There are 196 users in the forums

The 2010 NFL Draft- WR Discussion Thread (UPDATED: Post Crabtree Deal)

Honestly, you'd have to give Dez Bryant a look as a GM, right? I understand this whole "we're not the Lions" thing, but Dez Bryant is an absolute beast. Imagine him, Crabtree, and Morgan in a three wide set with VD and Gore. With the next two picks -- which is a bottom half 1st round and top half 2nd round we go OT OG. And that's IF he's on the board.

I am just saying that talent doesn't come around every year and fall to us.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Honestly, you'd have to give Dez Bryant a look as a GM, right? I understand this whole "we're not the Lions" thing, but Dez Bryant is an absolute beast. Imagine him, Crabtree, and Morgan in a three wide set with VD and Gore. With the next two picks -- which is a bottom half 1st round and top half 2nd round we go OT OG. And that's IF he's on the board.

keeping a pair like that is going to be damn hard.....

And then who is going to coach them? SING? 3 yards and a cloud of dust?

If martz was still here...then...yea....maybe Go in that direction and watch the carnage that Talent can produce....But with out the coaching staff.....sounds like a bad choice....

I would love to see him on the niners... I think he rocks....I just dont see how he would make sense...
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Absolutely yes!

This isn't fantasy football redraft league. Where you are playing to win THIS YEAR. This is a long haul situation. Bryant and Crabs together! Can you say... Moss/Carter. Harrison/Wayne. Holt/Bruce. Fitz/Boldin

This is a no brainer IMO. Yes we need Oline help and a QB to get them the ball. But that can come. Unless there is a dominant LT or by some ridiculous Crabtree chance Berry is there we have to take Bryant.

RT would definitely be the best option for this year. But over the long haul. Bryant far outweighs a RT IMO.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

keeping a pair like that is going to be damn hard.....

And then who is going to coach them? SING? 3 yards and a cloud of dust?

If martz was still here...then...yea....maybe Go in that direction and watch the carnage that Talent can produce....But with out the coaching staff.....sounds like a bad choice....

I would love to see him on the niners... I think he rocks....I just dont see how he would make sense...

I think he makes sense in making the team exponetially better. Let's pretend Alex Smith becomes a good QB over the course of the year -- enough to know he can spread the ball... Why not? With the next two picks we get potential OLine starters to protect Alex. The more weapons on offense, the better IMHO. I guess we'll see how Crabtree develops over the year to truly see if we could get both. It'd be the best young trio of WRs in the league and they'd all be locked up for at least 4 years. What chemistry they'd have and if we kept Raye for those years, imagine how well they'd know the playbook. I look at it as a win-win situation.
Originally posted by cubanb:
We aren't the Lions. We need to focus on some gaping holes that have been around for years now : Oline and Pass Rusher. Heck, even an elite safety.

This.....
It isn't like we can't take OL with our second first rounder or use our middle round picks. Heck we could even pick someone up in FA.

I just think you have to go with best talent on the board unless it is a position you just don't need.

The Lions are a bad example because 2 of their 4 first round WR picks contributed absolutely nothing. If your first round picks don't contribute you are in trouble regardless of what position it is you draft.

Look at how many early picks the Chiefs have spent on OL and DL and they still aren't very good. Heck, Tampa has a pretty good OL but they still aren't winning games.

Two young elite WR on the edges along with VD in the middle would create a dynamic explosive offense. I don't think Dez is a big enough need for us to trade up for him but if he is on the board I think the 49ers should pull the trigger.
the jets still want a wr right?

Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Originally posted by cubanb:
We aren't the Lions. We need to focus on some gaping holes that have been around for years now : Oline and Pass Rusher. Heck, even an elite safety.

This.....

I agree... I'm just saying if he fell to us he'd at least be given a long hard look. That being said, I would be surprised if he WAS actually picked by us. I would love OT OG first two
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1st First round pick - O LINE.
2nd First round pick - O LINE.
2nd round pick - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.

We have sucked at this for what 6 - 7 years in a row. And we continually overlook it year after year after year for other things in the draft and FA. When do we finally fix this? When I ask? Is it time yet to fix it?

Look at the good teams. Look how much time Drew Brees or Peyton Manning have to throw. Even Brett Favre and how much time the Vikings give him. Alex as much as he is maligned can be ok in this league if he gets time. He's never had time in all the years he's been here.

When do we fix our real problem? We can get Safety fixed later and a 2nd WR isn't the biggest priority although it would be nice. D LINE and OLB would also be nice. But if your break it down the 1 thing preventing us from being a playoff team and a winning program is just what I said. More so than any other aspect on this team by far and away. And it's not even close whatever you regard the 2nd biggest problem to be.

