Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Thank OTC as always for the great job you do.

Question: Is it me or is there really that many 1st round talents this year than in year's past? It seems like we may not even have to trade up from our 49-50th position in the second. It seems as though more underclassmen will declare including red-shirt sophs pushing the talent down.

Record year for declarations?

The more the list grows, the more I see how good of a shape we're in to land a fantastic player in the 2nd as well as the 3rd rounds and beyond.

Now, granted there is still time for opinions to change with All-Star games still needing to take place as well as the combine. McCoy could drop to a second round grade for me with a bad game tonight.

My grades will most certainly move at least some for some players, but as it stands, there should be a 1st-round level player available to us in the 2nd and maybe even third round.

That's what I thought and how exciting for us. What a rich draft!

Just a thought...do you think Cody is an option is available in the second to us as opposed to a S, RS, CB, or other? Seems like a ROT, Iupati and Mt. Cody draft solidifies our trenches, but I think secondary will be addressed in the second with RS skills, huh? Just seems more feasible and more options at secondary for a great player.

Thanks again.

Here's what I'm kind of thinking what'll go down.

2) We'll look for a top safety replacement for Lewis above all else after that.

Are you flirting with the idea of bumping Goldson to SS and looking for a new FS?

Unless the right FS prospect is there, I do not want to move Goldson. I think from here he's only going to get better at FS and what we need is a SS complement to take over for M-Lew. Earl Thomas is an SS by the way, so if available, I'd be all for drafting him.

Oh by the way, Snead is added.. And hopefully not to anyone's shock, I give him a 3rd round grade.

He is not 1st round nor 2nd round material in my eyes.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Dude is like...best QB everz man.

Lyk I kno, dood! Snead kan taek us 2 da playofz in '10!

That was exceptionally painful to write. Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Now, more news to add, that I forgot. Virginia Tech DE Jason Worilds also is added now. I grade him as a 3rd rounder. Worilds is a high-motor, non-stop competing guy who will work OL to death out there. Stout and strong against the run, he could make a nice DE/OLB prospect for a 3-4 team.

Quote:
Virginia Tech junior defensive end Jason Worilds announced Thursday that he will forego his senior season and enter the NFL Draft. The Carteret, N.J., native was a two-time All-ACC performer who recorded 49 tackles this year, including 11.0 for loss and 4.5 sacks. He also had one forced fumble, one pass break up and a team-leading 32 quarterback hurries. “Jason is a very talented player, but is also a very smart player,” Tech head coach Frank Beamer said. “He has the toughness to be successful after playing through a shoulder injury last year. We wish him a long NFL career. He was great for Virginia Tech and we wish him the best in the NFL.” “This is a bittersweet day for me,” Worilds said. “The Hokie Nation has been great to me and my family, but it’s time to close this chapter in my life. This is a new and exciting part of my life and I’m excited to see what the future holds.” - Virginia tech football

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/recaps/20100107aaa.html

Worilds reminds me of a slightly bigger version of Parys Haralson when he came out of Tennessee...undersized, smart and tough college DE with a non-stop motor, great get-off from the LOS and enough athleticism to make the transistion to 3-4 OLB. If he runs well and shows good agility at the combine he could very well be a 3rd rounder...if not, he's a solid 4th-5th rounder worth developing.

Which seems more likely now with the team's apparent faith in/complacency with Ahmad Brooks.

There should be many outstanding 3-4 pass-rushers available next year, but we really need a star player now.

I really like Worilds game, he would be a nice fit on the Niners but not sure we really need another guy like him. I think we need an elite talent at that spot and not sure he is that guy.

My hope is that with the influx of underclassmen, a terrific pass-rusher will fall to round 3 and we get our man there. That's the hope, and it is a distinct possibility.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Question: Is it me or is there really that many 1st round talents this year than in year's past? It seems like we may not even have to trade up from our 49-50th position in the second. It seems as though more underclassmen will declare including red-shirt sophs pushing the talent down.

The more the list grows, the more I see how good of a shape we're in to land a fantastic player in the 2nd as well as the 3rd rounds and beyond.

Now, granted there is still time for opinions to change with All-Star games still needing to take place as well as the combine. McCoy could drop to a second round grade for me with a bad game tonight.

My grades will most certainly move at least some for some players, but as it stands, there should be a 1st-round level player available to us in the 2nd and maybe even third round.

Just a thought...do you think Cody is an option is available in the second to us as opposed to a S, RS, CB, or other? Seems like a ROT, Iupati and Mt. Cody draft solidifies our trenches, but I think secondary will be addressed in the second with RS skills, huh? Just seems more feasible and more options at secondary for a great player.

Thanks again.

Are you flirting with the idea of bumping Goldson to SS and looking for a new FS?

