LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 350 users in the forums

Joe Haden runs a pedestrian 4.57 on his 40! (Eric Berry at 4.45)

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JizzmasterZero:
Originally posted by valrod33:
For comparisons sake........Revis is listed at 6ft , Asomungha is 6-2, and Charles Woodson is 6-1. Arguably the best CB's in the game, and all over 6 foot.

you said who is gonna cover Fitzgerald, we had to 6foot CBs in Spencer and Clements who have basically shutdown Fitz the past years when he has played agaisnt us.

Im sorry but you are crazy if you wouldnt want Haden jsut because he is 5'11 and 3/4

actually he^s five ten and three quarters...and i dont want him because he^s shorter than the elite cb's...i dont want him because he's slow, we need offensive line worse, and by taking him, we lose out on guys like baluga or Iupati.

allow me to clarify. It's not because he's short that I don't want Haden. It's because he's slow, and we have bigger needs than CB right now. And yes, by selecting haden, We lose either Baluga or Iupati....and have to draft OL in the second round instead of the first. I feel much more confident in a Baluga caliber player vs a Charles Brown tier 2 OT. CB is WAAAAY less of a need than OL IMHO, If baluga is there at #13, I want him, and if Iupati is there at #17, I want him to. If only it were up to me.

What about the fact that his stance for his 40 was piss poor ? And if you take a his combine 40 time as the sole way to tell how fast he is then you are making a mistake. Go watch him play, he plays much faster, then wait and see what his pro day 40 will be and you will likely have a different opinion on him being "slow".

BTW we better not select Baluga or Beluga because I want a RT not a whale.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
For comparisons sake........Revis is listed at 6ft , Asomungha is 6-2, and Charles Woodson is 6-1. Arguably the best CB's in the game, and all over 6 foot.

you said who is gonna cover Fitzgerald, we had to 6foot CBs in Spencer and Clements who have basically shutdown Fitz the past years when he has played agaisnt us.

Im sorry but you are crazy if you wouldnt want Haden jsut because he is 5'11 and 3/4

actually he^s five ten and three quarters...and i dont want him because he^s shorter than the elite cb's...i dont want him because he's slow, we need offensive line worse, and by taking him, we lose out on guys like baluga or Iupati.

allow me to clarify. It's not because he's short that I don't want Haden. It's because he's slow, and we have bigger needs than CB right now. And yes, by selecting haden, We lose either Baluga or Iupati....and have to draft OL in the second round instead of the first. I feel much more confident in a Baluga caliber player vs a Charles Brown tier 2 OT. CB is WAAAAY less of a need than OL IMHO, If baluga is there at #13, I want him, and if Iupati is there at #17, I want him to. If only it were up to me.

What about the fact that his stance for his 40 was piss poor ? And if you take a his combine 40 time as the sole way to tell how fast he is then you are making a mistake. Go watch him play, he plays much faster, then wait and see what his pro day 40 will be and you will likely have a different opinion on him being "slow".

Agreed...Haden's stance was really funky which made his get-off really poor, and easily cost him somewhere in the range of a tenth of a second. With a decent stance, Haden is probably a 4.45-4.50 guy.

Just to be clear. In possibly the deepest draft since 1983 you're going to pass on the best corner to take the 4-5 best OT? (RT on our team, not the highly valued LT) then possibly pass on him again to take a LG? There's no way both Bulaga and Iupati are gone at #17, and there's no way we should spend both 1st round picks on the OL in a draft this deep.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Agreed...Haden's stance was really funky which made his get-off really poor, and easily cost him somewhere in the range of a tenth of a second. With a decent stance, Haden is probably a 4.45-4.50 guy.

I'd be willing to bet Deion will persuade him to come down to Prime U and help him run a 40 that will do him justice at the UF pro day.

