There are 312 users in the forums

if calvin johnson and crabs were in the same draft ...

Originally posted by jnew62:
Originally posted by WillisWillKilYou:

CRABTREE WASN'T EVEN THE FIRST WR TAKEN THIS YEAR!!!!

he was still the best receiver in this years draft

Doesn't matter. The question was; Would he have been taken before Calvin Johnson. And the answer is he didn't even go in front of DHB. SO the real question should be weather DHB would have gone over Calvin Johnson. 9 teams passed on Crabtree, for one reason or another. Not just the Raiders. And from past history with top 10 WR's, probably rightfully so. Even Braylon Edwards who has for the most part, been successful, isn't worth a 1st rd. pick. And he was taken #3. Zona can't get a #1 for Boldin. Meanwhile, Peters goes to the Eagles for a #1. Cutler went to the Bears for 2 #1's.

I notice you mentioned Boldin, but conveniently left out Fitzgerald, who actually WAS a #1 pick and is worth more than just a 1st round pick.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by WillisWillKilYou:

CRABTREE WASN'T EVEN THE FIRST WR TAKEN THIS YEAR!!!!

he was still the best receiver in this years draft

Doesn't matter. The question was; Would he have been taken before Calvin Johnson. And the answer is he didn't even go in front of DHB. SO the real question should be weather DHB would have gone over Calvin Johnson. 9 teams passed on Crabtree, for one reason or another. Not just the Raiders. And from past history with top 10 WR's, probably rightfully so. Even Braylon Edwards who has for the most part, been successful, isn't worth a 1st rd. pick. And he was taken #3. Zona can't get a #1 for Boldin. Meanwhile, Peters goes to the Eagles for a #1. Cutler went to the Bears for 2 #1's.

I notice you mentioned Boldin, but conveniently left out Fitzgerald, who actually WAS a #1 pick and is worth more than just a 1st round pick.

I didn't conveniently leave anyone out. When Larry Fitz hits the market it'll be interesting what he is worth. Owens got traded for a 3rd AND released outright. Moss was traded for a 4th. Chad Johnson isn't fetching a 2nd. So when Larry Fitz hits the market it'll be interesting to see what he gets traded for. That's my point.

Randy Moss coming out of college > Calvin Johnson coming out of college.

Why does everyone always forget about Moss? He's a freak of nature then and a freak of nature now
I think Calvin would have been the first WR taken....but I believe Crabtree will have the better pro career.
Johnson.....but if Crabtree played another year and shattered every college record which he was easily on pace fpr than landslide crabtree. We are all lucky that he came out after his second season or else he would of been a top 3 pick and before johnson
Originally posted by elguapo:
Johnson.....but if Crabtree played another year and shattered every college record which he was easily on pace fpr than landslide crabtree. We are all lucky that he came out after his second season or else he would of been a top 3 pick and before johnson

I highly doubt that would happen....

Crabs would have to run the 40 at the combine...something he is not going to do since he is pedestrian.

He is never going to get the credit for his college production because of the system. The NFL's second day of the draft is LITTERED with College stat holders. Its just not that Valuable.

Day one guys are ALL about Size and Speed, Top 5 Pick guys are ALL about pro-type Size and speed.

there are VERY VERY few Top 3 draft pick WRs in the history of the NFL , Crabs does not have the tools to push himself to that point.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Randy Moss coming out of college > Calvin Johnson coming out of college.

Why does everyone always forget about Moss? He's a freak of nature then and a freak of nature now

Thats because Calvin was and is a bigger freak than Moss. There has never been a WR prospect that is 6-5 240 with 4.35 speed and that is at the combine if he would have done it timed like moss did it before he came into the league he would have likely been under 4.3.
Originally posted by yoda76:
If both of them were on the board..............the Raiders would take Hayward-Bey!

I was telling my buddy that I would have traded away Jason Hill and a few tenths of a second to the Raiders for that 7th pick.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
Originally posted by elguapo:

I highly doubt that would happen....

Crabs would have to run the 40 at the combine...something he is not going to do since he is pedestrian.

He is never going to get the credit for his college production because of the system. The NFL's second day of the draft is LITTERED with College stat holders. Its just not that Valuable.

Day one guys are ALL about Size and Speed, Top 5 Pick guys are ALL about pro-type Size and speed.

there are VERY VERY few Top 3 draft pick WRs in the history of the NFL , Crabs does not have the tools to push himself to that point.

95% of the time I think you would be right, but occasionly there's going to be down years like this year and in 05. Braylon Edwards had a good frame at 6'3 and adequate speed at 4.45 and was the third pick. Edwards was a pretty good prospect but isn't the elite prospect that you were describing. Crabtree could have easily went to Seattle at 4 if he was healthy and ran a sub 4.52. Sh*t he probally would have been Seattle's pick had Kansas City not of reached on Tyson Jackson.

I do agree that Crabtree would never be taken before Johnson though. Just look at Detroit taking Charles Rogers over Andre Johnson. No team is going to make that mistake again. When a receiver is 6'5 and runs a 4.4 there really isn't much risk involved.
  • Roxy
  • Veteran
Agreed. Though slamming the Raiders is like shooting fish in a barrel...

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Not close. Johnson by a mile.

P.S. Can I add that on draft day, I said that if the Raiders drafted Russell, they would live to regret the pick. Johnson was clearly the best prospect in the draft, even a better prospect than A. Peterson, who has been phenomenal.

So, the Raiders could have had a combination of Johnson and Crabtree. Instead, they have Russell and Heyward-Bey.

Way to go, Al Davis. Brilliant!!!!

Shouldn't even be a question.

Megatron >>>>>> Crabtree
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Andre Johnson > Calvin Johnson
  • HebrewWall
  • Info N/A
You must also remember that Calvin Johnson had this guy throwing him the ball...
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:

Why do you say that? I love Andre Johnson, but Calvin Johnson had almost 1350 yards in his second year with some chump QB throwing to him. He also had 4 TDs more than Andre Johnson who had 250 more yards.

I think by year 4-5 - Calvin Johnson will put up some absurd numbers.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by crzy:

Why do you say that? I love Andre Johnson, but Calvin Johnson had almost 1350 yards in his second year with some chump QB throwing to him. He also had 4 TDs more than Andre Johnson who had 250 more yards.

I think by year 4-5 - Calvin Johnson will put up some absurd numbers.

I'd take Andre for now but give Megatron another year and he will be the best their is.
Share 49ersWebzone