There are 234 users in the forums

AB's Post Combine WZ Collaborative Mock Draft- Discussion Thread

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I don't see the logic of drafting Iupati over Davis either. Davis is a good player with great footwork and can play both LT and RT. you don't pass that up for a guard when your biggest need on the o line is RT. that's just hustling backwards. .

My logic was simple. Iupati is a better player who is dedicated to the game and is easily one of the best guards to come out from college ranks in years. Davis is a boom-bust type pf player. Plus, we are talkin' about RT - not a LT. Most teams don't draft RTs in top 20-25 just like they don't draft OGs in top 20-25. But, Iupati is a special guard who don't come around often. Davis is good, but not special.

It's just gonna be a difference b/c I would Davis everyday of the week over Iupati. And RT is much more important position to fill than guard. The Niners are much worse at RT than any position on the team. So Davis for me would fit that need and is the better player and has better value. Plus he could replace Staley on the left side if he's hurt. Much more value in Davis. Drafting a guard at 17 regardless who it is just isn't good value. I think Iupati is a good player but to call him special is going a bit overboard. If he were special he would be playing left tackle.

Being compared to Larry Allen is being special. Being compared to Andre Smith is not.

If they can get the same production out of Davis that the Bengals got out of Smith last year than they are in good shape. And where was Larry Allen drafted? In the second round just like every other great guard, with very few exceptions.

Smith started 1 game all season. He played a total of 6 games. The one game he started, he had a horrible game. He is now strictly considered a RT and there are some rumors of him moving to Guard also.

Yes, a RT drafted at no.6 overall who is not guaranteed to start in 2010 and might be moved to OG.

Well s**t on me I though I read the guy was doing well and had a decent season. I give that too you I was wrong on that. Allen would still drafted in the 2nd round b/c teams just don't value guards that highly. they just don't.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I don't see the logic of drafting Iupati over Davis either. Davis is a good player with great footwork and can play both LT and RT. you don't pass that up for a guard when your biggest need on the o line is RT. that's just hustling backwards. .

My logic was simple. Iupati is a better player who is dedicated to the game and is easily one of the best guards to come out from college ranks in years. Davis is a boom-bust type pf player. Plus, we are talkin' about RT - not a LT. Most teams don't draft RTs in top 20-25 just like they don't draft OGs in top 20-25. But, Iupati is a special guard who don't come around often. Davis is good, but not special.

It's just gonna be a difference b/c I would Davis everyday of the week over Iupati. And RT is much more important position to fill than guard. The Niners are much worse at RT than any position on the team. So Davis for me would fit that need and is the better player and has better value. Plus he could replace Staley on the left side if he's hurt. Much more value in Davis. Drafting a guard at 17 regardless who it is just isn't good value. I think Iupati is a good player but to call him special is going a bit overboard. If he were special he would be playing left tackle.

Being compared to Larry Allen is being special. Being compared to Andre Smith is not.

If they can get the same production out of Davis that the Bengals got out of Smith last year than they are in good shape. And where was Larry Allen drafted? In the second round just like every other great guard, with very few exceptions.

Smith started 1 game all season. He played a total of 6 games. The one game he started, he had a horrible game. He is now strictly considered a RT and there are some rumors of him moving to Guard also.

Yes, a RT drafted at no.6 overall who is not guaranteed to start in 2010 and might be moved to OG.

Well s**t on me I though I read the guy was doing well and had a decent season. I give that too you I was wrong on that. Allen would still drafted in the 2nd round b/c teams just don't value guards that highly. they just don't.

It's all good. It happens. Andre Smith may turn out to be ok (it's too early to say anything) but most teams don't draft RTs early either - and he is at best a RT in Cincy now - possibly a guard, and drafted in top 6.

Yes, Larry Allen was drafted in rd. 2 - but I bet if those teams were given a chance to draft him again, he will go in top 10. You are right teams don't value guards to draft them in top 20 - but for special players, rules can be bend and sometimes broken. Safeties don't get drafted in top 10 either, but for players like Sean Taylor and Berry - you can because you feel the potential is, they will one day become the best at their position.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Niner pick coming in 2 minutes
At this rate, we will be lucky to get 2 rounds in; much less 3 rounds.
any thoughts on INDY's pick guys?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
any thoughts on INDY's pick guys?

I'd be stuck between Brian Price, DT, Perrish Cox, CB, and Vladmir Duccasse, OT/G.

Brian Price seems to be the most obvious since they haven't had a disrupting DT since Booger McFarland and he was near the end of his career. Price would help make their front 4 become nasty.

Perrish Cox offers size, athleticism, special teams aspects as a CB. His lack of top-end speed will not be a factor in the Tampa-2 style Indy runs.

With the loss of Lilja and underachieving Tony Ugoh (hehe), Vladimir Duccasse can be placed into both roles and the team doesn't necessarily need him to start.

Overall, I'd choose Price if it was my pick.
Almost another 24 hours since the last pick.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Almost another 24 hours since the last pick.

Yeah, this is kind of dragging.
Yeah, we need a limit for picks. I'd say 12 hours maximum, else one hour discussion and a community pick
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
That's why I don't like doing these mocks, it takes so long to make picks people just lose interest.

Originally posted by stever:
Yeah, we need a limit for picks. I'd say 12 hours maximum, else one hour discussion and a community pick

Who would you take for Cleveland. I'd say BPA and biggest need is probably OLB, and I'd go with Everson Griffen, USC. But you could make a case for Best as the BPA and Cleveland could use help just about everywhere, including RB.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
So Cleveland takes Griffin, DE, USC.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

Who would you take for Cleveland. I'd say BPA and biggest need is probably OLB, and I'd go with Everson Griffen, USC. But you could make a case for Best as the BPA and Cleveland could use help just about everywhere, including RB.

How about Mount Cody ? They are rumored to be shopping Shaun Rogers

Ok, pick made by AB. Oakland on the clock

Ok, pick made by AB. Oakland on the clock

Cool. Hopefully Mayo can get this thing rolling. I hate picking for other people. It makes me be honest and not let good talent fall to me.
Share 49ersWebzone