You may be right, and his proday will be faster I'm sure. I'd actually LOVE to have a guy like him on our team. But we have differing priorities for team needs. You think we need a CB, I think we need to fix the OL. I think we should spend the draft focusing on getting better on Offense since we were ranked 27th in the league, and 4th in scoring defense. I'd say we need to pay better attention to the offense this offseason. I can live with #4 total scoring defense. But 27th in offense makes me want to hurl!
Perrish Cox also ran a slow 40 time (4.53, 4.57). Which means that he could also be available when we pick in 2nd round.

So, do we risk a 1st round pick on Haden, who now has a little bit of a question mark? Or do we pick a OT or Spiller with our 13th pick and go for Cox in 2nd round?
Pass please. I don't want a CB at 13 regardless of 40 time.
  • evil
  • Veteran

You may be right, and his proday will be faster I'm sure. I'd actually LOVE to have a guy like him on our team. But we have differing priorities for team needs. You think we need a CB, I think we need to fix the OL. I think we should spend the draft focusing on getting better on Offense since we were ranked 27th in the league, and 4th in scoring defense. I'd say we need to pay better attention to the offense this offseason. I can live with #4 total scoring defense. But 27th in offense makes me want to hurl!

You do realize OL could be addressed in the other rounds as well ? Every team has a different approach to building a successful OL and just how high LT's, RT's and OG's should be taken. Sometimes teams bypass the philosophy for elite talents at the position sometimes they don't.

I'd bet the 9ers take 1 OL in the 1st but use the other pick to either move pick and acquire more picks OR go with a RB/WR/OLB/CB or S.
Originally posted by amigoj49:
Perrish Cox also ran a slow 40 time (4.53, 4.57). Which means that he could also be available when we pick in 2nd round.

So, do we risk a 1st round pick on Haden, who now has a little bit of a question mark? Or do we pick a OT or Spiller with our 13th pick and go for Cox in 2nd round?

Haden at 13, OT at 17, change-of-pace back in the 2nd/3rd round. Preferably a guy that can return punts too.
Its official, Scotty will draft Haden if he is there. He loves, big, slow, physical CBs....

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Its official, Scotty will draft Haden if he is there. He loves, big, slow, physical CBs....

Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by amigoj49:

Haden at 13, OT at 17, change-of-pace back in the 2nd/3rd round. Preferably a guy that can return punts too.

Actually, Perrish Cox isn't too shabby at returning punts either. I actually think that Spiller will be gone before we make our first pick. So, I wouldn't mind us taking Cox in 2nd round if he falls.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Quote:
Haden was, by most counts, a top 6 or 7 prospect going into the combine. His slow 40 time will result in a likely slip into the middle part of round one. Haden's case is similar to ex-Ohio State cornerback Malcolm Jenkins, whose poor 40 time last season caused him to slip out of the top 10 to No. 14 on draft day.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/02/dbs/index.html?eref=sihp

The problem with all of the Malcolm Jenkins comparisons is that everyone expected him to run slow - you could see it on the tape.

Everyone is shocked that Haden was that slow because he plays much faster on the field.

In the end, it's on the field speed that matters - not how well you perform at a track meet. That's why ultimately, I'd be surprised if this effected Haden's stock as much as everyone seems to think it will.
Berry, Williams, Haden, Spiller...

Honestly, I'd be good with any of those with our #13.
I understand we can add guard in the second or 3rd. But I want elite! I want the #1 OG who by all expert opinion will be a pro-bowler for years to come. I seriously don't want a CB with the first pick, or second for that matter. I rate CB as the #5 teamneed at the moment. #1 is OT, #2 is LG, #3 is S, #4 is Passrushing OLB, THEN CB at #5. There were only 3 teams better at scoring defense than us last year...the Jets, Ravens(surprisingly), and the Cowpukes....ON the flipside, there were 26 teams who were better on offense than us. I miss the days of the 40 point maulings we inflicted on the league, and we'll never get there without an "elite" offensive line.

I'm pretty sure most zoners here agree that fixing the line was the biggest offseason issue. You can't win if you don't score, and we wont be scoring with 2 guys hammering alex and gore getting stuffed all the time.
Share 49ersWebzone