LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Jason Whitlock's Top 10 NFL truths - Nate Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm hearing more and more positive commentaries about this kid... I hope to be surprised as well. Here is what Whitlock has to say:

Link to Whitlock's Top 10 NFL Truths 09'

Quote:
4. I'm not going to write an I-told-you-so column about 49ers rookie quarterback Nate Davis until the conclusion of the season.

Nate, of course, was the best rookie quarterback in the preseason, which wasn't surprising to anyone who followed his remarkable career at Ball State University. Too much has been made of Nate's learning disability. He learns rapidly and at a high level on the football field. He has a natural instinct for the game.

By midseason, I expect Davis to begin earning playing time in San Francisco. Shaun Hill and Alex Smith can't match Nate's natural physical gifts. And 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye (one of the best at teaching pass protection) and quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson (a terrific mentor and communicator) form a perfect combo to develop Davis.

I'm going to wait until the end of the season before going into detail about why Nate slipped to the fifth round. Plus, I want to see how Nate handles the maturity issues that impact quarterback play.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I'm hearing more and more positive commentaries about this kid... I hope to be surprised as well. Here is what Whitlock has to say:

Quote:
4. I'm not going to write an I-told-you-so column about 49ers rookie quarterback Nate Davis until the conclusion of the season.

Nate, of course, was the best rookie quarterback in the preseason, which wasn't surprising to anyone who followed his remarkable career at Ball State University. Too much has been made of Nate's learning disability. He learns rapidly and at a high level on the football field. He has a natural instinct for the game.

By midseason, I expect Davis to begin earning playing time in San Francisco. Shaun Hill and Alex Smith can't match Nate's natural physical gifts. And 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye (one of the best at teaching pass protection) and quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson (a terrific mentor and communicator) form a perfect combo to develop Davis.

I'm going to wait until the end of the season before going into detail about why Nate slipped to the fifth round. Plus, I want to see how Nate handles the maturity issues that impact quarterback play.

Whoops der it is!!!
Great, we are going to have a 4 way competition at training camp next year for the starting qb. hill, smith, davis, and probably another draft pick qb
Gotta admit, i'm pretty excited about Davis' potential. He has natural raw talent.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Wait who is Jason Whitlock and why should I care what he says?
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

No idea but he hit the nail on the head on every other truth.

Dont care what he says, he is a moron some of the worst articles ive read about football or sports has been by this moron.

He thinks Jeff George can still play in the NFL today

I do like Nate Davis tho, and we should let him sit this year and learn the game and next year let him compete for playing time
  • kem99
  • Veteran

Quote:

I generally like Whitlock but his comments here should be put in perspective. He was on the Nate Davis bandwagon all last year, including writing columns blaming ESPN for Davis not being mentioned more in the Heisman Race. So, its not a shock to see him making similar comments now that Davis is in the NFL. I'm not saying his comments are wrong, just realize he has been a Davis fan since long before Davis ever became a 49er.

Jason Whitlock

He is a pretty good writer, well known, and a regular on FoxSports.... I dont care if you care, but his opinion is often regarded as controversial cause he tends to think outside the box. I often like what I hear.
Let him sit a full year, and then discuss it next off-season depending on Hill's or Smith's performance, let's take it slow with this kid, he could have a bright future, bring more talent first.

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Let him sit a full year, and then discuss it next off-season depending on Hill's or Smith's performance, let's take it slow with this kid, he could have a bright future, bring more talent first.

Yes, baby steps. I don't want to see him on the field in a regular season game until game 12 of 2010 at the earliest.
"Nate, of course, was the best rookie quarterback in the preseason"

Sanchez played very well IMO.

-9fA
His take on Davis sounds very encouraging. Let's all hope he is correct and Davis really is a late round gem. It wouldn't be the first time for a QB to come out of nowhere to become a starter.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Yes, baby steps. I don't want to see him on the field in a regular season game until game 12 of 2010 at the earliest.

I would not mind seeing him on the field but only i little bit at the end of some blow out games...

That way he gets some nfl play time and can get use to the game speed.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Jason Whitlock

He is a pretty good writer, well known, and a regular on FoxSports.... I dont care if you care, but his opinion is often regarded as controversial cause he tends to think outside the box. I often like what I hear.

I've heard of him I just don't really care.

Nate Davis is cool

thats my truth
Share 49ersWebzone