There are 175 users in the forums

Alex Smith, 6th Best QB in the NFL (That's Right!)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith, 6th Best QB in the NFL. That's right, according to footballoutsiders.com.

At Footballoutsiders.com, they do advanced statistical analysis. Their best stat is called DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average quarterback in the same game situations. In order to be ranked by FO, you need to have 59 passes -- Alex has 57. So he's unranked.

But if the threshold to being ranked was 2 passes lower, Alex Smith would have the 6th best rating in the NFL.

And that's not the only stat where he excels. Smith is also very high when you compare effective yards to real yards. Effective yards are yards you should be expected to get depending on the situation (opponent, game situation). Smith is getting about 24% more yards than expected. That puts him at #6 in the NFL, tied w/ Drew Brees.

Don't believe me? Look at the stats (link below). The kid is ballin his a$$ off -- give him credit.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb

[ Edited by nickbradley on Nov 3, 2009 at 11:12:21 ]
sweet?
Call the HOF committee immediately.
well well alex you are killing them softly so far, keep it up
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

Who said HOF? You must be a Smtih hater.

I never liked the decision to take Smith over Rodgers, but Smith has sold me over the past 2 games.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Manning
Brady
Brees
Rivers
Rothlisberger

Smith???
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I never liked the decision to take Smith over Rodgers, but Smith has sold me over the past 2 games.

Interesting individual stat... I hope he keeps it up. Too bad this hasn't translated to the win/loss column though...
Alex Smith is playing well so far, but I think I want to see a little more than six quarters of football from him before I really start getting excited. If he's still up there around #6 after six games, then I might mosey on under the excited tent.
Super Bowl, here we come!

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
he's only started one game...calm down
Originally posted by nickbradley:

It doesn't matter to me. Alex, Shaun or whoever, I cheer for the one that gives us the best chance to win. End of story.
Originally posted by fzrdave:
Alex Smith is playing well so far, but I think I want to see a little more than six quarters of football from him before I really start getting excited. If he's still up there around #6 after six games, then I might mosey on under the excited tent.

agreed!
Originally posted by dman:
Manning
Brady
Brees
Rivers
Rothlisberger

Smith???

Forgot Favre (6th). Smith and Favre are at 33% DVOA.
Share 49ersWebzone