LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 334 users in the forums

We Now Have the Most Powerful RB Corps in the NFL, Hands-Down

Gore, Coffee, Dixon, and Blount.

Unless Blount gets in trouble (I think the BSU game was an Isolated Incident), he makes the team.

MROB is going to get cut, and Norris may too.

From what I hear, Dixon is a very good blocker, so Norris may be gone; I've also read that Blount is a great blocker as well, and actually enjoys blocking!

Depth Chart:

HB: Gore, Coffee
FB: Dixon, Blount

I can't wait!

We finally have the personnel to execute 'smash-mouth'!
[ Edited by nickbradley on Apr 25, 2010 at 9:22 AM ]
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Unless Blount gets in trouble (I think the BSU game was an Isolated Incident), he makes the team.

From what I hear, Dixon is a very good blocker, so Norris may be gone; I've also read that Blount is a great blocker as well, and actually enjoys blocking!

Depth Chart:

I can't wait!

I can't Imagine us cutting Norris and replacing him with a RB thats never played FB.

maybe just maybe Blount in year two.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Are 230 and 240 pound RB's extinct now, just because they are big running backs doesn't mean they have to move to FB.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:

i just love the 1997 si cover.
Interestingly enough, Blount's playstyle reminds me a lot of Bettis.
Were not moving Blount or Dixon to FB....we have FB's already on the roster. Chances are we go into the season with Gore/Coffee/Dixon and Norris or Miller at FB. Blount will be on the PS learning how to block and run more efficiently. If an injury happens then we may move him up but he wont start the season on the active roster. He went as an UDFA for a reason and it wasn't only because he punched that kid.
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Depth Chart:

I can't wait!

Not only that, Both Blount and Dixon could also play ST! Imagine them with Bowman and Vann/Ginn side by side...oh, did I say K. Williams plays ST, too!

Man, Shotty must be happy.

Then, add Dixon and Blount to the rotational mix and wow, what value!!! We have a way of keeping both. Dixon and Blount in at the same time. Who's going behind Iupati?

Originally posted by jreff22:
Were not moving Blount or Dixon to FB....we have FB's already on the roster. Chances are we go into the season with Gore/Coffee/Dixon and Norris or Miller at FB. Blount will be on the PS learning how to block and run more efficiently. If an injury happens then we may move him up but he wont start the season on the active roster. He went as an UDFA for a reason and it wasn't only because he punched that kid.

I disagree. I can see Dixon being a "Tom Rathman" clone. The reason they took him too was his pass catching abilities. In Raye's offense, he can do much.

I love it simply because we have some "finishers". How many times have we lost the fourth and one battle over the last five years, huh?

I just like having more resources to address that issue.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I wish we had more speed at the RB position.

Originally posted by ninertico:

I disagree. I can see Dixon being a "Tom Rathman" clone. The reason they took him too was his pass catching abilities. In Raye's offense, he can do much.

I love it simply because we have some "finishers". How many times have we lost the fourth and one battle over the last five years, huh?

Brit Miller is a pass catching FB who already knows the position. There were numerous pure FB's on the board in the 7th that we could of drafted as well. The kid is going to be a RB plain and simple, and I'm assuming he was brought in to compete with Coffee. Which ever of the 2 finishes on top will be Gore's primary backup.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Honestly, by the time we picked in the 6th, there were no good speed backs left, Joe McKnight was the last one taken in the 3rd or 4th I believe. I wouldn't have minded a change-of-pace back either, but if we're going power, then Dixon and Blount will hurt defenses, so I'm not too mad, and will reserve judgment until I see them in preseason.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

this
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:

Brit Miller is a pass catching FB who already knows the position. There were numerous pure FB's on the board in the 7th that we could of drafted as well. The kid is going to be a RB plain and simple, and I'm assuming he was brought in to compete with Coffee. Which ever of the 2 finishes on top will be Gore's primary backup.

Exactly, Singletary loves the big Rb's which is probably the reason Coffee put on more weight this off season.
Nate Byham is a 268 lb TE that can also line up at FB. I think the roster competition is:

RB - 3 spots - Gore, Coffee, with Dixon, Blount fighting for 3rd spot

FB - 2 spots - Norris, with Britt and Byham possibly fighting for 3rd spot.

Michael Robinson makes the roster because of his value on special teams.

If it becomes a numbers game, NFL rules would allow Britt and Blount to be stashed away on the practice squad. Coffee played too much last year to be eligible.

I think that's a heck of a RB group.
Share 49ersWebzone