I'll take it. He was very hit and miss but he essentially had to clean up Matt Millen's 0-16 mess and the Lions eventually made the playoffs twice under his watch. Plus, it's not like he's our new GM.
I wonder if Lynch will make anymore hires. Still curious about Dominick and Hickey.
There are 570 users in the forums
Martin Mayhew-New GM-Washington Football Team
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:22 PM
- Fanaticofnfl
- Veteran
- Posts: 20,980
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:25 PM
- zonkers
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,395
Originally posted by Butter:
Is this the "football guy" front office position many of us were hoping for?
I think Lynch is that guy.
Mayhew is that too, but it seems like his job is to advise on being a GM.
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:27 PM
- StubbyNBY
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,749
Originally posted by Butter:Is this the "football guy" front office position many of us were hoping for?
link
Not sure if I would say "football guy" more like "THE" "experienced guy" who has a great background as he was a long time player who has a business and law career on his resume as well as being an NFL GM for 8 years. Just a really good all/around hire. I almost view him as a team president and a Carmen Policy type
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:29 PM
- Butter
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,484
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:Originally posted by Butter:Is this the "football guy" front office position many of us were hoping for?
link
Not sure if I would say "football guy" more like "THE" "experienced guy" who has a great background as he was a long time player who has a business and law career on his resume as well as being an NFL GM for 8 years. Just a really good all/around hire. I almost view him as a team president and a Carmen Policy type
I like the concept of this hire. I really like that they are building a solid support team around Lynch.
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:30 PM
- gold49digger
- Veteran
- Posts: 17,726
We have the scouting master in Peter's and an experienced guy in Mayhew. It's a great setup. This team is heading towards the right direction. From a front office pov, it's more exciting than the harbaugh era.
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:39 PM
- thl408
- Moderator
- Posts: 33,332
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:43 PM
- Jcool
- Veteran
- Posts: 44,536
#49ers name Martin Mayhew Senior Personnel Executive
— San Francisco 49ers (@49ers) February 10, 2017
Details: https://t.co/iUXZQ1ZtQY pic.twitter.com/cXBJVhOjfF
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:55 PM
- DonnieDarko
- Veteran
- Posts: 66,884
Martin*
not mike
not mike
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:57 PM
- Draftology
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,168
Say what you want about Mayhew as a General Manager, but this was a much needed hire. He's run a draft room before, he knows what the job entails, and has the experience to guide both Lynch and Peters in the right direction.
I'd also like to see us add Gary Kubiak as a consultant - would be a great mentor to Shanahan in conjunction with Papa Shanahan.
I'd also like to see us add Gary Kubiak as a consultant - would be a great mentor to Shanahan in conjunction with Papa Shanahan.
Feb 9, 2017 at 4:57 PM
- thl408
- Moderator
- Posts: 33,332
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Martin*
not mike
Thread title edited. Thanks.
Feb 9, 2017 at 5:00 PM
- GorefullBore
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,449
Solid hire.
Feb 9, 2017 at 5:03 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,405
Whether it was him or Dominik, the 49ers needed an experienced front office guy and they get exactly that with Mayhew. He's a former teammate of Lynch's as well so I'm sure that didn't hurt in the decision to hire him. His GM record is mixed but he has a plethora of experience that will allow Lynch to lean on him.
With Lynch, Mayhew, Peters and Gamble the front office has come together pretty nicely IMO. All these guys will have specific roles with Lynch acting as the overseer for everything that goes on.
With Lynch, Mayhew, Peters and Gamble the front office has come together pretty nicely IMO. All these guys will have specific roles with Lynch acting as the overseer for everything that goes on.
Feb 9, 2017 at 5:03 PM
- lamontb
- Veteran
- Posts: 33,335
Yea I like him over Dominik. Good gire
Feb 9, 2017 at 5:11 PM
- SofaKing
- Veteran
- Posts: 27,442
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea I like him over Dominik. Good gire
This. Now we just need to hire Gire when he retires.