Unless the right FS prospect is there, I do not want to move Goldson. I think from here he's only going to get better at FS and what we need is a SS complement to take over for M-Lew. Earl Thomas is an SS by the way, so if available, I'd be all for drafting him.

Oh by the way, Snead is added.. And hopefully not to anyone's shock, I give him a 3rd round grade.

Now, more news to add, that I forgot. Virginia Tech DE Jason Worilds also is added now. I grade him as a 3rd rounder. Worilds is a high-motor, non-stop competing guy who will work OL to death out there. Stout and strong against the run, he could make a nice DE/OLB prospect for a 3-4 team.

Quote:
Virginia Tech junior defensive end Jason Worilds announced Thursday that he will forego his senior season and enter the NFL Draft. The Carteret, N.J., native was a two-time All-ACC performer who recorded 49 tackles this year, including 11.0 for loss and 4.5 sacks. He also had one forced fumble, one pass break up and a team-leading 32 quarterback hurries. “Jason is a very talented player, but is also a very smart player,” Tech head coach Frank Beamer said. “He has the toughness to be successful after playing through a shoulder injury last year. We wish him a long NFL career. He was great for Virginia Tech and we wish him the best in the NFL.” “This is a bittersweet day for me,” Worilds said. “The Hokie Nation has been great to me and my family, but it’s time to close this chapter in my life. This is a new and exciting part of my life and I’m excited to see what the future holds.” - Virginia tech football

Worilds reminds me of a slightly bigger version of Parys Haralson when he came out of Tennessee...undersized, smart and tough college DE with a non-stop motor, great get-off from the LOS and enough athleticism to make the transistion to 3-4 OLB. If he runs well and shows good agility at the combine he could very well be a 3rd rounder...if not, he's a solid 4th-5th rounder worth developing.

Which seems more likely now with the team's apparent faith in/complacency with Ahmad Brooks.

There should be many outstanding 3-4 pass-rushers available next year, but we really need a star player now.

I really like Worilds game, he would be a nice fit on the Niners but not sure we really need another guy like him. I think we need an elite talent at that spot and not sure he is that guy.

My hope is that with the influx of underclassmen, a terrific pass-rusher will fall to round 3 and we get our man there. That's the hope, and it is a distinct possibility.

f**k that. I want Matt Roth.
Burnett, Dwyer, and Morgan of Georgia Tech declare: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4816124

Florida's Dunlap too: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4815630
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by GoFD74:

Thanks again.

Quote:

Do you believe Norwood can be that guy? Also, do you think he can play the TED position?
McClain just declared OTC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4816604
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
McClain just declared OTC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4816604

Thanks. Added.
48 First round talents!!!!

Dang!!! It may be smart to trade down to grab another second in this class especially if one of our guys is taken.

Thanks for the Board again!

Excited about the prospects and watching them over the next few months.

Dang!!! It may be smart to trade down to grab another second in this class especially if one of our guys is taken.

Yep. It's particularly loaded at Receiver, Tackle, and Pass-rusher -- Good for the 49ers.

As far as defensive backs, it may seem like a lot, but there is commonly a lot of DB talent every year, so this is typical. But the other three spots I just mentioned. We need to take advantage this year. We absolutely must.

I know many individuals like Morgan and Hill -- but do either of them pose a threat as gamebreakers? I think not. Don't doubt for a second that we may take a guy who can be better. It could happen.

Yep. It's particularly loaded at Receiver, Tackle, and Pass-rusher -- Good for the 49ers.

As far as defensive backs, it may seem like a lot, but there is commonly a lot of DB talent every year, so this is typical. But the other three spots I just mentioned. We need to take advantage this year. We absolutely must.

I know many individuals like Morgan and Hill -- but do either of them pose a threat as gamebreakers? I think not. Don't doubt for a second that we may take a guy who can be better. It could happen.

I look at the draft, and see our needs along these lines, OT, OG, WR, RS and Pass Rusher, and this draft pool has trememdous amount of players at each of those positions worthy of being drafted in the 1st 4 rounds IMO.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

I look at the draft, and see our needs along these lines, OT, OG, WR, RS and Pass Rusher, and this draft pool has trememdous amount of players at each of those positions worthy of being drafted in the 1st 4 rounds IMO.

It's up to Scot to get it right this year. He has failed miserably up to this point. I absolutely cannot understand his incessant need to reach for players rather than take the value that is there. Scot is wildly, IN EVERY part of that word's existence, wildly inconsistent in drafting. If it's not an "A-Duh-Dah-Dur" pick that anyone in the world could see we need to make, he seems to not know what to do.

I am tired of the nonsense. I see players from both of the last two-three years that I projected to be better players than the ones Scot took, and it bothers me unbelievably that this man is getting paid to do this and is getting less results, making picks that seem completely absent of logic and rationality.

When I, merely a self-educated individual, feel more capable of evaluating talent than a paid official from our front office, that is a serious problem.

