There are 150 users in the forums

if calvin johnson and crabs were in the same draft ...

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Calvin Johnson

YEAR REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2004 48 837 17.4 51 7 3 10 3.3 7 1 0 0
2005 54 888 16.4 59 6 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
2006 76

Micheal Crabtree
2007 134 1962 14.6 75 22 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
2008 97 1165 12.0 82 19 2 1 0.5 3 0 0 0

Yeah I would easily pick calvin over crabs..... please with out knowledge of cj's career in nfl how could I not pick crabs

i think CJ still goes first because NFL teams love size/speed ratio. and CJ is a freak in that department. hes huge, fast, sure handed, has hops. hes dope. Crabs should be pretty damn good himself, those numbers dont lie. crabtree was a YAC machine in college, they knock his speed but i didnt see him get caught very many times from behind. i was so excited when the raiders passed on him. we'll see in a couple years where our guy is at compared to CJ who already is one of the top receivers in the league. crabs should be up there soon.

i dont know crabs had 1100 more yards fresh year. and while injured he still beat him by around 300 y. yeah i know stats don't, and different comp. either way 1100 yards more..... come on. thats serious. 1900 vs 800 yards.

very true, i would take crabs too because i say production is the only thing i would look at in selecting someone, obviously theyre doing something right if they put up good numbers. im just saying that most scouts see guys with freakish measurables like CJ and VD and they take them over people with better numbers. like Al davis for instance, he takes bey who isnt half the receiver crabtree is just because he's really fast. stuff like that.

You guys are not looking at the system both guys were in. And, look at their QBs. And of course size and speed matters. It's very important how the players game and skill translate to the next level. This is where CJ separates not just Crabtree, but every Wr that has ever been drafted.

Stats in college are just one of the parameters. If you look at just the production, you will end up drafting great college players who can't play in the NFL and there are plenty of those guys. Some college greats don't even make it to the NFL.

i have looked at those. but 1100 yards is a huge seperation no matter what system.

I think stats are important but in a spread system these guys are right. numbers highly inflated. Im reminded of Timmy Chang, broke NCAA record for most career passing yards. barely got drafted or undrafted. hes in the CFL right now.

Besides that I think CJ's yards avg is way superior to Crabtree which I think is somthing overlooked. with double sometimes triple coverage to both one got more yards per catch.

All that being said itts very very very hard to overlook one key stat.Crabtree had 94% passes thrown his way caught. now BECAUSE hes in a spread system that number is even more impressive. non stop passes come his way. and hes snagging 94% of passes? That is the definition of hands. We havent had potential safe mits like that since Jerry.

a few more yards 3-4, i couldnt tell you if johnson was double teamed, but crabs sure was doubled and trippled

Really? Crabtree was doubled at times, but to avoid the double teams - he often ran his routes from the slot. CJ was doubled-tripled pretty much all the time. He was the ONLY threat on offense for Yellow Jackets, and he made some ridiculous catches while being doubled.

Crabtree has really really good hands, but I haven't seen him make highlight reel catches as often as Johnson. Part of the reason is, Johnson had a horrible QB throwing him the ball, and was never accurate. But, Johnson was hands down the best WR to come out of college as a pro prospect. Better than Larry Fitzerald, better than Andre Johnson...better than anyone. Oakland was stupid to not draft him no. 1 and I'm glad they did that, because then I couldn't have root for CJ.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Calvin Johnson

YEAR REC YDS AVG LNG TD ATT YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2004 48 837 17.4 51 7 3 10 3.3 7 1 0 0
2005 54 888 16.4 59 6 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
2006 76

Micheal Crabtree
2007 134 1962 14.6 75 22 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0
2008 97 1165 12.0 82 19 2 1 0.5 3 0 0 0

Yeah I would easily pick calvin over crabs..... please with out knowledge of cj's career in nfl how could I not pick crabs

i think CJ still goes first because NFL teams love size/speed ratio. and CJ is a freak in that department. hes huge, fast, sure handed, has hops. hes dope. Crabs should be pretty damn good himself, those numbers dont lie. crabtree was a YAC machine in college, they knock his speed but i didnt see him get caught very many times from behind. i was so excited when the raiders passed on him. we'll see in a couple years where our guy is at compared to CJ who already is one of the top receivers in the league. crabs should be up there soon.

i dont know crabs had 1100 more yards fresh year. and while injured he still beat him by around 300 y. yeah i know stats don't, and different comp. either way 1100 yards more..... come on. thats serious. 1900 vs 800 yards.

very true, i would take crabs too because i say production is the only thing i would look at in selecting someone, obviously theyre doing something right if they put up good numbers. im just saying that most scouts see guys with freakish measurables like CJ and VD and they take them over people with better numbers. like Al davis for instance, he takes bey who isnt half the receiver crabtree is just because he's really fast. stuff like that.

You guys are not looking at the system both guys were in. And, look at their QBs. And of course size and speed matters. It's very important how the players game and skill translate to the next level. This is where CJ separates not just Crabtree, but every Wr that has ever been drafted.

Stats in college are just one of the parameters. If you look at just the production, you will end up drafting great college players who can't play in the NFL and there are plenty of those guys. Some college greats don't even make it to the NFL.

i have looked at those. but 1100 yards is a huge seperation no matter what system.

I think stats are important but in a spread system these guys are right. numbers highly inflated. Im reminded of Timmy Chang, broke NCAA record for most career passing yards. barely got drafted or undrafted. hes in the CFL right now.

Besides that I think CJ's yards avg is way superior to Crabtree which I think is somthing overlooked. with double sometimes triple coverage to both one got more yards per catch.

All that being said itts very very very hard to overlook one key stat.Crabtree had 94% passes thrown his way caught. now BECAUSE hes in a spread system that number is even more impressive. non stop passes come his way. and hes snagging 94% of passes? That is the definition of hands. We havent had potential safe mits like that since Jerry.

a few more yards 3-4, i couldnt tell you if johnson was double teamed, but crabs sure was doubled and trippled

Really? Crabtree was doubled at times, but to avoid the double teams - he often ran his routes from the slot. CJ was doubled-tripled pretty much all the time. He was the ONLY threat on offense for Yellow Jackets, and he made some ridiculous catches while being doubled.

Crabtree has really really good hands, but I haven't seen him make highlight reel catches as often as Johnson. Part of the reason is, Johnson had a horrible QB throwing him the ball, and was never accurate. But, Johnson was hands down the best WR to come out of college as a pro prospect. Better than Larry Fitzerald, better than Andre Johnson...better than anyone. Oakland was stupid to not draft him no. 1 and I'm glad they did that, because then I couldn't have root for CJ.

Yeah, which thanks to al davis and his idea's. He lost randy moss and passed on CJ! lol i root for all lions fans because there just to easy to put down.
Share 49ersWebzone