LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 323 users in the forums

The 2010 NFL Draft- WR Discussion Thread (UPDATED: Post Crabtree Deal)

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I wouldn't mind it at all, BUT that's only if Berry or Mays isn't there. Come to think of it I would rate it like this:

Eric Berry
Dez Bryant
Taylor Mays

My second first round pick will be OT or pass-rusher.

mine would go

Berry
Bryant
Bradford (Alex Smith pending)

Then Mike Iupati with the 2nd pick

RT in the 2nd.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1st First round pick - O LINE.
2nd First round pick - O LINE.
2nd round pick - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.

We have sucked at this for what 6 - 7 years in a row. And we continually overlook it year after year after year for other things in the draft and FA. When do we finally fix this? When I ask? Is it time yet to fix it?

Look at the good teams. Look how much time Drew Brees or Peyton Manning have to throw. Even Brett Favre and how much time the Vikings give him. Alex as much as he is maligned can be ok in this league if he gets time. He's never had time in all the years he's been here.

When do we fix our real problem? We can get Safety fixed later and a 2nd WR isn't the biggest priority although it would be nice. D LINE and OLB would also be nice. But if your break it down the 1 thing preventing us from being a playoff team and a winning program is just what I said. More so than any other aspect on this team by far and away. And it's not even close whatever you regard the 2nd biggest problem to be.

I am with SD on this... The NFL is a QB driven league, but a QB is only as good as his OL.. We should draft an OL coach also.

However.. If we have a shot at Berry, we will take him.

But this isn't the only chance to get a RT.

We'll have 2 more chances in the next 40 picks to do so.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I wouldn't mind it at all, BUT that's only if Berry or Mays isn't there. Come to think of it I would rate it like this:

Eric Berry
Dez Bryant
Taylor Mays

My second first round pick will be OT or pass-rusher.

mine would go

Berry
Bryant
Bradford (Alex Smith pending)

Then Mike Iupati with the 2nd pick

RT in the 2nd.

My bad, your right, Bradford before Mays, and yes, Alex Smith pending.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
1st First round pick - O LINE.
2nd First round pick - O LINE.
2nd round pick - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.

We have sucked at this for what 6 - 7 years in a row. And we continually overlook it year after year after year for other things in the draft and FA. When do we finally fix this? When I ask? Is it time yet to fix it?

Look at the good teams. Look how much time Drew Brees or Peyton Manning have to throw. Even Brett Favre and how much time the Vikings give him. Alex as much as he is maligned can be ok in this league if he gets time. He's never had time in all the years he's been here.

When do we fix our real problem? We can get Safety fixed later and a 2nd WR isn't the biggest priority although it would be nice. D LINE and OLB would also be nice. But if your break it down the 1 thing preventing us from being a playoff team and a winning program is just what I said. More so than any other aspect on this team by far and away. And it's not even close whatever you regard the 2nd biggest problem to be.

Yeah we need to pick a lot of OL guys. Unless we get a LEGIT STUD in FA, then we can take Bryant. Don't get me wrong it'd be nice, but we have a pretty decent stable of young recievers. Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Hill, etc. I mean don't get me wrong, Bryant's a beast, if he's the undisputed BPA AND we have fixed our needs in FA, go for it. But I think until we get OL fixed, RT and both guard spots NEED to be a priority. Another RB is also probably more of a need than a WR, so Frank doesn't wear down too soon and we get another 2-3 years out of him. Or Berry. We have a lot of spots we can improve, I'm not sure WR is that important after landing Crabtree, except Bryant is a legit playmaker. At the same time Bryant is connected to Sanders who likely will hook him up with Parker and if he slips to us we're going to go through the same exact crap we went through with Crabtree. Getting ASmith weapons is important, but getting him protection and beefing up our defense is also very important. And if he doesn't succeed to the point where we can say he has a decent shot of being the guy, we may also need to go QB as well.

Crabtree and Bryant won't allow teams to blitz. Atleast not to the point that we have seen this season. Which helps Alex or the new QB. It also will help the Oline.

Adding a young O-lineman like I said is the biggest need and may help us more next season. But having 2 guys on the outside you don't (atleast may not) want to man up. That only helps the rest of the offense. Makes the QB better. Open lanes for Vern. Keeps the 8th man out the box for Gore. Prevents the other team from blitzing as much, thus helping the O-line.

Unless the OT we take is a dominant LT. We have to take Bryant. Assuming Berry doesn't fall to us.

One more thing I'd like to add about the Parker and Deion comment. They know they wouldn't benefit by doing what they did this year. So I really don't see this as a problem. They might try it with another team. But they know how it will end here.

Only potential problem would come during extension time.