FS Major Wright enters draft:
Quote:
Florida junior safety Major Wright told The Miami Herald on Monday that he will enter the 2010 NFL Draft and forgo his senior season of eligibility. "I'm going to the NFL,'' Wright said in a text message. A three-year starter at Florida, Wright was a mainstay for some of the best defenses in Florida football history. A devastating tackler since his days at St. Thomas Aquinas High School, Wright's most memorable hit of his college career came during the first quarter of the 2008 BCS national championship game on Oklahoma's first offensive series. - Joseph Goodman, The Miami Herald

Iowa CB Spievey declares: http://gazetteonline.com/blogs/on-iowa/2010/01/11/spievey-declares-nfl

FS Chad Jones enters NFL draft: http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2010/01/lsu_football_chad_jones_to_ent.html

All three have been added. Wrights grades out to an early 3rd to me. Spievey a late 3rd. Jones a 1st rounder.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 11, 2010 at 20:27:03 ]
Quote:
Florida junior safety Major Wright told The Miami Herald on Monday that he will enter the 2010 NFL Draft and forgo his senior season of eligibility. "I'm going to the NFL,'' Wright said in a text message. A three-year starter at Florida, Wright was a mainstay for some of the best defenses in Florida football history. A devastating tackler since his days at St. Thomas Aquinas High School, Wright's most memorable hit of his college career came during the first quarter of the 2008 BCS national championship game on Oklahoma's first offensive series. - Joseph Goodman, The Miami Herald

Iowa CB Spievey declares: http://gazetteonline.com/blogs/on-iowa/2010/01/11/spievey-declares-nfl

FS Chad Jones enters NFL draft: http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2010/01/lsu_football_chad_jones_to_ent.html

All three have been added. Wrights grades out to an early 3rd to me. Spievey a late 3rd. Jones a 1st rounder.

What do you think of Chad Jones? I thought he was maybe too big to play FS, maybe he could play SS, but I don't know if we need a big safety like that since our main weakness is in coverage? With all these safeties flooding the draft though we might be able to wait untill the 2nd or 3rd to take one. I really like Major Wright's game from what I've seen.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Burnett, Dwyer, and Morgan of Georgia Tech declare: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4816124

Florida's Dunlap too: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4815630

Morgan Burnett!!!!

So if we miss on Berry, Thomas or even Nate Allen we can always draft Burnett!!!!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Quote:

What do you think of Chad Jones? I thought he was maybe too big to play FS, maybe he could play SS, but I don't know if we need a big safety like that since our main weakness is in coverage? With all these safeties flooding the draft though we might be able to wait untill the 2nd or 3rd to take one. I really like Major Wright's game from what I've seen.

With this huge influx, I think we could nab a total steal in Robert Johnson all the way in the middle of the 4th possible. Johnson is completely under the radar compared to these other names, but he's an outstanding playmaker.

Jones is a heck of a SS prospect. Much better than Mays is, in my opinion. Jones actually knows how to tackle. He's not going to time as well as Mays though, and that'll push him down. He still may go in the 1st though. I still think I like Reshad Jones a little better.

Wright has some of the same issues. He wasn't exceptionally productive, doesn't have the incredibly imposing physical stature, and likely won't time as well as many of the other safeties.

We better take advantage of this and don't act stupid with our "Oh gee, we can just pick up a steal of a 5th - 7th round" typical act and pick up some disgusting scrub pick like I fear Scot might. WE MUST DRAFT A SAFETY WITHIN OUR FIRST FIVE PICKS. Roman can't be coming back, Reggie Smith is oft-injured, and Lewis sustained THREE concussions last season. If Scot does not take care of that issue, he's an absolute moron considering this unbelievable influx of talent.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Quote:

With this huge influx, I think we could nab a total steal in Robert Johnson all the way in the middle of the 4th possible. Johnson is completely under the radar compared to these other names, but he's an outstanding playmaker.

Jones is a heck of a SS prospect. Much better than Mays is, in my opinion. Jones actually knows how to tackle. He's not going to time as well as Mays though, and that'll push him down. He still may go in the 1st though. I still think I like Reshad Jones a little better.

Wright has some of the same issues. He wasn't exceptionally productive, doesn't have the incredibly imposing physical stature, and likely won't time as well as many of the other safeties.

We better take advantage of this and don't act stupid with our "Oh gee, we can just pick up a steal of a 5th - 7th round" typical act and pick up some disgusting scrub pick like I fear Scot might. WE MUST DRAFT A SAFETY WITHIN OUR FIRST FIVE PICKS. Roman can't be coming back, Reggie Smith is oft-injured, and Lewis sustained THREE concussions last season. If Scot does not take care of that issue, he's an absolute moron considering this unbelievable influx of talent.

Don't get me wrong bro, I agree with you about the safeties 100%. Thanks
Share 49ersWebzone