent their aging OL. Also could use some youth and DB
Originally posted by noobie:
OntDOn't understand the green bay pick. They already have a vey good TE with Finley an the need to add depth and talent their aging OL. Also could use some youth and DB
I took him because finley isn't that good compared to gresham...:plus with the top two defensive backs gone an no premier pass rusher I.thought he.was.bpa

Being compared to Larry Allen is being special. Being compared to Andre Smith is not.

If they can get the same production out of Davis that the Bengals got out of Smith last year than they are in good shape. And where was Larry Allen drafted? In the second round just like every other great guard, with very few exceptions.

Originally posted by 49ers18:
Originally posted by noobie:
I took him because finley isn't that good compared to gresham...:plus with the top two defensive backs gone an no premier pass rusher I.thought he.was.bpa

Finley is pretty dam good, not to mention they have a serviceable back up in Donald Lee.
[ Edited by lamontb on Mar 16, 2010 at 6:12 PM ]
Andre smith starts 1 game an played in like 6 before he got injured. Thaw not too good....
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

If they can get the same production out of Davis that the Bengals got out of Smith last year than they are in good shape. And where was Larry Allen drafted? In the second round just like every other great guard, with very few exceptions.

Smith started 1 game all season. He played a total of 6 games. The one game he started, he had a horrible game. He is now strictly considered a RT and there are some rumors of him moving to Guard also.

Yes, a RT drafted at no.6 overall who is not guaranteed to start in 2010 and might be moved to OG.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Yes, Larry Allen was drafted in 2nd round - which was obviously a mistake made by all the teams who didn't draft him in the 1st.
Slow moving draft
Share 49ersWebzone