You might be right, I don't know. I'd be worried to say the least about Parker and Deion, especially since if Parker had waited another week he would've had the 9ers nuts in a vice grip. I will say this, if we don't get a high priced guard or RT in FA, I want us to use that first pick on the best pass protecting RT or road grading OG available. If we go out there in FA and we get 1 high priced FA on the OL, we probably can afford to use the first pick on Bryant. He's a special player, reminds a lot of people of TO with better hands. He runs angry. He and Crabs would be awesome for whoever the QB is. But we need to make sure the QB has some protection to get them the ball. I like Bryant as a player though.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Originally posted by cubanb:
We aren't the Lions. We need to focus on some gaping holes that have been around for years now : Oline and Pass Rusher. Heck, even an elite safety.

This.....

I agree... I'm just saying if he fell to us he'd at least be given a long hard look. That being said, I would be surprised if he WAS actually picked by us. I would love OT OG first two

I'm sure Scotty would think about it....you have to examine all of your options...but with the recievers we already have inactive: Hill and Jones (primarily)who are both Deep Ball threats...it makes no since to use another 1st round pick on a WR. Our philosophy is to run the ball and we need help at both Guard positions and Right Tackle and what about a qaulity back-up for Gore. I believe in BPA....just BPA at a position of need and right now we need: OG, RT, SS, RB and still a NT(Franklin's not getting any younger and Soap is a bust) more than WR.

That's why...IMO.... it just makes no sense.
[ Edited by Ninerbowl6 on Oct 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM ]
We aren't the Lions. We need to focus on some gaping holes that have been around for years now : Oline and Pass Rusher. Heck, even an elite safety.

Lets clear up a misconception about the Lions and drafting WRs

myth: Lions made a mistake by drafting multiple WRs early in the 1st round

fact: Lions made a mistake by drafting multiple BAD WRs early in the 1st round

They didn't make a mistake with CJ because he's good. They made a mistake with RW, MW and CR because they're all terrible (RW is actually avg)
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

They didn't make a mistake with CJ because he's good. They made a mistake with RW, MW and CR because they're all terrible (RW is actually avg)

charles rogers wasnt that bad he just was hurt alot and he blazed.
Originally posted by Ether:
Since we'll have 2 Top 15 picks, we can afford to take Dez Bryant, and go O-Line with the next 2 picks.

but it doesnt matter b/c we dont need him
You guys really think Jason Hill will ever contribute to our team in a meaningful way?

You guys really think we don't need a receiver? I like Morgan but he hasn't shown that he can be an elite receiver yet. Brandon Jones hasn't proven he is worth the contract and hasn't really ever done that much in his NFL career. Bruce is most likely retiring.

I agree that our OL needs to be addressed but we can do that in FA or later in the draft. A lot of successful teams have good OLs that they built from the middle rounds.

Everyone that is caught up on the Lions need to realize that they failed because the players the drafted didn't contribute. Busts are Busts and whether it is Ryan Leaf or Rashuan Woods it doesn't really matter the position.

If you draft 2 bad players, one average and one good/great player like the Lions did over four years you won't be that good either.

I think Berry will be gone by the time we pick. He is as a talented as Dez is and at a position of bigger need so I can see him being picked if available. I just don't know if there will be an OT on the board as talented as Dez is when we pick. So why reach and take an OL when we will have another pick later in the round to get one?

Bottom line I would hate it if we passed up an extremely talented player no matter the position just to draft OL with our first pick.
[ Edited by joey82 on Oct 30, 2009 at 4:53 AM ]
If he is the BPA and there are no dynamic O LINEMEN on the board I wouldn't mind the pick. But he wouldn't be my first choice. He could potentially make for an explosive offense. Having lots of weapons is good. Look at New Orleans. Weapons galore can make you an excellent NFL team.

If he is the BPA and there are no dynamic O LINEMEN on the board I wouldn't mind the pick. But he wouldn't be my first choice. He could potentially make for an explosive offense. Having lots of weapons is good. Look at New Orleans. Weapons galore can make you an excellent NFL team.

I agree, plus he would help out with punt returns and he is explosive doing that.

here is a question, say no O Linemen are available when we pick but say Bryant and Berry are, who do you choose?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I hope he is not on the board, so that we don't have to make this decision.
Originally posted by babyshaq90:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

charles rogers wasnt that bad he just was hurt alot and he blazed.

HUUUUUGGGEEEEE character issues coming out. He had talent, sure, but was very questionable. Either way, the point I was making is that they sucked because the WRs they picked up didn't pan out, not because they had too many stud WRs. If RW, CR and MW all turned out, and then they got CJ they would be a winning team. At that point you just bring in an avg QB and avg O-lineman and they look good. Can you imagine a team with 4 Fitzgeralds??? What I'm trying to say is that if a player is good, and there is room for him on the field, then he will help our team. Play makers are always needed.
no, we are not the lions.
Perhaps if he's sitting there at 20, and we aleady grabbed our tackle do I consider him, but even then it's still a long shot.
Share 49ersWebzone