LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Is this year's 2-0 start different than '07's

Shop Find 49ers gear online
My answer is yes.

I felt an overwhelming sense of luck in our first two wins that season. Secondly, they were against worse competition. Arizona and Seattle aren't the greatest teams and that's for sure, but they were two big wins for SF and we controlled the tempo of these two games.

In 07, I was very worried after the wins and pretty much shocked that we ended up winning them.

This year the team is playing inspired defense and the offense has played well enough to win.

Singletary has made his stamp on this team... but now's not the time to let up.

They need a big game next week to really get this thing going and Gore needs to rest that ankle.

Let's keep our fingers crossed it was a minor tweak that heals quickly and fully.

-Faithful
Why didn't I make this thread a poll?
definitely
I am convinced after these 2 wins and I wasnt in 07.
Yes. We have a real backup QB.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:
Yes. We have a real backup QB.

yep. alex on the bench will lead us to the superbowl.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
My answer is yes.

I felt an overwhelming sense of luck in our first two wins that season. Secondly, they were against worse competition. Arizona and Seattle aren't the greatest teams and that's for sure, but they were two big wins for SF and we controlled the tempo of these two games.

In 07, I was very worried after the wins and pretty much shocked that we ended up winning them.

This year the team is playing inspired defense and the offense has played well enough to win.

Singletary has made his stamp on this team... but now's not the time to let up.

They need a big game next week to really get this thing going and Gore needs to rest that ankle.

Let's keep our fingers crossed it was a minor tweak that heals quickly and fully.

-Faithful

2007 - Alex Smith

2009 - Shaun Hill

The 09 team looks legit; 07 was a fluke and the majority of the Zone knew it.
  • ForeverYoung08
  • Info N/A
There's only one way to find out. I agree that this team has a different "feel" to it and I think it goes beyond the fans thinking that way. You can tell that this team just has a confidence about themselves that we didn't have in previous seasons.

Next week will be big...a tough test, no doubt, but we ultimately need to prove that we can play with the top guns in the NFC. Beating the Vikings would be enormous.

My biggest concern: Shaun Hill. I know, I know...you can't argue the stats and all he does is win as a starter, but still.
Definitely different.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
2007 - Alex Smith

2009 - Shaun Hill

The 09 team looks legit; 07 was a fluke and the majority of the Zone knew it.

lol

we are like the exact same f**king team, winning the same f**king way, except our defense is 10 times better. seriously?

yes. we are playing well instead of the other team just playing bad. yes we need to work of some things. Esp in the RZ, but I like what i see so far. They can and will get better. GO NINERS!
no doubt in my mind 09 is different...this team has a heart
It's not the same because the Niners were lucky to beat the Cards in the opener for 2007 and got outplayed by the rams in week 2 yet still somehow came away with the win.

However I wouldn't say the Niners 2-0 start is without it's question marks. The Niners offense has looked pretty bad and if not for excellent defense Raye's job would already be in jeopardy. The 49ers CANNOT run the ball when they want to. That was a main point of emphasis all offseason and it's just not happening. Last week we had something like thirty yards rushing. This week Gore had over 200 yards rushing but 160 of those yards came on two plays. When the 49ers needed to pickup first downs on the ground late in the game they couldn't and had to punt.

The play calling today on offense was suspect at best at times. Several third and longs in a row the 49ers call a gimmicky wildcat play. WTF was that all about?

This game should have been put away early in the 4th. The hawks were missing several players including their all-pro LT and yet we let them hang around.

The offense will need to get on track for the first time this season to beat the Vikes.

Go Niners!!!
Yes, big time! In 07 something just wasn't right on offense and you had the feeling it was going to be a year long problem. This year we beat a very good Arizona team on the road and handled a pretty good Seattle team at home. Our defense looks terrific and I was impressed with the changes and adjusments the team was able to make in a week on offense.
Better leadership at the coaching position. Better defense and scheme. Better players. Period. I think we're for real this year. Singletary is the real deal - experience or not.
Share 49ersWebzone