Yeah we need to pick a lot of OL guys. Unless we get a LEGIT STUD in FA, then we can take Bryant. Don't get me wrong it'd be nice, but we have a pretty decent stable of young recievers. Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Hill, etc. I mean don't get me wrong, Bryant's a beast, if he's the undisputed BPA AND we have fixed our needs in FA, go for it. But I think until we get OL fixed, RT and both guard spots NEED to be a priority. Another RB is also probably more of a need than a WR, so Frank doesn't wear down too soon and we get another 2-3 years out of him. Or Berry. We have a lot of spots we can improve, I'm not sure WR is that important after landing Crabtree, except Bryant is a legit playmaker. At the same time Bryant is connected to Sanders who likely will hook him up with Parker and if he slips to us we're going to go through the same exact crap we went through with Crabtree. Getting ASmith weapons is important, but getting him protection and beefing up our defense is also very important. And if he doesn't succeed to the point where we can say he has a decent shot of being the guy, we may also need to go QB as well.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
2nd round pick - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.

We have sucked at this for what 6 - 7 years in a row. And we continually overlook it year after year after year for other things in the draft and FA. When do we finally fix this? When I ask? Is it time yet to fix it?

Look at the good teams. Look how much time Drew Brees or Peyton Manning have to throw. Even Brett Favre and how much time the Vikings give him. Alex as much as he is maligned can be ok in this league if he gets time. He's never had time in all the years he's been here.

When do we fix our real problem? We can get Safety fixed later and a 2nd WR isn't the biggest priority although it would be nice. D LINE and OLB would also be nice. But if your break it down the 1 thing preventing us from being a playoff team and a winning program is just what I said. More so than any other aspect on this team by far and away. And it's not even close whatever you regard the 2nd biggest problem to be.

Yeah we need to pick a lot of OL guys. Unless we get a LEGIT STUD in FA, then we can take Bryant. Don't get me wrong it'd be nice, but we have a pretty decent stable of young recievers. Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Hill, etc. I mean don't get me wrong, Bryant's a beast, if he's the undisputed BPA AND we have fixed our needs in FA, go for it. But I think until we get OL fixed, RT and both guard spots NEED to be a priority. Another RB is also probably more of a need than a WR, so Frank doesn't wear down too soon and we get another 2-3 years out of him. Or Berry. We have a lot of spots we can improve, I'm not sure WR is that important after landing Crabtree, except Bryant is a legit playmaker. At the same time Bryant is connected to Sanders who likely will hook him up with Parker and if he slips to us we're going to go through the same exact crap we went through with Crabtree. Getting ASmith weapons is important, but getting him protection and beefing up our defense is also very important. And if he doesn't succeed to the point where we can say he has a decent shot of being the guy, we may also need to go QB as well.

Crabtree and Bryant won't allow teams to blitz. Atleast not to the point that we have seen this season. Which helps Alex or the new QB. It also will help the Oline.

Adding a young O-lineman like I said is the biggest need and may help us more next season. But having 2 guys on the outside you don't (atleast may not) want to man up. That only helps the rest of the offense. Makes the QB better. Open lanes for Vern. Keeps the 8th man out the box for Gore. Prevents the other team from blitzing as much, thus helping the O-line.

Unless the OT we take is a dominant LT. We have to take Bryant. Assuming Berry doesn't fall to us.

only if he falls to the 20+ range not because the lack of talent but because WR is the least of our needs right now
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
2nd round pick - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.

Crabtree and Bryant won't allow teams to blitz. Atleast not to the point that we have seen this season. Which helps Alex or the new QB. It also will help the Oline.

Adding a young O-lineman like I said is the biggest need and may help us more next season. But having 2 guys on the outside you don't (atleast may not) want to man up. That only helps the rest of the offense. Makes the QB better. Open lanes for Vern. Keeps the 8th man out the box for Gore. Prevents the other team from blitzing as much, thus helping the O-line.

Unless the OT we take is a dominant LT. We have to take Bryant. Assuming Berry doesn't fall to us.

One more thing I'd like to add about the Parker and Deion comment. They know they wouldn't benefit by doing what they did this year. So I really don't see this as a problem. They might try it with another team. But they know how it will end here.

Only potential problem would come during extension time.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I wouldn't mind it at all, BUT that's only if Berry or Mays isn't there. Come to think of it I would rate it like this:

Eric Berry
Dez Bryant
Taylor Mays

My second first round pick will be OT or pass-rusher.
2nd round pick - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.
FA pickup - O LINE.

I am with SD on this... The NFL is a QB driven league, but a QB is only as good as his OL.. We should draft an OL coach also.

However.. If we have a shot at Berry, we will take him.
i wouldn't touch him until the 2nd round. or the 32nd pick in the first
Share 49ersWebzone