LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

Martin Mayhew-New GM-Washington Football Team

Shop 49ers game tickets
Mayhew actually was pretty good at drafting. He has quite a few people either starting or still in the league.

I don't think people realize how many draft picks dont pan out.

Bill Belichicks last 5 drafts only have a couple people still there or even in the league.

if you get 2-3 quality starters from a draft, that is a success.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by tommyncal:
I'm surprised the Giants let him go.

Its not surprising. He was just the director of football operations/special projects. He was low on the totem pole.

Senior Personnel Executive > or < Director of Football Operations ???? How do you know which is lower on the pole?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by thl408:
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/04/16/detroit-lions-draft-history/25881215/

Full spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AwldQiDZ6-tLV-8VPSH4cr9ho0N3RzIVi4c3-v0AkV8/pubhtml

Besides a bad 2014 and 2015 isn't shaping up that great either, the rest is pretty impressive how many players are still playing. A few good pass rushers drafted as well.

2013 wofford is a starter and that is actually a solid roster. All but 3 picks over the past 3 years are on the roster (40% of the roster if my late night math is correct). He was part of selecting a franchise QB and a pass catcher who was their starting TE until this past season.

Most teams appear to employee a 3-4 year plan now with the way rookie contracts are structured so having 3 straight drafts that almost all make the roster and average 3+ starters per draft would be solid regardless of the team, Talent isn't poor or they wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs this season either.

Also you would need to couple this with free agency to have it be evaluated in any meaningful way,
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Matt Millen when asked basically said you don't know who to trust by bringing in two guys mentioned He has a support system in place to grow on the job and get good advice. I also think Tom Gamble will be a big help as well. Was not excited about this hire of Lynch but He already showing He can succeed.
Originally posted by GORO:
Matt Millen when asked basically said you don't know who to trust by bringing in two guys mentioned He has a support system in place to grow on the job and get good advice. I also think Tom Gamble will be a big help as well. Was not excited about this hire of Lynch but He already showing He can succeed.

The surest way for him to fail was going to be to surround himself with a bunch of yes men and people otherwise lacking in experience and ability. He's been showing that he can put his ego aside and if this collaborative approach continues, with everyone on the same page working together towards the same goal, not overly concerned with who gets how much credit and for what, the odds of success increase substantially.
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by thl408:
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/04/16/detroit-lions-draft-history/25881215/

Full spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AwldQiDZ6-tLV-8VPSH4cr9ho0N3RzIVi4c3-v0AkV8/pubhtml

Besides a bad 2014 and 2015 isn't shaping up that great either, the rest is pretty impressive how many players are still playing. A few good pass rushers drafted as well.

2013 wofford is a starter and that is actually a solid roster. All but 3 picks over the past 3 years are on the roster (40% of the roster if my late night math is correct). He was part of selecting a franchise QB and a pass catcher who was their starting TE until this past season.

Most teams appear to employee a 3-4 year plan now with the way rookie contracts are structured so having 3 straight drafts that almost all make the roster and average 3+ starters per draft would be solid regardless of the team, Talent isn't poor or they wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs this season either.

Also you would need to couple this with free agency to have it be evaluated in any meaningful way,

Spreadsheet is slightly out of date it looks like. Van Noy got traded to the Patriots and started in the Super Bowl. Nevin Lawson is also a starter at CB for Detroit, so that's not right on the spreadsheet either.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
The man drafted Lydon Murtha.
He's a boss.
Awesome top 5 picks.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea I like him over Dominik. Good gire

Even if Gire, honestly.
Originally posted by GORO:

Millen was well known to have been extremely arrogant and stubborn. He thought he could do it alone, which is why he failed so badly. Lynch immediately knew hed only be successful if he hired the right people to help him, and essentially played the role of overseeing everything.

Other than the coincidences of being former players at FOX and taking a GM job with no experience, Millen and Lynch have nothing past that in common.

Yeah he already is projected to do better than millen. He swallowed his pride and hired good people around him. Plus he sacrificed the final say to the 53, which is huge cause I think the coaches should always get final say on the 53.
did matt millen surround himself w "football minds" like lynch is doing?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
on the other hand, I would rather do it MILLEN'S way especially that I have 6 years in my contract.. I'd surround myself with people who knows and are very experienced but it since it's my ass that'll be on the line,then it'll be my ass making the decisions..
Originally posted by 9moon:
on the other hand, I would rather do it MILLEN'S way especially that I have 6 years in my contract.. I'd surround myself with people who knows and are very experienced but it since it's my ass that'll be on the line,then it'll be my ass making the decisions..

Sure. But he seems to have placed some chefs around that can bring him the entrees(even if it's the same base,with different flavors)... then he eats a lil of each and decides what he wants to put on the menu as the head kitchen/chef manager.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Mayhew actually was pretty good at drafting. He has quite a few people either starting or still in the league.

I don't think people realize how many draft picks dont pan out.

Bill Belichicks last 5 drafts only have a couple people still there or even in the league.

if you get 2-3 quality starters from a draft, that is a success.

Half of the NFL is made up of undrafted FA's.
Share 49ersWebzone