LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Why is Devin Hester allowed to wear #23?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Ether
  • Veteran
He's technically a Receiver now... not a Running back, not a Cornerback, not a safety. I could've sworn that Receivers only got 10-19, and 80-89? Shouldnt he be forced to change his number, or change position?
that's an interesting question
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
He's an NFL fan favorite. If he was some unknown player who made the switch, then I think the NFL would enforce the rule.
jersey sales. thats why
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
He doesn't have to change his jersey number. He started as a cornerback and switched positions.
Originally posted by crzy:
He doesn't have to change his jersey number. He started as a cornerback and switched positions.

this
Originally posted by valrod33:

this
  • Ether
  • Veteran

So if someone like Calvin Johnson wanted to keep his College #21, he'd be drafted as a Running back or whatever, simply change his position and be allowed to wear #21?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ether:

So if someone like Calvin Johnson wanted to keep his College #21, he'd be drafted as a Running back or whatever, simply change his position and be allowed to wear #21?

If his original NFL position was running back, and then later switched to wide receiver, then yes, he could wear 21.
If John Madden makes an exception for you and gives you 100 SPD attributes, you can pretty much wear any jersey you want.

i think it comes down to money. the fans would be pissed if he was forced to change numbers.

and i thin the nfl would sniff out someone who is trying a gimmick to keep a number. hester was a legit CB coming out of college.
cheaters
23 is a number for eligible receivers.... not necessarily WR's
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
jersey sales. thats why
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
cheaters
Share 49ersWebzone